Barcelo San Salvador(San Salvador)
US$83
US$61
Hotels.com
US$85
US$58
US$109
US$62
Priceline
Alojamiento El Salvador Guest House(San Salvador)(Great Value!)
US$35
US$89
Always Hotel(San Salvador)
US$25
Orbitz.com
Ali"s Downtown(San Salvador)(Great Value!)
US$21
Hotel Marela(San Salvador)
US$75
US$72
Hotels.com
All reviewsrecommend this hotel to anyonegreat hoteluniversitiesjaviersupermarket
Reviewed 7 April 2016

Stayed at the Hotel Alicante last week in room 22. Was visiting the city on a business trip and my hosts put me up here. The hotel seems like it used to be a house at some point in its history and was converted to a hotel with a wing of rooms added to it. Amenities include a pool and restaurant.

Overall, I had a very nice stay at the Alicante. The rooms were clean, tidy, well-kept and included a wardrobe and small safe for personal items. The bathroom was a good size and the housekeeping staff kept the room clean and replaced the soap and shampoo daily - though sometimes they didn't replace the hand towel but that's a minor issue.

It's pretty warm and humid in San Salvador this time of year and the air conditioning worked but wasn't always quite up to the task of keeping the room cold - personally speaking, I like my room to be nice and chilly. Many a night I would wake up early in the morning because the air conditioning just wasn't keeping up.

Another thing that I didn't enjoy were the beds. They were very firm. So, if you're the kind of person who enjoys firm to hard beds, this will be fantastic. I prefer softer, fluffier and down-filled, so I had fitful sleeps that were just uncomfortable. It's really the detail of the air conditioning and hard beds that keeps me from giving the Alicante an Excellent rating.

For the most part, the staff was very friendly and very accommodating. What I enjoyed most was that from the moment after we arrived, introduced ourselves and checked in, the staff never asked us again who we were or asked for our room number. They just knew who we were and we could order drinks and food or ask for irons and such and they would just appear and that was that. Everyone knew who we were from that point forward. That's something special that you don't find in many hotels anywhere in the world.

The restaurant had a wide assortment of food on their menu, from breakfast to spaghettis to meats and burgers. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was very affordable and quite nice. Over the course of the week, I had Huevos Divorciados, Pancakes, Bacon, Omlettes, French Toast, Huevos Montulenos and hash browns. Lots and lots of hash browns - all of which were quite good, though the curious thing was that they didn't always have both green and red salsas to make the divorciados. Did I mention the hash browns? Not fancy in the least but nice and crispy, just the way I like it.

Located in the neighborhood of Antiguo Cuscatlan, the hotel is nicely situated in-between a variety of restaurants, pupuserias and a nice cafe called 4 Monkeys.

The difficult part of San Salvador is getting around. Everyone cautions about street taxis and recommends having the hotel call you a taxi. The one time I was interested, someone offered to drive me for seven dollars. I realize that this doesn't sound like much but a US$14 round trip is pretty pricey for where I wanted to go. That said, the malls of Gran Via and Multicentro are rather close.

Overall, I enjoyed staying at the Alicante, the staff was very good. I just wish they had more comfortable beds and really cold air conditioning. There is limited parking outside, it you happen to have a car, and armed security outside the door.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2016

Clean, comfortable, attractive rooms, and court yard where you can eat or relax in a small pool. Air conditioning in the rooms works well. Rates are very reasonable rates in a walkable neighborhood. Parking.

Room Tip: Be specific e.g. do you want to be upstairs where you can leave your room and have a nice view? etc.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2015

The location is great, with several good pupuserias and shops nearby, and only a $5 taxi ride from most places. The rooms are clean, uncluttered, and have good showers with lots of pressure (and hot water! Perhaps there was an issue with the tank when RockwallTraveler was here).

The restaurant is nice, and not overtly expensive. Beer is about $2, which is more than other places in San Salvador, but it is a nice change from Canada, and is just a little more expensive than what I pay in Nicaragua.

Most importantly, the people are amazing! I cannot say enough how helpful and kind they have been. One of the gentlemen spent over 25 minutes phoning our bus company when we noticed a discrepancy on the tickets, and went out of his way to ensure that we would arrive at the right time and place.

Room Tip: Room 20 is nice, but no wifi and door directly to street. Room 2 has no good windows, but good wifi and shower.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2015

I stayed at Alicante for a week last year and am staying here for another week now. It's in a quiet neighborhood very near the UCA (Universidad Centro America). The rooms and bathrooms are clean, the beds very firm and most important, very nice and helpful people. I arrived at 10:30 p.m. and it was nice to see Javier from last year and even nicer that he remembered me from last year.
You do need to speak a little Spanish and make an effort to be nice. No, it's not the Ritz Carlton, but then again, it's under $50. I like the fact that Alicante is not a sterile environment (e.g. big hotel) and that the smiles seem sincere. I've had hot water for showers on all the days I've stayed here. And yes, you're in Central America, it's 85 degrees and 90% humidity, there are bugs.
I am in room 5 which has a queen bed and overlooks the patio area, not the street. The free wifi works great in this room. It has 3 sets of 3-prong outlets (good, since I forgot my 2-prong adapter). It has windows you can open and you can close the windows and turn on the air conditioning when it gets too hot. Right now, I'm working in my room, they're running the pool cleaner and it sounds like bubbling water, nice!
Cooked to order breakfast is quite tasty and is included in the room rate.

Room Tip: Room 5 is quiet and has great wifi reception
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Peggy T
Reviewed 30 November 2014

Moved to Alicante hotel to be with tour group. No hot water, said Salvadorians do not take hot water showers. Wondered whether they cleaned dishes and cooked with hot water. Poor sanitation everywhere. Very poor wifi, ok link to wifi with 1/2 watt booster but very slow link to internet. Room 23 high ceiling mounted AC, on 16 degrees to get comfortable 22 degrees at eye level. Secluded hotel, not located in optimum part of town.

Room Tip: Rooms 18 and 19 on 3rd floor have a view. Room 23 overlooks an dark empty street.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple