“Bright moments from to childhood...”
Review of Hedgehog Monument

Hedgehog Monument
Ranked #26 of 548 things to do in Kiev
Reviewed 18 August 2017

When I saw pics in Tripadvisor about this hedgehog, I was sure, that I want to see it. In reality its smaller than seems on photos, but still very special. His phenomena cant be described... Hedgehog's meaning (in fog) is understandable only for my generation from postsoviet countries, I think. This is a bright memory from dark age, story what tells about basic values to be a human. Surprising is, that simple made wooden sculpture covered with screws owns this special feeling, what can be seen in this old cartoon "Hedgehog in Fog"... I saw old churches and other great places in Kiev, but this small modest corner left me an amazing impression.

1  Thank Sulev N
"pics"
"sophia"
"statues"

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

By far the best hedgehog monument I've ever seen, but this is first one I've ever seen so.....

jmeem42016's earlier post on this page and his directions were spot on. Follow these and you'll find hoggy in quick time.

1  Thank Rich-Lee-Rewarded
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Hedgehog has a strong meaning for locals, bringing back memories of childhood. It's a good way to introduce old Soviet culture through cartoons.

1  Thank adrianou31
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Because hedgehogs were always one of my favorite animals, and I even had a tame hedgehog in my childhood, to see this monument was one of our priority. Even to read about it fired up my memories, about rescuing him, walking with him, having fun with him, and never-ever forget about him.
So I draw a map, where to go to reach this monument, that wasn’t too successful. We were inquiring and directed to the wrong place, and after kilometers of walk, someone finaly told us exactly where to go, and how to get there. As we realized later on, we were walking in that area already a few times before, but never noticed this cute little monument. It’s so well hidden, that even a few meters away you aren’t aware of it.
The best instruction is, to go to Golden Gate, and you’re very close to it.
With a wondrous face, the little elf hiding in the foliage, just as in reality. The hedgehogs live their lives at night and often only their loud sniffers call on you. Since this little thing does not give any sound, it's even harder to find it than a real fellow.
Worth to search for it, that you find is a real sweetheart.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 July 2017

We spent 2.5 hours finding this little guy. Part of the problem was the map we had, which is very popular, doesn't show this monument and once when we were close we were given bad advice and sent off for one kilometer in the wrong direction. So here's how to find it.
Take the metro to the exchange between the red and green metro lines (Tetral'na on the red, Zoloti vorata on green) then find the Golden Gate, which is in a park you can see from Vlodymyrs'ka street that runs by the Sophia church. There is a road parallel to Vlodymyrs'ka named Zolovorits'ka opposite the metro station entrance. If you walk towards Sophia on this road you will find two small park-like triangles about 200 m north from the Golden Gate, between cross streets Reitars'ka and Heoriivs'kyi. In the triangle closest to Sophia is the Hedgehog Monument, which is worth a photo. The metal quills are sharp so avoid them as with a real hedgehog.

2  Thank jmeem42016