Hotel Selva Verde
US$65
US$86
US$119
US$97
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 May 2015

This hotel offers small cabins throughout the property, accompanied by an open-air restaurant and nice, though kind of small, pool. The plants and vegetation are lovely. From a visual overview, it's a nice place. There is security at the entrance 24/7, though an employee strongly urged us to lock up tight including closing all windows when we left the property. There are no safe boxes for storage of valuables.

I stayed in a two bedroom cabin that also included a sitting room, dining area and kitchenette. On the web, this sounded wonderful. Note, though, that the kitchenette has no dishes, pans, etc. - one must bring everything to make and serve meals. There was a microwave, stove and small (dorm-room size) refrigerator. One of the bedrooms had a double bed; the other had two twins. None of the windows had screens. Things seemed very clean upon arrival.

I stayed five nights, and my room was only minimally serviced once during my stay. This was after 3 nights, when I specifically asked if they could at least empty the trash because of smell. They did empty the trash and exchange a towel but did not sweep, mop or make beds.

There are air conditioners in the bedrooms, which were very helpful for sleeping due to the heat. However, the one in my bedroom was noisy and though it theoretically can be adjusted for temperature, it didn't change whether on low, medium or high. So I'd put it on and it would cool the room, but then it would get so cool that the room would be too cold (and I'm a generally hot person, so this is unusual for me). So I'd get up, turn it off, go back to sleep, until it got too hot again, and then would turn it back on. Sleeping with the windows open is a possibility, but as there are no screens, come prepared with mosquito repellent and prepare for other kinds of crawly things that might come in. The sitting room/kitchen area is not air conditioned nor are there fans. In my cabin (#12), there as an open patio in the middle, so when there was a breeze, it was OK, but it could get very hot.

I did swim in the pool, which seems to be well-maintained and clean. Though they have wireless internet, we had great difficulty connecting. They provided us with the password which got us connected, but opening a browser page required another password, which we didn't have.

I was disappointed with the restaurant. The personnel were certainly eager to please and tried hard, even accommodating a very early breakfast that was required by our group. However, when we arrived on a Saturday, they said they had been unable to shop so had very little available for our meals on Sunday - no fruit or ice cream at all, and very limited choices for entrees. Things improved a little after they shopped Monday. The beef entrees that I had (fajitas one day and "a la plancha" another) were both tough. When the four of us ordered fajitas, tortillas came out one at a time, so that by the time the fourth person in the party received her tortilla, the first person was finished eating.

Just a little about me in case you want context (is this "teacherprof" reviewer an uninitiated tourist?) I am a U.S. citizen but have resided in Costa Rica (1 year), Venezuela (5 years) and Spain (14 years) and have traveled extensively. I don't expect nor want my accommodations overseas to be just like home (stay home if that's what you want). I expected heat, bugs, and having to put the TP in the waste basket. But I was disappointed with service and quality in the restaurant and the cleanliness of the rooms.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed here just one night but I can highly recommend it not only because of the food, also the rooms were great with a djungle-feeling over them. We had time to enjoy both dinner and the tasty breakfastbuffé at the hotel. Clean and safe!

• Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank Hilma L
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I was here with a large group. Authentic Nica food, nice pool and welcoming grounds.
The well kept rooms are mostly in individual buildings or floors, save the several in the original hacienda of the once coffee plantation.
A caged parrot and monkey provide entertainment foy all, especially children. For some reason, Lolita (parrot) talks up a Spanish storm with children, largely ignoring adults.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank BobH966
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Am eco-type lodge built around a former plantation house, on a hillside outside of Managua. Mostly individual bungalows, with very friendly staff. Ten days of peacefulness and tranquility. Great view of the far off storms moving about.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BobH966
Reviewed 29 January 2012

If you're looking to stay in the city of Managua but would like to escape the hustle and bustle of the city living then the Hotel Selva Verde is a must! It's like staying in a home-like hotel that looks like a tree house bungalow. The ambiance of the hotel is encapsulated with the richness of a rainforest feel. You are surrounded by the freshness of plants and flowers and did I mention they have a cute lil monkey Kiko? (sp?) Anyways, he's a lil cutie that greets you in the morning. They have little cozy sections with hammocks where you can bask in the sun or shade. There is a pool, pavilion area as a restaurant and the peacefulness of nature. I loved the breakfast there! The staff was friendly and helpful. I also liked how secure the hotel was. I never worried about security or my things because everything was securely protected and gated. The area is up on a hill so you don't ever have to worry about being too hot. There is always a cool breeze in Monte Tabor! I never had to use my AC but they have it, in case you'd like to use it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo