“real alternative”

Hotel Vagabond, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #8 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
“real alternative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 week ago

Compared to other higher class hotels is the vagabond a refreshing alternative.
Great location in little India which gives you a great chioce for food.
Fancy interior in all details.
Fair Price.
Friendly personal.

• Stayed April 2017, travelled solo
VagabondSingapore, General Manager at Hotel Vagabond, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Luftikus1,

Thank you so much for your five 'star' review! So glad you enjoyes our location and the many great choices of food around us!

It's interesting to watch tripadvisor responses...they usually only get written if it invokes a strong setiment...good or bad! Glad we are receiving some good ones lately!

Lady Boss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 week ago

a quirky place to stay. exotic surroundings and lots of fun with friendly staff. Club lounge facilities were excellent if a little pricey. Art decorates all the walls.the hotel is near the underground system and interesting places in Little India and the muslim area.

Stayed April 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear jefmccann,

Thank you for you five 'satr' review of us! Am also so happy to hear you found the Club lounge facilities to be 'excellent'! Best value for money would be ro purchase a Club category room which would include the access for free.

Since you enjoyed the area, you may also enjoy some new hashtags on instagram/facebook! They are a pictoral representation of our tag line: 'If you must get into trouble, do it at the vagabond' as well as one of our vagabond storylines -- The Vagabond Citizen -- soon to feature three individuals who epitomise the vagabond spirit!

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great stay. Unique hotel. Everybody is so unbelievable helpful and friendly. One of the best night sleeps I ever had in a hotel. So much art, the video installation in the elevator is mind blowing. The best hotel I stayed in a long time. The interior is unique, but I loved it. Food is great, just had the eggs Benedict for breakfast. Stayed in the Fullerton Bay before, next time I again choose the Vagabond. And Etro amenities, another highlight. Unfortunately I have to leave already.

Stayed April 2017
VagabondSingapore, General Manager at Hotel Vagabond, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear ThomasLudwig,

Thank you so much for mentioning the staff, the 'best sleep I ever had in a hotel', and for saying we were 'the best hotel' you had stayed in a long time.

We are supremely flattered!

I hope you will continue to wish to hear about the happenings at vagabond -- we started new hashtags on instagram/facebook! They are a pictoral representation of our tag line: 'If you must get into trouble, do it at the vagabond' as well as one of our vagabond storylines -- The Vagabond Citizen -- soon to feature three individuals who epitomise the vagabond spirit!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 week ago

Let me frame this review by stating the following:
1) I stay in business hotels regularly
2) We stayed over on our first wedding anniversary
3) I dislocated my shoulder on our last night (an old injury triggered by wrong movement --- unrelated to #2, I just need to say)

This is by far the best hotel experience I've ever had in Singapore. If you dislike impersonal but well-appointed rooms like myself and my husband, Hotel Vagabond is perfect for you. Some people may argue that it's a little further from the central business district (it's right at the edge of Little India), but having grown up in Manila where a 2km journey takes an hour, the extra ten minutes from Hotel Vagabond to Orchard is totally fine. It's the first hotel that truly gave us a peek at old Singapore glamor. The hotel is at once elegant and maximalist, like walking into Baz Luhrmann's brain while he's at the zoo. The room was gorgeous, smaller than most yes, but the sliding doors give you the feeling that you're in a 1920's film. We fell completely in love with the space.

The next thing I sould highlight is the attention to the customer. I had noted in my booking that it was our anniversary, and apart from the cake they had sent up, every single member of the staff seemed to know what occasion it was. It was a relatively lean staff (the bartender -- I've forgotten his name I'm sorry!--- was also the waiter and the guy who helped us with our bags) but they were truly attentive. We did not get to experience the club in the evenings, but the staff never relented in inviting us to enjoy it. We appreciated the hotel's guided walking tour leaflets as well --- perfect if you'd like to enjoy the cultural significance of what you're seeing.

The food is above average and the drinks are spectacular. My husband and I preferred to venture out to the hawker areas for food, but if you prefer a good meal within the confines of a great space (and a skylight!) -- this is for you.

The very last thing I want to highlight is that the evening hotel manager Sara (who is the spitting image of Christina Hendricks, mind you) personally helped us with my arm injury. I had to be taken to the hospital to have it fixed (I was a-ok 3 hours later), but Sara went out of her way to hold my hand while the paramedics were carrying me to the ambulance. The next morning, Rachel from the front desk asked how I was feeling. This same thing happened in other hotels and this is the first time I've ever been taken care of in this manner.

Given this long winded review, I sincerely hope I've conveyed how grateful I am that we chose this hotel. We will most certainly be back.

Room Tip: all of the rooms are great. we chose a standard one and it was gorgeous.
  • Stayed April 2017, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paula D
Dear Paula D,

Thank you so much for your AMAZING review of us! (I'm sorry it took me a while to reply - I needed to find the time to do it justice.)

To have you say that you stay in business hotels regularly, and to say that 'This is by far the best hotel expereince' you've ever had in SIngapore....and 'It's the first hotel that truly gave us a peek at old Singapore glamor'... are the best compliments we could receive.

Yes our lean staff is amazing - I actually believe that when people multi-task it benefits everyone -- 1) the customer - because the staff member knows different aspects of your needs (without receiving the knowledge in a hand-over); 2) the staff member - because the job never gets boring; and 3) the hotel - because to run a 41 room luxury boutique hotel is quite a delicate balance.

Thank you fo saying that our food is above average. So glad for Chef Aaron to receive this compliment from you. I can take no credit for this as I can't boil water:( Thank you too for the special mention of Sara and Rachel (and yes she - as all the staff at hôtel vagabond are really 'lookers').

Since you enjoyed the maps, you may also enjoy following some new hashtags on instagram/facebook! They are a pictoral representation of our tag line: 'If you must get into trouble, do it at the vagabond' as well as one of our vagabond storylines -- The Vagabond Citizen -- soon to feature three individuals who epitomise the vagabond spirit!

#CitizenVagabond

Looking forward to having you return and meet you in-person!

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I booked this hotel due to it's proximity to the airport and the ability to use Starwood points.

Like other guests, I was surprised by the lack of anyone greeting guests at the door to the lobby.

I enjoyed the eclectic decor of both the lobby and the rooms. The bedrooms are very small, which is fine for a short stay but the bathrooms are claustrophobic.
My main issue with the hotel are that it is very musty smelling, which I could forgive except they have tried to cover up the must with an unpleasant (at least to me) incense/fragrance. The combination of the odor and the street noise actually kept me up all night.

Last comment, I was very surprised that as a Starwood member with status that you still had to pay for Executive Club usage. That is unlike any Starwood property I've used recently. I passed on that access due to the short duration of my stay.

Stayed April 2017
1 Thank lovelytraveler72
VagabondSingapore, General Manager at Hotel Vagabond, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear lovelytraveler72,

Thank you for your review of the hotel! So sorry no one was at the door to open it for you when you arrived...would you be able to let me know the time you arrived? Being a 41 room boutique hotel, our Guest Services Executives are multi-taskers (which I'm terribly proud of) and thus at times if we have a crowd at the watering hole (Reception/Rhino), a door may go unopened but we do try to strive to do so for every guest.

Regarding the musty smell and noise - again, I would really love to know your room number as we must check out the issue. Humidity in the tropics is exhausting to battle. I wonder why we in Singapore don't have built-in de-humidifiers. Regardless, thank you for highlighting this to us...we are in the process of changing our air-conditioning service provider as well as contemplating taking to task the M&E consultant.

With regards to the Executive Lounge access...if you are a platinum member of Starwood, then we would have been wrong to deny you access, also - if you had purchased a Club category room. Please do email me harbedi@hotelvagabondsingapore.com as I'd love to know more details.