“Wonderful food with impeccable service.”

The Tavern Restaurant
Ranked #1,346 of 11,280 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Tavern offers Swiss & Continental Cuisine in an intimate and relaxed Swiss Chalet-inspired corner shop-house at River Valley Road near the Mohamed Sultan Road junction.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a hidden gem if ever there was one.The decor has an Alpine chalet feel and is a peaceful haven.The service is the best I have come across in Singapore and the food we had was heavenly.A delicious Raclette,wonderful Wiener schnitzel and flambé end cherries jubilee were all memorable.Superb steaks,crab moray and lobster are other menu delights.The wine list is special too with a wide selection of Bordeaux noticeably priced.There are some real bargains on the list.Overall an experience not to be missed but often repeated !

1  Thank Epicure134

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We have been eating at the tavern for years. An old faithful for us.

Favorites are the oysters with spinach, the raclette, foie gras appetizer, the choose your own size steak, crepes Suzette and the cherry jubilee...

Wine selection is decent too. A heavy meal so head there when you are hungry, for me it's better for dinner..

1  Thank Kheng
Reviewed 2 September 2013

If you want a classic steak meal with the traditional trimmings, The Tavern is your place. They have downsized recently due to the building next door being demolished, but the food remains the same quality.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had visited The Tavern to celebrate my cousin's birthday. I had made my reservations online and due to some changes, we had to change the date back and forth a little. Every time I edit the date on the online site, it shows that my reservation had been changed.

Two days before the actual visit, I received a call from a angry-sounding man demanding that I confirm my reservation. He accused me of making multiple reservations which I calmly explained I merely changed my reservation. He made it sound like it's all my fault that their online reservation site is not working and ended the call abruptly. Despite this, I decided to give the restaurant a chance and stuck to our plan to visit.

On the day of visit, we were greeted warmly by one of the two staff. The other man, I believe to be the same one on the phone, gave us the cold shoulder by ignoring us in the earlier part of the evening. He only came to our table when taking order and kept pushing the beef despite us telling him that none of us eats beef. He did not smile once and again made us feel very unwelcome.

We ordered quite a few appetisers and mains, some misses here and there. The pan-seared scallops, mango and prawn salad, rack of baby lamb and iberico pork chop were really good - done just nice. The others were not so nice - the angel hair stuck together, the escargot were mediocre, the fish was forgettable, the lobster bisque was a little too salty and the onion soup was way too salty.

All in all, I won't call it a fine dining place, especially given the lack of service staff (two staff for the whole restaurant). Not cheap but not too expensive, given the cosy environment and formal setting of the place. The bill was S$450 excluding wine for the four of us.

1  Thank kittyseng
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Food is good, comparable to or better than places like Lawrys. Price can be a bit steep (mains start on average to $45++) but the food quality is worth it. Environment is cosy but it can get crowded on peak nights. Service is quick and the staff are definitely not part timers or students on temp work.

Last visit to the place was about 15 years ago and I am glad my impression then and now is still good.