“Excellent Cheese!”

Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: European, French, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Area/City Area
Description: Embodying traditional French classic fare, Taratata Brasserie is located within Singapore's CBD in the historical Chinatown. At the helm is Chef and owner Bertrand Raguin from Loire with with well over 30 years of experience in traditional French classic fare, eagerly awaiting to take you on a culinary journey through bringing the best of regional French classics with wholesome, homemade sauces and centuries old recipes to the unrelenting dining crowd in Singapore. At the front of house is Restaurant Manager & Sommelier, Kevin Gueugnon from Dijon, Burgundy. Kevin's amiable disposition with his in-depth knowledge and experience shares his passion for his cultural food and wine heritage. 2-course lunch starts at S$38 per person and includes choice of Foie Gras, French Onion Soup, Escargot, Goat Cheese Salad, Angus Ribeye, Duck Confit, Salmon, Chocolate Lava and Crème Brulèe. A seasonal 4-Course Dinner at S$75 per person is also available daily, along with daily à la carte menu.
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

Came for dinner with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. We ordered the 4 course set dinner at $75++ per person. I had French Onion Soup which was significantly more flavourful than my friend's Crab Bisque. I also enjoyed my Foie Gras more than her Smoked Salmon with white asparagus. We ordered 1 serving of 3 kinds of cheese. The camembert was tasty, the Brillat Savarin tasting like yogurt was also nice but our favourite was the Roquefort. It was the best blue cheese I've ever tasted! Not pungent, it was full bodied, creamy and flavourful. I could eat it without the accompanying cracker, savouring it slowly in my mouth. All 3 are French soft cheeses. For mains, we had Tenderloin and Rack of Lamb. We were already pretty full after the cheese so had a hard time finishing the main courses. The beef was better than the lamb. We had Chocolate Lava for dessert. It was good but we would have appreciated it better if we weren't so full. The set was value for money. Wine pairing available at $65 per pax for every dish. It's really hard to find parking here and it's not accessible via train either. But I'll still go back again. The food's satisfying.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

It is our second time here and it is even fantastic the second time around. Seafood soup is a good start. The Lamb and frog legs is a worth to try dish. Staff’s are very attentive and friendly.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 26 June 2018

I have been a fan of Taratata but not been there for sometime. This occasion of my birthday was less than thrilling. The two classic dishes Coq au Vin and the Lapin had already been sold out by 6.30pm! This was quite surprising since there was only one other couple present. Why bother to put them on the menu if you don't intend to serve them? Service was attentive but the missing menu left a strong air of disappointment

Date of visit: June 2018
Review collected in partnership with www.chope.co
1  Thank FoodieFan555
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Services is attentive without being obtrusive.
Menu is quite wide ranging with all the usual French brasserie fare such as onion soup, escargot, entrecote, coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon, et al.

We had the steak frites and duck confit all well executed. Wine list is good and prices are not exorbitant.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Good
- the service. There were only 2 service staff (presumably 1 manager (in jacket) and 1 junior staff (in normal uniform) - but they more than adequately covered the whole restaurant. On that evening, there were 6 tables occupied, but they were attentive without being obtrusive.
- the decor. I felt transported back to the time I was in France - it was like a little bistro in Lyon/Nice.

Can be better
- the food. My table mostly tried the set-dinner, while I ordered ala-carte. In general, we found about half of the dishes were good/tasty, but half were very *average/mediocre.
- the wine. This is based against places like Wine Connection / 1855 / Wine Company that serve "nice" wine (to me) at decent prices S$20-40+. We had one that was about S$85 - but again - was what I would call "average".

*Please bear in mind the pricing of the food, hence this comment of "average". A soup is about S$20-30, warm/cold appetizers S$20-40, and the mains were S$40 and upwards. So, with these prices (in Singapore), you expect the food to really impress you. Sadly, it didn't.