“Several substandard things keep it from getting a full five star rating”

AMOY by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #2 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 14 November 2016

Okay, first of all, the staff deserve an applause. There's nothing they wouldn't do for you, even before you arrive. "I have a flight change, can you reschedule the pick up?" "Absolutely, sir" "I need a late checkout, is it possible?" "Of course, sir!" "Can I have some eating utensils in my room?" "Coming right up, sir!" No request is too big or too small. They would go head over heels trying to fulfill your request.

The location is really strategic. 10 - 15 minutes to most of Singapore's tourist destinations. Now, this may have something to do with the size of Singapore, where everywhere is practically within walking distance from anywhere else, but still, to think that you could just walk aimlessly from the hotel and suddenly find yourself on Marina Bay is quite an experience.

The room has a small fridge with 8 cans of free drinks, ranging from beer to orange juice and it's all free, included with the room price and is restocked everyday. I doubt you can drink 8 cans of drink in a day, but it's nice to know that you can be sure your favorite drink is waiting for you when you get back to your room.

The bed is one of the softest, most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. Once you lie down, it's hard to get back up for any reason because all you want is just to stay there and drift to sleep until tomorrow. Have I told you that the bed is really soft? And really comfortable?

Now, here's the things that really don't sit well with me:

1. No variety in breakfast. No buffet option here, all they give you is a form where you mark you choice: eggs + sausage / bacon / ham + side dish (tomato / beans / hash). That's it. I stayed there for 5 days and I literally have to eat these same thing for 5 days straight. Sure, they have some complimentary like cereal and bread, but all in all, it's a far cry from other 5 stars hotel and their all-you-can-eat breakfast. Of all the downsides listed here, this is the one that really hit the sore spot with me. Staying at a hotel usually means enjoying luxurious breakfast fit for kings, not eating food that you can cook at home yourself.

2. Room size is small. I mean really small, 2 x 8 meters. Shaped like a straight 'I' and roughly divided into three parts. There's the wardrobe/fridge part near the door, the bedroom part in the middle, and the bathroom part at the end. Not much space for anything else. If your suitcase is rather on the large size, you'd need some skills to maneuver them inside the room.

3. Not much choice in TV channels. They have 24 channels, and with channel #1 is literally a 5 minutes ad for Amoy Hotel played on endless loop and channel #2 is guide to Singapore, that left you with 22 channels where half of them are either not in English or don't have English subtitle for any program they run. I understand that Singapore is all about multi-cultural and multi-racial, but for English-speaking guest, it's kinda hard to kick back and watch TV when you have no idea what's going on on the show.

All in all, this is a nice hotel in a nice location. And if you could lower your expectation in terms of breakfast and room size, the staff service and attitude more than makes up for the shortcoming.

Room Tip: Even if you're traveling alone, get the double room anyway. The single room is too small and res...
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank AlipMarsal
DouglasFernandez, Hotel Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2016

Dear AlipMarsal,

Thank you for your positive review of AMOY Hotel Singapore.

We will definitely extend your kind compliments to our team. It is always a key source of motivation for our associates to be recognized for making a positive difference for our guests. We are also glad that you found the accessibility to the train station as well as the places of attraction highly convenient as well.

We are pleased to read that our beds in the room provided for a restful sojourn. Many guests have commented favourably on the offerings that we provide including the minibar refreshments - we are happy that it served you well.

It is regretful that our food offerings at the restaurant fell short of your expectations. We will continue on a regular basis to review our spread to best suit our guest’s palate. I am sorry to learn of your disapproval for the size of our room. May I check if this was a Cosy Single room? If so, you may wish to consider a Deluxe Double room for more space on your next visit. We have most recently renewed our contract on the television channels - kindly allow us to review if there are more channels that we can add.

We thank you for your valuable feedback and hope to have another opportunity to be of service to you in the future. Do email me at douglasfernandez@fareast.com.sg if I may be of assistance in booking your subsequent visit.

Reviewed 13 November 2016

I can't say enough great things of the Amoy Hotel Staff. Hands down one of the best I have ever encountered. My friend and I were on Asia trip and we stayed at the Amoy Hotel before getting on our cruise. They went over and beyond with there service. Including complementary breakfast, free two person tour of the city, free beverages in the room, and more. They paid for our taxi to the Amoy Hotel on arrival from the airport and then again from the Hotel to the port where the cruise was leaving because they had a road closure on our arrival date. Also, when were returned back to Singapore from our adventures of the cruise they held our luggage in there safe storage while we roamed the city again....To top it off they let us wash up and get ourselves prep for our flight later that day in hotel room.... so nice all the staff were top notch and so so so sweet and accommodating. We can not thank Hannah enough for redirecting us and getting us on our way to cruise on time. Best Hotel.. stay with them and you will have any amazing experience.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
DouglasFernandez, Hotel Manager at AMOY by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

Dear Lilie22016,

Thank you for your wonderful review of AMOY Hotel Singapore.

We will definitely extend your kind compliments to our team especially our Guest Services Executive Ms. Hannah. It is always a key source of motivation for our associates to be recognized for making a positive difference for our guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed the offerings provided including the breakfast, city tour, minibar refreshments and transfers.

We are grateful to you for highly recommending us as a hotel of choice to stay in Singapore. We are most certainly looking forward to welcoming you once again in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to reach me at douglasfernandez@fareast.com.sg should you require assistance with your return visit.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

It's difficult not to repeat the other reviews of this hotel. The location IS absolutely perfect: walking distance to Chinatown, La Pau Sat, Maxwell Street Hawker Stalls, Marina Bay Sands, the Gardens by the Bay. And, there's an MRT stop right next to the hotel for longer junkets (ex. Little India) or return trip relief. The service is crazy friendly, peace-instilling (thought provoking bookmarks slid under the door). Complimentary ottled water and refreshments stocked daily. And the rooms... I had a "Cosy Single", maybe 20 feet by 10 feet. About the size of a travel trailer. You know what? It was GREAT! Somehow the size of the room tucked into the hotel made tucking in after a day of work/sightseeing very relaxing. No wonder bears live in dens and birds in nests.

Room Tip: If there are two of you, you'll need to book something bigger than the "cosy single"
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank MisterMikeSeattle

Dear MisterMikeSeattle,

Thank you for your positive recommendation of AMOY Hotel Singapore.

We are elated to have fulfilled your expectations on the basis of similar reviews describing the hotel as conveniently located across the train station and easily accessible to the delectable eateries around the vicinity. It is a joy to know that you liked the space and layout of our rooms and the amenities provided was up to your expectations. Our team would be most appreciative of your kind compliments to them and greatly motivated that they have created yet another delighted customer.

The AMOY team hopes to have another opportunity of welcoming you once again in the near future. Please email me at douglasfernandez@fareast.com.sg if I may be of assistance should you decide to revisit us once again.

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

We made our first visit to Singapore on the way back to the UK from Australia. Right from the start this hotel made a great impression backed up by first class service. We were picked up, as arranged from the airport, and personally greeted at the hotel with a cocktail and swift immediate check in. Whilst the room was a little small, probably due to the fact that this is a converted Chinese temple and not a purpose built hotel, it was very comfortable, good linen and a firm mattress. The air conditioning was quite and efficient, shower was superb. The real gem about this hotel was the absolutely first class service from all members of staff, Lena was especially helpful. This hotel in interesting and in a great location surrounded by bars and restaurants, we will definitely be back.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear PRD1954,

Thank you for your wonderful review of AMOY Hotel Singapore and we are happy to learn that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us.

I am delighted to read of your genial welcome experience from the airport to the reception and sipping our refreshing Alluring AMOY welcome drink. We are also pleased that you took well to the aesthetics of the hotel which was converted from old shophouses. It is a joy to learn that you enjoyed the comfort of our bed as well as the warm and hospitable service extended by our associates.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another positive experience with us soon. I am contactable via email at douglasfernandez@fareast.com.sg should you require assistance in directly booking your return stay.

Reviewed 12 November 2016

Let me preface this by saying that the rating of a hotel often depends on the price they charge. This hotel was charging 5 star prices and provided only a 3 star experience.

Singapore is filled with same-same business hotels. This one stand out on tripadvisor as an unique Heritage stay.

The good parts:
- Free airport pick up.
- Easy service
- Nice bed
- Central location.

The bad parts:
- The price is ridiculous for the quality. I paid 350 AUD for a night, when the Mandarin Oriental was only charging $360, and the fullerton was charging $320 for the same night.
- The hotel isn't really heritage. It maintained a facade but the rest of the rooms are in an office block modern building.
- The service was just adequate. If someone is struggling with their luggage at the entrance, you'd expect the hotel to give you a hand. Nope, not this place, they just watch you struggle.
- The breakfast is very very poor in quality and quantity.
- The rooms were small and some of the designs didn't make sense. For example, there is a night light next to my head which you can't switch off. I had to cover it with my t-shirt. There is a small living area with a TV but there was no seating, just an empty space, which is so very strange.
- The room I had had a tiny window with no light, and a window I cannot open, which also faced a wall.
- The hotel had none of the other things you'd expect from a 5 star place, such as room-service, pool, gym etc. I would forgive all of that if this was truly a heritage hotel, but it's essentially a fancy hostel with a fancy facade.

If you some how get a room for under 250 dollars, then consider staying here for the location. Otherwise, it's a 3 star hotel charging 5 star prices with average service and no facilities.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple