“Great Stay in Penthouse Room”
Review of Amaru Hostal

Amaru Hostal
Ranked #35 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights total (1 before Machu Picchu and 2 after), and were lucky to get the penthouse room for all 3 (I think room #24?). We were considering other hotels closer to the main square for about $100 a night but I'm glad we chose this place instead.

PROS
- Great location. Just a 5 minute walk from the main square. Others mentioned that it was an uphill walk but honestly it only starts turning uphill towards the very end 1/2 block - the rest is mostly flat or just a slight slope that isn't bad at all. The San Blas area is quite charming and has restaurants, shops, etc.
- Cheap. We paid $60/night.
- Nice staff. The staff was both helpful and very friendly to us.
- Clean. Both bedroom and bathroom were very clean.
- Penthouse room was spacious and had great views. There were 2 beds - 1 single, 1 double/queen as well as a little chair/sitting area in the corner. Lots of windows offering great views both in the day and night. No idea how other rooms compare.
- Free breakfast was fruit with yoghurt and cereal grains on top (tasty) + your choice of eggs.
- We didn't have any issue with noise from other rooms but maybe the ground floor rooms are worse?
- Free coca tea. And you can buy bottled water from the front desk (small or big bottles) at a decent price which was convenient.

CONS
- For the penthouse room, be aware that there are some steep stairs to get up to the room after going through the front door. Gets a little tricky with luggage but the staff helped us with luggage most of the time and I'm sure they would help if you asked.
- Can get a little cold in the rooms if it's a chilly night. You need to pay $3 a night extra for a small space heater which only works OK. We only had 1 night where we really needed the heater and took the covers from the other bed as well. The other 2 nights were OK without a heater but the weather was only mild.

We did also use their laundry service which was an OK price and convenient.

All in all i would definitely stay here again but would of course request the penthouse room since I'm assuming it's one of the nicer ones.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whereugoin

Reviewed 21 September 2012

I had a very nice stay here. Great location and staff, combined with no problems and warm beds make it an A+ in my book! The courtyards are very pleasant and plenty of coca tea make its nice to spend time outside. The breakfast is tasty as well.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank OtterWynn
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Here is my review, I staid 3 nights there in 2 different single rooms :
++ Convenient location very close to Plaza de armas, cathedral, restaurants, etc
++ Convenient to book the room in advance, possible to book through internet
+ Free pick up at the airport
+ Nice garden, breakfast included in the price
+ Clean room, comfortable bed, nice furniture
- Room noisy (rooms at the ground floor), difficult to have a full night even with hear plugs :(
- Quite expensive in the end
- Pick up free from the airport only, don't expect a free pick from the train station
-- People at the front desk helpful but not "very nice"..a smile from time to time would be welcome

Room Tip: 1st floor should be more quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

I spent one night here. The hotel arranged someone to meet me at the airport which was comforting.

Our room was clean and orderly. There is no heat and hot water only in the shower (pressure could've been better). The room also had a small LCD tv for viewing.

The hotel is in a lovely garden setting. Wifi in our room was extremely weak so I often didn't bother. The hotel's computer shuts down at 10pm for some reason. There's a short walk up a steep staircase to get to the hotel. It's not very long but it felt so high up on the hill with my altitude sickness!! I am pretty fit and I was heavy breathing only after a few steps! Locations is only a few blocks away from the Plaza de Armas though so if you can get over altitude sickness, this place should be on for you!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed here before and after our trip on the Inca Trail. The place was exactly like it was pictured. My only two complaints were that the rooms were not heated. Apparently this is standard, but I was not aware of it. You can rent a heater, but in truth we didn't because we did not get too cold. We also had a problem with the hot water in our second room, but we were able to switch to another without any problem. For the money, I think it is reasonable. The location is good, expect for a slight hill that you have to climb. The climb up is not the problem, rather the downing down is. The sidewalk is incredibly slick and at some point everyone in our party almost hit the deck.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family