“Could've Been a Five If Not for The... (a comprehensive review)”

Fragrance Hotel - Pearl
Ranked #166 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Hello Budget Travellers .

If you are like me, have no problem with walking and like to explore the neighborhood then please read on...

Initially I had planned to get a taste of bunking with other strangers in one of the many hostels across Singapore but my fellow travelmates dissuade me from such sinful thoughts .
At first hearing of this hotel chain (I think there is 4 in total), poor ratings came to light, but since I am not so much of a hearsay sort of guy, I decide to do some snooping around and guess what....

It don't dissapoint.... that much

Ok. First Up, it's in the known Redlight District part of Singapore. So all naughty thoughts maybe sprout initially.

Yes... if you explore this district at night, it maybe so true for those Redlight-minded folks but to me it's just another suburb with lots of Redlights... Traffic Lights.

By MRT, you would stop at Aljunied Station and walk (see map) for a leisurely 20 mins.
Get real folks, to walk 15 minutes is like walking in downtown tokyo on a busy Monday Morning. I don't think dragging along your luggage would be so effective.

Taking an Uber to goto Changi Airporf is around 16 SGD and a 30 minute drive.

Catching a bus is my preferred method of getting around as it allows me to do IMPULSE STOPS.
It is when you see things along the way and simple press the bell to stop on the next BusStop should anything interesting appears.

This is how 2 discover Singapore

Now the hotel itself is not that big.
It is a budget/business hotel and upon entering the unattended front lobby doors, you will quickly learn of it's tight spaces. Tight yet somehow comfortable enough to have you sitting there for an hour or two (I will tell you why... later on).

The Check-In Process is quite straight-forward and simple having booked through Agoda several hours beforehand.
I originally booked for only 1 night as the initial impressions through other reviews leave question marks.
I am happy to say that after a night's rest, I extended 2 more nights in the same room on the 3rd floor. Again through Agoda as the prices were cheaper and even the staff recommended to do so as well.

As you can see from the photos I have shared, the room is quite small.
I know that some budget travellers might want to try and squeeze in 3 people, but that would be pushing it too far and you would ultimately rob yourself of a good nights sleep.

The amenities are plentiful as seen and the AC is very cold so you may wanna readjust to 23°c.

Be on the Lookout for the HotWater Button near the door.
If you don't turn that on, you could easily find yourself in an embarrassing moment of complaining in the lobby frontdesk for something seemingly trivial

The TV Channels were not that interesting when only 7 channels are available.But then again, when do you watch tv when fravelling?
I liked that the TV is quite new and therefore has no problem playing media files from a flashdisk. So listening to your personal muaic and movie is a simple setup away.

The Bed is of queen size and I must say is a bit on the hard/firm side. People with back problems may appreciate this as well as the comfy pillows.
Sheets are clean and neatly laid out despite the fact that senior folks are the one that seem to be doing the housekeeping.

Heading into the bathroom, I found the condition to be Clean and Odour Free (if not a bit on the chlorine scent). Toilet tech is good and the shower flows well. Again, don't forget to flick that ON switch for hot water.
I am a big person so what little discomfort I experienced is the very tight shower space that basically had me wiping my back on the shower curtains. Not very comforting. If I don't use the curtains, the rest of the bathroom would all become wet. And the fact that no floor towel was made available could prove messy if you left the bathroom not 100% dry.

Room Soundproofing, to my surprise was quite good as I could not really hear anyone next door during the night. Sure you can hear the waterflow of a shower but that even happens in the best of hotels.
This ultimately leads to better sleep.

For connectivity, the hotel does provide free wifi on every floor but I found that the connection was very unstable inside the room and even in the hallways where wifi extenders could be found.
Ultimately, to stay connected I had to haul myself down to the lobby either in the wee hours of the morning or late at night. Even barefooted .

Outside the Hotel, it is very easy to find food at just about every part of the street.
This I truly appreciated, because often when travelling, extra meal time must be taken into consideration. The variation of menu is abundant and a stones-throw away.

So. Yes...
I would have given this hotel a 5 star for it's grade/class if not for the downfalls afore-mentioned.

If you are not too fidgety about bed comfort, completely ignorant about this establishment being in a redlight district and not a diehard for being online 24/7, then I would definitely recommend this hotel.

I found the staff to be friendly and capable in their spoken language and willing to help when needed.

Remember, when you travel to any place in the world, always begin with a smile when opening a conversation with anyone .

I found that reviews of poor staff behaviour is not completely and always true. And that their grumpiness oftens begins with your way with them.

I have NEVER encountered poor staff service. But then again, I am always smiling at the front desk.

So yeah, go ahead and make your day. Instead of getting airbnb for the same price and getting less amenities, have a try here... at THE PEARL.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank Hotma S

Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

This is a budget hotel.... lacking in some basic comforts.
Pros:
Cheap
Fairly conveniently located.
Don't need to go to the gym...you will get all the exercise you need walking to the 'close' mrt station.
Private bathroom
Great wifi
Great airconditioning

Cons:
Beds are ridiculously hard and uncomfortable
Only one pillow provided
Shelf that mattresses are on has not been cleaned anytime recently.
Hot water in bathroom is cold.

Ok for the price. Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2017

The hotel is OK for budget travelers as the rooms quite small. The bathroom is not very clean (ie: curtain showers, floor). Location is not very convenient as it is far from MRT. However it is a short walk to eateries, mart and bus stop. I use uber most of the time, twice took the bus but not the MRT as it is very long walk about 1km away. The staffs (front office, housekeeping) are very kind and friendly, thank you for that.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Aniss Fadilah N
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

First, I would like to commend their front desk staff, Ms. Siti Anisah, for doing beyond what is expected of her job description to help their guests. I am very grateful!

Second, the room is clean and the beds are comfortable. The room might be a bit small for some but I find it the perfect size if you’ll be spending most of your time outside and not just hole yourself up in the hotel.

And third, e hotel is in an excellent location if you’re a budget traveler. There are so many places to eat in walking distance that cost as low as $3 and they’re REALLY GOOD.

Would definitely stay here again when I come back to SG!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Marielle C
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

It was clean, stylish, roomy with excellent service. Room itself was well equipped and comfortable. I was very pleased with my stay, and although short and sweet this time, I hope to be back for a longer visit in the future. Especially Housekeeping Supervisor was very helpful and always smile. Good job. Well done.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends