Carlota
US$161
  • Breakfast included
US$72
US$68
All reviewsrooftop barboutique hotelamazing restorationwalking distance to everythinghotel ownersold townrooms and common areashistoric districtmodern convenienceslocal ingredientsthe hotel's restauranteach guestrecommend this hotel to anyonebeautiful hotelthree blockssmall roomthree nights
Reviewed 24 January 2018

I found myself in Quito without my expected companions and was momentarily at a loss. The staff at the Carlota made me feel entirely welcome and were helpful on every level as I learned to navigate this wonderful city. My room was beautifully designed, exceptionally comfortable, and very well-kept. The hotel has a fantastic breakfast, a good restaurant, and a roof deck for cocktails and expansive city views. I highly recommend this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: I loved my room with a street-facing balcony.
Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo

Dear Jessie W

Receive warm greetings from us here at Carlota.
It was a great pleasure having you here with us.

Thank you, we really appreciate your comment!

We will keep working hard to always exceed our guests expectations.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Hotel Carlota is a charming boutique hotel in heart of colonial Quito. Its a few blocks from Plaza Grande and a great location for exploring old town Quito. We stayed there for only few days before heading to the Galapagos Islands.

We had 2 people stay in Room Mirlo, which is considered a triple but really is a small double room at the top of the stairs. There is a full bed on the floor level and another bed at bunk level above, reached only by ladder. Its most likely intended for a family with the parents on the first level bed and child in the above bunk. The room does get a lot of natural light with a nice skylight above with remote control for the blinds. There is no closet space and little room on the floor for luggage. it would be useful if there could be some built in wall unit to hang clothes. However, for the price, it was more than reasonable.

The hotel staff were very warm, friendly and accommodating. I was allowed to check in early before the allotted time with no issues and laundry was completed for me within one day.

The 2nd floor has a nice shared lounge room with an "Honesty" bar. The more entertaining spot is the rooftop lounge, which is available at all times but the staffed bar is only open from 5-10pm. This rooftop has some amazing views of Quito. In our opinion, it has a similar or even better view than Vista Hermosa, the rooftop/bar restaurant that is a block away.

Breakfast was included and made to order for us at the restaurant. The fruit and bread were fresh and the eggs were great. It felt very much like a home cooked meal with fresh ingredients. We did not have other meals at the restaurant as we were always going out.

We met one of the owners, Renato, on one of the days and he provided us with the history of the building, how it was a property owned by his grandmother and how they converted it to a historic hotel. He also emphasized the environmental aspects of the hotel (solar energy panels on roof, reclaimed and recycled material, etc). Its very impressive and the building still maintains its quaint appearance but with a touch of modernism.

Overall, a very pleasant experience and excellent service. If I returned, I'd be interested in trying one of the other unique rooms at the Hotel.

Stayed: December 2017

Dear Henry L

Thank you very much to take your time to write about your experience at Carlota. We are glad to know that you really enjoy your stay with us!

We love what we do, and we will keep working hard to always exceed our guests expectations.

if you come back to Ecuador, we are looking forward to have you here again!

Reviewed 20 January 2018

We really enjoyed this small, quiet hotel. The service was great, the breakfasts & tea we enjoyed were a real treat. Our coffee drinkers say they got their best cup of coffee in Ecuador here! I loved the design of the hotel. There is a roof top lounge area with very nice views where you can enjoy a drink or brunch when available. The staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful (shout out to Ana, Lisbeth, Carlos!).

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank kbernh

Dear guest

It was a really pleasure to have you here!

Thank you very much for your very nice comment. We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay.

We love that we do. Our job is to make you feel at home.

Thank you for choosing Carlota!

Reviewed 20 January 2018

Pros:
Excellent location in the Old Town. The hotel looks just like the photos. Clean and modern. The staff goes above and beyond to be helpful. The benefit to a restaurant in the hotel is that the breakfast included with our room was good. On the weekends it was a buffet of eggs, meats, bread, spreads, cheese, fruit etc.. and during the week a plated meal. My son who does not care for eggs was given rice and chicken for breakfast. Each cup of coffee is made fresh. The city of Quito had fireworks which could be viewed from the roof top patio.

Cons:
Our double room on the first floor opened to an open air courtyard. The door to our room was an antique wooden door. It was very chilly in December and the room was cold. There is a wall heater with an on/off switch only one level of temperature, it took a very long time to warm the room. I would suggest leaving it on or if the hotel deems this to be a fire hazard they should ask each guest if they would like their heater turned at least 2 hours in advance of your return. The bathroom did not have a heater or a heating lamp and never became comfortable for me. I think on warm days this hotel design would allow for comfortable quarters. Quito is in the mountains. We had two rooms and only one had the soft, fluffy down comforters advertised on line. We asked for extra blankets the first night which we received however the second night the person who cleaned the room had removed them. Our other room on the second floor which was located more inward was warmer.
I asked 4 other people staying at the hotel if they were chilled and the two women said, "yes" - the men said, "no". We had our New Year's Eve dinner at the hotel's restaurant, unusual flavors which I am not accustomed to, the food was plated in a lovely way but the recipes used were fair and the food was not hot. The service was excellent. This is a new hotel and they are trying so hard to get it right, I hope in time these kinks are worked out.

New Year's Eve:
Walking around the Mariscal district by the Hilton and Marriott hotels during the day was fun. There was a contest of who made the best huge, stuffed paper "doll" to be burned at midnight. Loads of people were in costumes. Tons of people wandering down the main street of Mariscal. Men dress up as women, and people give them coins, small change. As they can't find their husband Old Father time and are about to become a widow. (something like that) it's good fun.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank TopazSunshine

Dear guest

Thank very much for your value comment!

To know the experience of the guest in our hotel, makes each day improve processes to always offer the best and that the guest leaves with the best memory of Carlota.

We hope that your visit in Quito and Carlota have been unforgettable.

We are looking forward to have you here again.

Reviewed 10 January 2018

this is a small beautifully designed hotel with personal service and excellent attentive staff. We stayed there three times during our travels in Ecuador and each time my impression of this establishment was supported. Great breakfast and great restaurant too.

Room Tip: all rooms are good that I stayed in
Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Renato S, other at Carlota, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2018

Dear AndreCarl

Receive warm greetings from everyone here at Carlota. We want to thank you for your very valuable comment.

It was a great pleasure for us, to have you and your friends here.

We will keep working hard to always exceed our guests expectations.

And we expect to see you again in a near future.

Regards