“As flawless as they say”
Review of Teppei

Teppei
Ranked #797 of 11,380 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2017

One of the best meals I've ever had in my life, and better than the omakase I had at Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo. So, so satisfying and so, so heavenly. Shut up and take my money!

Reviewed 2 September 2017

I've been here a few times now and each time I thoroughly enjoy myself. The first time was oh so unique. The experience was a memory of a lifetime, trying flavours I've never had before and Teppei and his staff make the whole experience fun, rather than focusing on the pretentious fancier side of a dining experience.
I took friends from LA here who dine all round the world, they said this meal would be US$1000 if it was in LA.
Go without expectations, take with you nothing but an open mind and forget about the lack of decor and rough looking open kitchen and don't forget that dining out is sometimes purely about food, and Teppei is all about the food!

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I gave average points because of the mixed experience

I came with high expectations since it was always full and wait list was up to months worth

The pros
Reservation was easy and response was fast
Service crew seem to have a lot of fun behind the counters and made do with very little space, doing their tasks amid the intenses heat and managing customer orders
The value was worth for $80 omakase set - we had more than 8 dishes excluding little delights on spoons or toothpicks such as Japanese tomatoes, grape, seaweed, raw fish etc in between dishes.

Cons
It was incredibly cramped - the lady next to me was jabbing her elbow into my ribs several times during the dinner

Ventilation was a nightmare - It felt like being in a heated kitchen and i had to get out of the restaurant few times to take some fresh air as it was much cooler outside. I ended up selling like a BBQ fish at end of meal.

Service was inconsistent - at times super fast between some dishes then an incredibly long wait for the next one. The chef kept checking with the Neighbour if her food was ok but totally ignored us
My husband was given a hand roll twice the size of mine I asked and was told that he's bigger and needed more food.

I wished they could tell us what is served instead of dumping in front of us. We didn't really know what was served and had to keep asking

I could see the chefs preparing food and I was grossed out - the fish was burnt at the BBQ pit and he was trying his best to scrape out the burnt bits and used the same hands to manage other food.

Two other chefs preparing the raw fish were wiping their sweat off brows, wiping hands on a cloth, opening cupboards and doing other stuff before service. I like open concept but this type of openness was too much to stomach pun.

The music was played at the volume of a disco - so loud it was hard to have a decent conversation. It doesn't help the Neighbous were screaming to heard above the din

Would I recommend someone to go to this place ? If you want value for money omakase and to try this place that so many people rave about but if you want the ambience then pay more and go somewhere else.

1  Thank beachbummer75
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Probably one of the worst meals I've ever had in my life (definitely THE worst once you factor in the price).

You get the lowest grade imaginable for the "expensive" looking ingredients - uni smelling rotting fish, mushy kinmeidai, chopped tuna with the texture of goo, etc. On top of that, you have "chefs" who're more keen to make fun of you/ entertain/serve too many people than take proper care of the food. Chunks of raw fish, a box of uni, etc. are left to rot on the counter for 10+ mins before being served (where it's warm as there's a cooking station behind). If you order the 4 kinds of sushi as a main (thankfully we didn't), they take so long to prepare it that the first piece of fish is left on rice, near a fire for a good 20 mins.

2  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

This hugely popular ! They dunt take reservation so arrive before 11.45am. The Kaisendon set was value for money at $17.60 and I even pack for my dotter ! Rem to add umi ..