“Very good restaurant with excellent view!”

Restaurante El Ventanal
Ranked #53 of 1,509 Restaurants in Quito
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The panoramic restaurant El Ventanal is located in the historic neighbourhood of San Juan, offering a spectacular view of the colonial centre of Quito, the Panecillo and the famous Avenue of the Volcanoes. The breath-taking view, accompanied by our refined international cuisine and a minimalistic interior, make El Ventanal a captivating place where quality and service give you an unforgettable experience. We offer a variety of international dishes and creative Ecuadorian cooking, harmoniously paired with our extensive selection of wines.
Reviewed 30 July 2017

We went here as part of our tour package as our last night in Quito before we left for the Galapagos. The service was really nice, and the view from the roof was amazing. We all had a celebratory drink on the roof, then sat down for a lovely dinner. I had the shrimp appetizer and the fruit dessert and the chicken entree, nothing exceptional but very good. And the staff was very friendly and helpful. So, overall I would say very good food, and wonderful service and ambiance.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Although it is difficult to find (especially after dark, even for cab drivers), this restaurant is well worth the trip. My husband and I celebrated our 21st anniversary with a dinner at El Ventanal, recommended by Ecuadorian friends, and WOW! Getting there was a bit harrowing as the cab driver had to stop at least twice to ask directions, and then a guard led us to the long walkway to the restaurant (all of this would be much easier during daylight hours), but once we got there, we were SO glad we had! We had reserved a "romantic" table, and romantic it was--strewn with rose petals. We shared an enormous cocktail (one glass was amaretto and vodka, and the larger glass it sat in was passionfruit liqueur and pineapple juice) which was great fun and quite tasty. I had my favorite Ecuadorian soup, locro, and it was superb--the best I've had in a restaurant. My husband had prawns which were also delicious. For the entree, I had barracuda with pasta which was perfectly cooked and wonderful--very like swordfish. My husband had a beef dish encased in a pastry crust which he loved as well. We both had lovely desserts and enjoyed sharing a complimentary glass of canelazo while gazing out at the truly spectacular view of the city. This was an unforgettable evening at a superb restaurant!

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

I immediately knew that I was expecting too much when I bit into the bread and it was noticeably stale and dry. I ordered Locro as an appetizer and it was nothing special. As a main course I ordered fish. The fish had not been cleaned properly and I had to remove several bones from my moth as I ate my food. The glassware, dishes, furniture and silverware were obviously cheap and low quality. I ordered lemon pie as dessert and it was again stale and dry.

After a meal I didn't like I asked for the check and paid more than $100 for mediocre food for two people. Expensive and bad tasting food. I feel scammed tbh

The view was nice but it's obvious the place has not been insulated properly and the dining room was as cold as outside. There are not enough space heaters for everyone either. So I basically spent two hours eating mediocre food while feeling cold. My girlfriend said the same.

Service was decent, hence 2/5 instead of 1/5. Would not recommend. Will not return.

Elventanal Q, Gerente at Restaurante El Ventanal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2017

Dear customer,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that the food was not up to your expectations. As you can see from the vast majority of reviews regarding our cuisine, most customers find our dishes to be of quality befitting our their high standards and expectations. All our dishes are prepared fresh on the day as well as our bread and food preparation is always done in accordance with the highest standards by our trained staff. However, we take every review seriously and any complaints or observations are reported to staff and an investigation in initiated in order to determine why your expectations and our standards were not met in order to avoid any problems for our customers and inssure they enjoy their evening with us.
We are surprised that you did not report these issues with us during your visit as we would have been happy to change the dishes if they were not to your liking.
We will also be reviewing your comments on the insulation of the dining rooms as this is the first time we have received a complaint in this regard but we will certainly follow up on this and take further action to rectify this if necessary.
We thank you again for your time in bringing these issues to our attention and we apologise again for any inconvenience and disappointment caused.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

This is a fancy dining place. The view from the top overlooking the entire city includes the lighted up Panecillo Virgin looking down to the valley. The walls are all clear for the viewing. We placed our orders and we headed upstairs to take some pictures. There is also a spiral staircase downstairs that leads to the actual bar. If you wonder why there are two prices on their menu, the second one is the price after taxes. They also tack in the service charge in the end so watch your bill.
We started with the canelaso drink and we had a toast. Then our bread and entrée arrived. Portions were just right and we had different choices like ravioli, sopas con mariscos, langostini, pasta with tagliatelle, pomodoro y 4 quesos. It was a non-eventful dining experience. My group was not necessarily very impressed. They said it was just the view that sells the place, the food was average. We just wanted to eat and head out to town for the night life. Again, service charge is automatically included so check your bill.

Reviewed 13 April 2017

El Ventanal is perhaps one of the best restaurants in Quito, not only for the delicious food and great service but for the unique view of the old Quito. Located n a very strategic place in the hills of San Juan, the view cant be better. Highly recommended.