Open today: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM

from US$11.00
from US$58.36
from US$37.06
1,106 results
All reviews asian art supreme court city hall holding cells special exhibition art pieces art education juan luna permanent collection high court local artists wonderful building south east asia on display amazing architecture roof garden free admission
Reviewed 3 December 2018

Really cool place with a lot of history regarding Singapore. Can take you a couple of days to see the entire place especially with the special exhibitions. To get most of the building highlights I suggest that you do a tour which is free with admission.

1  Thank RahulMD
Reviewed 2 December 2018

The gallery contains some magnificent works by local artists. They are displayed well in enormous spaces. Take a tour with one of the volunteers to really discover the collection. Some guides will also point out features of the new building, which is a re-vamp of the old Supreme Court and City Hall. Aspects of the old courts and judge's chambers and original furniture have been retained, so the viewer has a sense of the history of the building even though there is art on the walls. Guides will point out features you are certain to overlook. Old holding cells are there to see, and make sure you take the elevator to the rooftop for stunning views of the city.

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank BrissieJim
Reviewed 29 November 2018

If the answer to any of the above is, "Yes", then you should definitely consider visiting the National Gallery of Singapore. It's easy to get to. Several MRT stations are nearby but City Hall is closest - and that is probably because half of the Gallery is housed within the old City Hall. The other half of the Gallery is in the adjacent Supreme Court Building. From the outside both buildings demonstrate their colonial majesty admirably (and are designated national monuments) but were converted into a terrific, flexible art and culture space in 2015. The interiors itself is worth the admission fee alone!

But, of course, art is the real draw. The Gallery hosts the world's largest public collection of Singaporean and Southeast Asian art. Spanning many different eras, styles, media and ethnic origin, the collection is rich and, to be honest, my wife and I failed to get round everything in our first trip. We will be back though!

If you are in Singapore for only a short time and only have a couple of hours to visit I would recommend one of the free guided tours. These are mostly delivered by highly knowledgeable docents and appear to run on the hour (late morning into the afternoon), covering different exhibits. We attended one tour and it was a great way to dive into some the Gallery's highlight works.

Nice cafe facilities and restaurants are on site if you need to recharge and rest your feet. The Gallery shop is also worth a browse!

Reviewed 28 November 2018

Our visit to the National Gallery was interesting with different areas set aside for art from different South East Asian regions. It was not as spectacular as some other galleries, but particularly interesting because its inclusion with the court.

Reviewed 23 November 2018 via mobile

It is a beautiful space. It clearly has fantastic art. My “could” is because I found the pricing structure confusing and I did read and I did ask. I clearly needed a general entry ticket but I’m afraid I didn’t find that clear until I was politely asked to leave a gallery. The member of staff was lovely about it. I had admittance to a special exhibition which was fine and I think I should have not paid because of another exhibition I’d visited.

Do go but check carefully you have the right entrance ticket, the staff on the counter will help but I clearly asked the wrong questions.