“Good choice but very busy”

Food Opera @ ION Orchard
Ranked #27 of 275 Quick Bites in Singapore
Neighbourhood: Central Area/City Area
Description: True to its brand ethos of uniting the best of local street fare in a holistic dining concept, Food Opera offers an elegant ambience that comes together with the multitude of delicious heritage dishes from its 27 vendors to create a unique, nostalgic dining experience. Inspired by the timeless British colonial decor style in Singapore during the 1900s era, the sprawling 19,000 square foot space is awash in light blue and ivory, accentuated with brass and earth tones, and characterised by lush greenery and foliage – trademark design features of the 1900s. Entering Food Opera, diners will be drawn to the alluring sights, sounds and smells from the wide range of stalls, kiosks and mini restaurants serving up a plethora of cuisines from local hawker delights and traditional street snacks. Satisfy your cravings with beef noodles from Scotts Hwa Heng, or choose from an array of fritters from Shou Yi. Thye Hong Hokkien Mee promises to to thrill with their selection of noodles & carrot cake.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Dined here about 2-3 times during our 6 day stay in Singapore. It was ideally located to our hotel (Hilton).

There was plenty of Asian choices. We dined at Sergent Hainenese chicken, prawn laksa, soya chicken wings, tofu rice. All the food was pretty good but not to the standard to say Smith St in Chinatown. We visited at various times and the place was always busy. It was a struggle but we did always find a seat.

Tip - if you want to try somewhere similar but not as crowded, try the Food Republic, Shaw House, it is just on the opposite side of Orchard Road also at the basement level.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Good selection of local food - tried Chicken Rice and Indonesian stall, western - salads at premium prices but given level of service and location it’s fair. Juice bar serves well prepared jucies and does not add water. You can pay with credit card.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Great place for quick lunch/dinner if you are in the area. There are many choices/variety of dishes to choose from. The places are clean and not too crowded.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My mother went to the Mixed Rice place and got the curry chicken leg and vege. Firstly, it is all cold and then she digs into the chicken leg and it’s pink and bloody! A bit of background on myself. I am a fully certified Food Safety Supervisor and I work as an Assistant Manager in a Chicken store in Australia called Red Rooster with 2 years experience and I Know if I served chicken that pink to my customers, they’d complain too.

She took it back under my advice and received a piece cold fried chicken which was perfectly cooked however. Please teach your staff food safety and the dangers of undercooked food because it’s an inconvenience she doesn’t deserve. I’m pretty sure you have procedures for hold times & the basic knowledge of the Temperature danger zone. Pretty disappointing really but at least she wasn’t hungry. Just thought I’d raise it to your attention.

I had pepper lunch & it was beautiful in every way and it was as good as I remember after not living in Singapore for 3 years.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank ProphetofMetal
FoodRepublicSG, Manager at Food Opera @ ION Orchard, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear ProphetofMetal,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the above incident. Like you, we are concerned about food hygiene and safety. We understand the need for chicken to be well-cooked. We have since taken steps to prevent future occurrences - including speaking with the head chef and all food handlers about the need to adhere to proper cooking and warming up of food items. We have also since reinforced the importance of food safety to all our food handlers.
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you still had a good meal at Food Opera. We look forward to an opportunity to have you dine with us again.

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

This food center at Ion Orchard serving many good choices of food menu from many countries. I love the Indonesian cuisine which is serving at Padang outlet.

Date of visit: November 2018