“Best steak in the world.............”

The Tavern Restaurant
Ranked #1,346 of 11,280 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Tavern offers Swiss & Continental Cuisine in an intimate and relaxed Swiss Chalet-inspired corner shop-house at River Valley Road near the Mohamed Sultan Road junction.
Reviewed 30 July 2015

From outside you would never know the quality which is inside.
I have visited Mr.Poh's restaurant several times and always had the steak - for which the restaurant is quite famous.
It is expensive - but you see the fresh meat before it is cut - and you choose yourself the size :-)
Highly recommendable if you're a meat lover and want only the best .......

1  Thank PolarbearDK

Reviewed 30 May 2015

~Stella highly recommended this place for succulent prime ribs & delicious crepe suzette. I made a reservation for the same evening for my wife & I

~ The online reservation icon at www.tavern.com.sg leads nowhere, I can guess what prolly happened here was staff found it unfamiliar and could not get used to using it right...just my guess. Make prior reservations, dinner is quite full & the place is a little small but they are friendly over the phone

~ I heard but cannot confirm, this place counts many captains of industry & the top echelons in the government as patrons but I wasn't here for networking. There's a small curtained private room you can book

~We'd a happy local greeting (Singaporean Acceptable) at the door, a huge gentleman sorta reminded me of MIB, found my name and led us to the table. Lighted the electric candle and asked what we'd like to drink. Nice

~Another wait staff brought the menu trolley (ya just gotta see it). I loved this part!

~Why senior friendly? OMG the trolley chalked menu is just simply so understanding. The tavern exudes the charm of a um very small tavern minus the beer & pubbing folks so lighting is a mite dark, but the menu on wheels with huge fonts (lookup photo) suits me just fine... I normally resort to a magnifying card with a led lamp to read menus with really small fonts and I never understand why high priced places ever think that their clientele are 20somethings with great eyesight...this place knows how to treat my eyes well. We ordered the Seared Hokkaido Scallops.

~The beef wagon was suggested with a Wagyu from Japan & another from Australia... the only other times I'd been offered was from Morton's. He sliced 180g Australian Med Rare for my wife and 210g Japanese Med Rare thinly for me.

~the interior is decorated with layers of rustic charming ornaments, huge Jeroboam bottles, wooded furniture and a ton of old world stuff on the walls, you can tell they were aged over years not store bought!

~we were seated near the kitchen counter and I could see how many times the maître (MIB) fussed over the food... oysters were ordered by many patrons (not us) so it's gotta be a favorite

~we shared the Seared Hokkaido Scallops, the largest 3 scallops with a good orange slice citrus taste

~My wife had a glass of excellent red wine Beauregard 2006 together with her steak, but she failed to appreciate the really really normal grilled serving with Béarnaise sauce, not the salt & pepper way but it was good.

~My Japanese thinly slided grilled to Medium Rare was a surprise and easy to eat.

~My son really takes to beer so we packed a portion of both and called for it to be packed to go, no fuss

~ok ok ok, here's the shocking part for all the experience, I did not ask but for the wagon sliced beef we were charged exactly what it would have cost at Morton's !

~Outside the door the very old gentleman with the goatee in white was waiting to wish us a return and called my wife "Mrs Tang" a very personal touch

I will return

1  Thank David T
Reviewed 18 April 2015 via mobile

my boyfriend & I decided to go there despite seeing some nasty & negative feedback. So I went there with little or no expectations. To my surprise, the service and food was beyond words. The 3 staff were extremely friendly & they even shared with us their thoughts on what we could possibly order. When we told them that we were not comfortable with some of their recommendations, I expected them to give me the cold shoulders as I saw this comment somewhere online. To my shock, not only did they not give me the cold shoulders, they smiled and even asked us what was our preference. They made us feel very much at home, respected and comfortable. They were fast in serving the food and paced well. They made sure that we've almost finished our food, or completed that course alr before getting the kitchen to make our next dish. I really appreciate these little acts. The boss happened to come by as well, and he was so very humble and friendly. The Steak was really fresh, juicy and sweet, and the escargot was superb. Not to mention, their foe gras & cherry jubilee was awesome. If ppl are complaining abt the price & all, all I can say is, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. I highly recommend this place, & I'll surely come back again.

1  Thank ecinac2014
Reviewed 15 February 2015

Very, very disappointing all round, overpriced, overrated and not at all good value !
Give this one a miss, try elsewhere plenty to choose from these days.
I won't go in to too much detail only to say basically nothing was good about it, we finished our main course asked for the bill and left , thank you and Good Bye !! Never to visit again !!

Reviewed 28 September 2014 via mobile

Took my girl there for dinner as we walk past this place a lot and always thought we would stop one day.

I am very glad we did !

The interior is very old style charming and the place has a nice relaxed and quiet atmosphere.

Service is very professional and friendly, and they facilitate the old chalkboard way of presenting daily specials, quite endearing.

There are a lot of german area dishes on the menu and my girl is a HUGE schnitzel fan, so it had to be the schnitzel for her: very well executed and tender, nothing to fault, can definitely keep up with an austrian or german schnitzel !

I had the thinly sliced veal "zurich style" with hashbrown "roestis", one of my favourite dishes that I like to cook myself, so my standards are high !

The Tavern did not disappoint, and while I would not call it excellent, it deserves a very good rating.

It is really a nice place and never seems to be overly crowded, so if en route for drinks to Robertson Q, it is well worth a visit for a austro-german inspired meal.

I will be looking forward to a return visit soon !

16  Thank Isselerhof