“Pink Chicken!”

Food Opera @ ION Orchard
Ranked #27 of 275 Quick Bites in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Central Area/City Area
Description: True to its brand ethos of uniting the best of local street fare in a holistic dining concept, Food Opera offers an elegant ambience that comes together with the multitude of delicious heritage dishes from its 27 vendors to create a unique, nostalgic dining experience. Inspired by the timeless British colonial decor style in Singapore during the 1900s era, the sprawling 19,000 square foot space is awash in light blue and ivory, accentuated with brass and earth tones, and characterised by lush greenery and foliage – trademark design features of the 1900s. Entering Food Opera, diners will be drawn to the alluring sights, sounds and smells from the wide range of stalls, kiosks and mini restaurants serving up a plethora of cuisines from local hawker delights and traditional street snacks. Satisfy your cravings with beef noodles from Scotts Hwa Heng, or choose from an array of fritters from Shou Yi. Thye Hong Hokkien Mee promises to to thrill with their selection of noodles & carrot cake.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My mother went to the Mixed Rice place and got the curry chicken leg and vege. Firstly, it is all cold and then she digs into the chicken leg and it’s pink and bloody! A bit of background on myself. I am a fully certified Food Safety Supervisor and I work as an Assistant Manager in a Chicken store in Australia called Red Rooster with 2 years experience and I Know if I served chicken that pink to my customers, they’d complain too.

She took it back under my advice and received a piece cold fried chicken which was perfectly cooked however. Please teach your staff food safety and the dangers of undercooked food because it’s an inconvenience she doesn’t deserve. I’m pretty sure you have procedures for hold times & the basic knowledge of the Temperature danger zone. Pretty disappointing really but at least she wasn’t hungry. Just thought I’d raise it to your attention.

I had pepper lunch & it was beautiful in every way and it was as good as I remember after not living in Singapore for 3 years.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank ProphetofMetal
FoodRepublicSG, Manager at Food Opera @ ION Orchard, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear ProphetofMetal,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the above incident. Like you, we are concerned about food hygiene and safety. We understand the need for chicken to be well-cooked. We have since taken steps to prevent future occurrences - including speaking with the head chef and all food handlers about the need to adhere to proper cooking and warming up of food items. We have also since reinforced the importance of food safety to all our food handlers.
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you still had a good meal at Food Opera. We look forward to an opportunity to have you dine with us again.

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

This food center at Ion Orchard serving many good choices of food menu from many countries. I love the Indonesian cuisine which is serving at Padang outlet.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

This is a great place for lunch when you visiting Singapore. Lots of variety of food, very cheap and you get full. You will als meet nice people there. However, it can be very crowded on saturday and sundays.

Date of visit: March 2018
FoodRepublicSG, Marketing Executive at Food Opera @ ION Orchard, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2018

Hi Svein,

Thank you for your review on Food Opera. Yes, we can get busy at times. The crowd and hustle and bustle of Food Opera does kind of mirror the street food scene in the old days in Singapore in some ways, sans the hot weather. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your dining experience. Look forward to having you with us again at your next visit.

Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

Dried prawn noodle always my first choice when I came over SG. This foodcourt version isn’t that bad, just can’t beat the Beach Rd and Old Airport Rd.

The fried hokkien prawn noodle is damn good mix with sambal and lime kasthuri. The prawn is big too.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank shuxianivy
Reviewed 16 October 2018

The Food Opera provides a wide range of choices of Asian food. It is easily accessible via the MRT. The tables are cleaned constantly. The food is freshly prepared (hawker-style). The prices reflect the more upscale location, but are still reasonable value.

Date of visit: October 2018