“Quaint B&B with a few problems”
Review of Puerto Natura

Puerto Natura
Ranked #15 of 101 Valparaiso B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2016

I stayed here a few days with another person in one of their smaller rooms. There were many things that appealed to me about this B&B but I would not recommend it because of a few concerns that arose during our stay.

What I liked:
1) Not a tourist chain hotel, it has unique charm and character. The rooms are pretty, clean, and well-maintained. We didn't have a private bathroom booked, but ended up with one because no one was in the room next to us.
2) Near La Sebastiana - literally a few minutes walk uphill
3) Close to a place where "colectivos" (cheap collective/shared taxis) take you down to Plazuela Ecuador, which is near the center of everything
4) Lovely cooked-to-order breakfast included - they have great options like traditional bread, which tastes fresh and hot.

What I didn't like:
1) They call themselves a hotel on some booking websites, when they are not.
2) False advertising: they claim to have laundry facilities and room service, but when I asked for these - room service on a night when we had just arrived and were worried about wandering around after dark as restaurants nearby seemed to be closed - they said it wasn't available. I wasn't asking for a full-course meal, just a sandwich and coffee within the hours they state they provide the service.
3) Staff does not speak English - the two women working there were generally nice but communication was difficult, especially for my travel companion who doesn't speak any Spanish. Now, I get that Chile is a Spanish-speaking country, and I like that. I made the effort to speak Spanish, but I am a beginner. Unless you speak quite well, it will be a struggle to ask for basic things.
4) Staff was not well-informed about how to get around in the area. I asked for basic pick-up/drop-off info. about colectivos and they couldn't tell me. I figured it out by myself eventually, but it made it extremely hard to get around at first.
5) This b&b is located on Cerro (hill) Bellavista. It's a good 15-20 min walk up a quite steep hill from the flat part of the town. You need to be reasonably fit to walk up, and it is not recommended for anyone elderly, disabled, or who struggles with hills.
6) Many restaurants seem to be nearby but most close by dusk. We went two nights without dinner because we hadn't figured out the colectivo yet and it was too dark to get out. Bellavista is a residential hill, and for this reason, can be dangerous as it is isolated after dark. We were advised by locals not to walk around there after dark.
7) Room was freezing, even with the small space heater. Made it quite miserable.
8) WiFi issues - they gave me the wrong password twice, and until they realized it, told me the "signal is weak" and I'd just have to deal with it. If you have traveled abroad, you know you rely on wifi for everything. Then, for the last 18 hours of my stay, it connected but did not work at all.

Therefore, I do not recommend this place. It has lovely personal charm, but you should consider carefully whether you are willing to deal with the drawbacks.

Room Tip: Book one of the slightly more expensive rooms for more space and privacy
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2016

A lovely b&b and spa, built by the same builder as Pablo Neruda's La Sebastiana and has a similar look and feel. Nice, clean spacious room with amazing view, great bed and pillows, good breakfast, lovely lounge and garden area and beautiful therapies available. I had a rose petal bath, therapeutic massage and face mask and it's one of the best treatments I've had. The owner and staff are lovely, the location is good and overall (especially for the price) I'd highly recommend it, thank you Pautricio and team.

Room Tip: Bahia in the attic is special.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

Just the garden alone makes this b&b the best place to stay in Valparaiso. Its a stones throw from Neruda's La Sebastiana, and the views from the two sitting rooms are superb! The host has a Buddhist monk-like inner calm and happiness.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

This spa/b&b is absolutely wonderful. I did a one night stay and spa package with my mom for my birthday and it was just perfect. The rooms are really cute and the other spaces are beautiful with great views and a relaxing atmosphere. Breakfast is so much food and the massages were possibly the best we've had. 100% recommend!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2015 via mobile

The hotel is really fantastic!! Here you can find confortable rooms, with excelent beds and a huge bathroom, besides in the common areas you fell like in home! A trully family ambient. You have an amazing view of Valparaiso. The hotel is close to La Sebastiana museum, part of Neruda's Foundation. Here you also can find SPA services. Patrício, the owner, is very pleasent and friendly, and all staff is very thoughtful and lovely. A great place to join and relax! Be smart and book your holiday there! Thank you Patrício for your hospitallity and thanks to all your staff!! I will be back as soon as possible!

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends