“Hawker centre on steroids”

Food Opera @ ION Orchard
Ranked #21 of 215 Quick Bites in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Orchard Road
Description: True to its brand ethos of uniting the best of local street fare in a holistic dining concept, Food Opera offers an elegant ambience that comes together with the multitude of delicious heritage dishes from its 27 vendors to create a unique, nostalgic dining experience. Inspired by the timeless British colonial decor style in Singapore during the 1900s era, the sprawling 19,000 square foot space is awash in light blue and ivory, accentuated with brass and earth tones, and characterised by lush greenery and foliage – trademark design features of the 1900s. Entering Food Opera, diners will be drawn to the alluring sights, sounds and smells from the wide range of stalls, kiosks and mini restaurants serving up a plethora of cuisines from local hawker delights and traditional street snacks. Satisfy your cravings with beef noodles from Scotts Hwa Heng, or choose from an array of fritters from Shou Yi. Thye Hong Hokkien Mee promises to to thrill with their selection of noodles & carrot cake.
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

If you want big variety then this is the place to eat. Big portions with good flavour on a budget. Worth a look.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Food opera is pretty darn amazing. Located in the basement level of ION Orchard, there is plenty of seating even on the weekends when the malls are super crowded. It's so clean. Employees constantly walking around to clean off tables and carts also being pushed around if you want to buy additional beverages if you're already sitting at your table.

Food Opera is your mall food court but on steroids. Filled with a plethora of food choices from sweet to savory. Juice bar, coffee, dessert, laska, hainese chicken rice, noodles...you name it they've got it. I think there has to be something here to satisfy ones taste buds for sure. Food opera I love you you're wonderful. If you're shopping on Orchard definitely stop by Food Opera for a meal!

Date of visit: September 2018
Food R, Marketing Executive at Food Opera @ ION Orchard, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2018

Hi Christine, thank you for the awesome review! We are so happy to know that you love your dining experience at Food Opera. We look forward to having you with us again at your next visit!

Reviewed 15 September 2018

This is the luxury indoor version of a hawker centre in Singapore. It is on the bottom floor of Ion Orchard Mall, off of Orchard Road. There are by my count at least a dozen stalls from which to order, so you can mix-and-match your meal. It is noisy and crowded. For lunch today, I sat with a couple of other people. Don't be shy.
My favorite food here is the Nyonya Prawn Noodle Laksa from the East Coast Lagoon hawker stall. You can get Laksa all over the Singapore island, and many of the outdoor hawker stalls should have equally good and less expensive servings. But if you happen to be in Ion Orchard Mall, and you're hungry, try the Laksa here.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Laurie_and_Paul
Reviewed 3 September 2018

I decided to get lunch here since I was in the shopping centre already and had been recommended this place. I would describe it as an upmarket food court: replicating the hawker centres SG is known for, but in a clean environment with beautiful decor to match the shopping centre. The food choices highlighted famous dishes to try in SG (eg. Laksa, Kaya toast, soy chicken and rice, rendang beef etc), however I was disappointed by the quality of food. I paid ~£6 for a bowl of Laksa and I did not enjoy it - it was overseasoned with salt and there seemed to be 90% soup with only a few bits of seafood. I would say there is much better food for half the price in Hawker centres around SG, but the location and setting made it a convenient location for lunch.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 28 August 2018

My wife & I, were in Singapore 5 years ago and we returned just recently on the way back from a European holiday. We decided to go to a food court in Orchard Road, what a disappointing experience. We remembered how lovely the food was 5 years ago and now it is all Westernised, fast food, Average at Best. We went back to Maxwell house - street food and the food was just like we remembered - lovely. Go out and get the street food, don't waste your time with the food courts in Orchard Road.

Date of visit: July 2018