All reviews great location breakfast included short stay dorm lockers
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We arrived from Ica on a Thursday night (over Easter Long Weekend). The plan wasn't to stay in Lima but to go on to Huaraz, however we missed our bus...problem is, Lima's heavily booked up during Easter week. So we got dropped off by the taxi near Parque Kennedy, and I'm familiar with Lima and a number of hostels. After walking to 3 or 4 hostels at 11:30 pm at night, I finally went to this Flying Dog, figuring that they would at least have space in ONE of their properties.

They didn't. I said to the woman, in good Spanish, that we had been walking for over half an hour and asked VERY politely if she would be willing to allow me to call a few hostels to see if one had availability. She was completely rude and one of the most unhappy looking hostel workers I've ever seen and she told me very curtly and rudely, "no, you'll have to keep walking". With all of our backpacks in the middle of the night in Miraflores being hassled every 10 seconds by people trying to sell us either drugs or prostitutes.

I asked her again, very politely once more, to PLEASE let us make a couple of phone calls. And even more rudely this time, she said "No. Please leave now." So we started to leave, and I turned around told her that her attitude and unwillingness to even help the tiniest little bit would be earning the hostel a horrible review.

Well, just our luck, there was another couple just coming back to the hostel and said they were allergic to the cats they have (wtf, what a stupid thing for a hostel to have when SO many people are allergic), and that they, too, had been put off by this absolutely despicable woman working at the front desk, so they were changing hostels. Being that it was midnight and we were exhausted after a long day of sandboarding in Huacachina and then a 6 hour bus ride, we asked if we could have their room, and she hesitantly gave it to us. But she glared at us for the rest of the night, only grudgingly gave us the wifi password after we asked her for it three times, and was overall the most horrible person I've ever met in a hostel.

The woman we checked out through the next day, she seemed to be a manager, was lovely, though when she asked us how our stay was, I wanted to tell her that her staff managed to completely ruin it for us. I didn't, because I didn't want to get into it and just wanted to get to our bus to go to Huaraz.

But the one woman as well as their cats made our stay very trying (we're also allergic to cats, just more mildly so than the couple who so graciously left us their beds).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MapleHoja
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here by myself for five nights in a large dorm. Flying Dog rotates their staff from their several hostels and the two guys at the front desk during my stay weren't as friendly or easy going as in other hostels during my month in Peru. My only interactions with them were behind the glass window and I felt like I was bothering them when asking a question. Smile more.

The facilities are nice, especially the garden patio in the back and lounge up top, but in my four days there, they were rarely used. The location is great, in the heart of Miraflores, which is good and bad. You can find cheap eats here if you look hard enough though, or you can pretend you're in America and blow your money in Larcomar or on Starbucks and Pinkberry next door. It was interesting that for breakfast you get a ticket that you take across the way (they have two buildings, it's easy to be confused at first) to a nice cafe in the plaza.

I'd probably try another hostel out next time, but they're a good safe bet if you're only using it as a base for day trips.

Room Tip: Don't choose the smaller dorm on the 2nd floor as the 8 people in the larger dorm have to walk through your room to use your bathroom too.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

My main reason for writing this one is because I arrived there unannounced and unfortunately there were no rooms available at either of there hostels. The person at the counter was super busy but made time to ensure that I had another place to go. I have relatively no Spanish up my sleeve and he ensured I got to where I needed to go without it seeming too much of a hassle, thank you man!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank LPM81
Reviewed 14 January 2013

One of my friends & I travel to Lima & Cusco over the memorial had holiday in June 2012. This was my first experience staying at hostel and got what was expecting. We had a private room at the three locations we stayed (2 in Lima & 1 in cusco). Staff were friendly and the best part was meeting folks from all across the world.

We spent two nights when we first arrived at the Double Tree Hotel by Hilton since I had enough points for a free stay. But my friend & I both thought we would have enjoyed just staying the hostel from the get go.

Room Tip: Spend a little more $ and get a private room! It will be well worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We stayed 3 times at the flying dog, on diez canseco 117. There are 4 fluying dogs around parque Kennedy. In this one we stayed twice in room 5 (double bed) which opens on to the kitchen so is noisy untill late at night. Good breakfast at the cafe on the square was included and all this for 60 soles we thought it was a good deal. The last time we stayed we splased out (76 soles) on room 11 which was MUCH nicer - TV with english channels, air con, but most importantly thick old walls and barely any noise. Also huge windows which openend onto the the square - beautiful. (1 floor up so very safe). Very comfy double bed. The cafe charges 18 soles each for breakfast so 76 soles for two people including breakfast is pretty good for such a central safe location. There is a big fat ginger cat, Pablo, he doesnt go into the rooms. Oh, and we always had a hot shower. And the internet connection is quite fast, good for skype.

Room Tip: Choose 11!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple