Hotel Benidorm
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$251
US$226
  • Pool
Riande Aeropuerto(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$100
  • Breakfast included
Le Meridien Panama(Panama City)
US$146
  • Pool
Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis(Panama City)
US$164
US$124
US$120
US$184
US$179
  • Beachfront
Best Western Plus Panama Zen Hotel(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$464
US$232
Bookit.com
US$75
US$122
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel meets all of the basics: clean, not a violent neighborhood, wifi. It is located in a very working-class neighborhood. A meet-the-basics kinda place like this needs something to set it apart to make it feel like you could come back again, but it doesn't.

What killed it for me were two events. 1 although I had asked the same staff not to clean my room in the 4 days I was there, they still knocked on my door at 8am several times, entered once when I was there without knocking - AND entered and cleaned as I was away getting breakfast.

Killer # 2 On the day of my checkout I was asked to give a deposit before going to breakfast, with the manager giving me a sour face from her office. I got the impression that they've had some people run out on them without paying and I think that the manager summed me up as much. Wow. What an insult. I bet I've been around the world 30 times over than she has - oh, and always payed my way - even in 5-star hotels.

One thing that could've avoided any grievances is simply a Do Not Disturb sign: this is the first hotel I've EVER stayed in that doesn't have one. I cannot suggest anything that would help them trust their Guests more.

Overall, the place is clean, the showers work well, TV is small and 90's style and there are few channels, but they are clear. They have very reliable, easy-to-access internet in the rooms, which I rely on completely. The staff is decent: If you ask a question they try to answer with whatever knowledge they have in their heads but do go beyond that. The receptionist did kindly ask me for any other comments. With regards to sleep: it's all relative. The street is rather busy with cars if you want to sleep early, but other than that there is no noise. I was able to sleep just fine.

Taxi's know Hotel Benidorm. If they don't, you just tell them "Avenida Perú, delante del (in front of) Machetazo" Machetazo is a well-known department store.

The working-class neighborhood is about a 45-minute walk ($1.50 taxi) to the Casco Antiguo and also from the hotel area with all of the nice restaurants. You will find you are only 3 blocks from the pedestrian bridge that takes you over to the "Cinta Costera" or the boardwalk. From there it's a straight, pleasant zip down to the Old Town or, conversely, up into the high rises.

If you like to feel the working class and get the sense of what real life is like in Panama - that was my mission here, actually - then this isn't a bad area since it's also not far from major city areas. You cannot expect foofy food options in this area. But mom-and-pop places and medium-sized older restaurants abound.

The best that I found in this area was a street food permanent kiosk (meaning, it doesn't have wheels and actually has a cooker) where the 4 ladies working at it refer to you affectionately as "cariño" (sweety). This is can be found on the hotel's main street, Rd 29. If you have Machetazo in front of you and the Hotel to your back, go right. A few blocks down you'll have the National Archives building and then to your right a park. Just after the park you'll see this little shack. Stay away from food under the lamp anywhere, but at this kiosk they have a steaming hot "sopa" that in Puerto Rico would be called "sancocho" a soup with, in this case: pork, corn and roots such as carrot and yucca.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank artedalia
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Artedalia,

First of all we want to thank you for your review and to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

We have already had a conversation with the maid in charge of the floor in which you stayed. She acted in good will but we informed our personnel about following the guests instructions above all other considerations. We also have already got those "DO NOT DISTURB" signs. Sorry for the inconvenience.

About the payment policies in the hotel I want to tell you that we ask for an advanced payment to all our guests without exceptions. That is because as a familiar small hotel the bank does not offer us the same credit card services as a big hotel, so we cannot open a credit card guarantee voucher that allows our guests to pay for the whole stay at the end of it. Also sorry for this inconvenience.

I am sure that the face of my sister, on the other hand a very cheerful person, did not have any connection with your payment status at that moment. Anyway sorry for that too.

Best Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Benidorm, these are the reasons:
1. Both managers Patricia and Jose do their very best to serve you. I once had a disagreement with one of the waiters at the restaurant and they paid my breakfast at another hotel and next day the disagreement was solved and service got much better.
2. I assure you that you wont find another hotel in Panama with a better location and cheaper rates.
3. If I had to add a service, I would make sure that outgoing calls could be made from the room. when my card was cloned (not at Benidorm, it happened somewhere else) I spent almost 5 hours at reception making calls, it would have been easier to do it from my room.
4. most of receptionist do their best to make you feel at home, especially Briseida who is also fluent in English.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear izaeljoao23,

First of all we would like to thank you the deference to write a review of our hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed you stay with us and we look forward to see you again.

We are continuously renewing and improving our services and a new telephone switchboard that allows us a lot more functions is already on its way.

Best Regards

Reviewed 20 June 2013

My 2nd visit to this hotel, as it turned out I was given the same room as previous visit. It now has a programmable safe and great strong free Wi-Fi. The staff has changed and English is spoken by a bell boy and a receptionist. They work mainly during the day shift. I stayed for 7 nights and the price is good including breakfast. Maid service was good. When I return to Panama, I will stay here. The rooms facing the street have new windows, which reduces the noise from vehicles and people going to the casino across from the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street can be noisy, The hotel 3rd floor may be less noisey
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Dear Bigjohn0, thank you very much for letting us know your opinion about the hotel. As a recurring guest you can appreciate the integral refurbishment of our rooms in the last few months. As you said, we have installed complimentary in-house safe deposit boxes and improved our free Wi-fi speed. We have also installed double paned windows for thermal and acoustic isolation, and new black-out shades as well. For us is a pleasure to give our guests the best they can get with budget prices. Hope to see you again among us soon. Best Regards.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

We have stayed a few days in this hotel and all went fine. The rooms have a safe box and air cond and even though it is a little noisy we could sleep perfectly. The only thing I missed was shampoo but it was easily solved asking the staff who was really friendly and that it is not easy at all to find in Panama. Don't expect a luxury hotel but for that prize it is really a good deal, breakfast was great too.
Location is fair enough, a big supermarket just in front and close to financial centre. Rooms are average size and the furniture seemed quite new. If you are looking for a place to sleep without wasting money this is definately the place

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
jcblanco, Manager at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Dear Jose, thank you for your review. As you have noticed we have recently refurbished the hotel completely, so all the furniture and certain amenities (such as the in-house safe deposit boxes) are all brand new to enhance the comfort and safety of our guests. Best regards and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I have stayed at the Benidorm several times over a lengthy period of time. The internet is included in the price, the location is great, very central and right across the street from a supermarket. Public transport to anywhere in the city, and the service has always been great, in its very personal Panamanian way. I love walking from there to Casco Antiguo and the pizza served in the restaurant is a classic, specially with the famous "aji chombo".
The sounds coming from the streets are no different than in any other hotel, place, apartment, etc., there's no point complaining about that fact, Panama is what it is. The management are always there to give sound advice on how to move around in the city and save the tourists from fraudulent taxi fares. I have experienced my stay in the Benidorm friendlier and with better services than in other higher range hotels. I warmly recommend it to lone travelers and families alike.

Room Tip: Second and third floor rooms are best. I specially like the 320s.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear Maaret C, It make us very happy to know that you enjoyed your visit. It is important for everyone in our staff to comply the service expectatives that our guestes require.

As we are located in a strategic location, with lots of stores, restaurants and hotels around, we have installed doubled paned windows to reduce the noise level that comes from the street. Besides we have several rooms located in the back part of the building that are very quiet and peaceful.

Thank you very much for your comments