Hotel Benidorm
The Bristol Panama Hotel(Panama City)
US$149
Hotel Coral Suites(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$56
The Westin Panama(Panama City)
US$156
  • Restaurant
Ramada Plaza Panama Punta Pacifica(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$92
Crowne Plaza Panama(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$78
  • Pool
Hotel Riu Plaza Panama(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$95
US$169
Travelocity
  • Pool
AZ Hotel & Suites(Panama City)
US$61
US$51
Casa Anita(Las Cumbres)
US$75
US$223
Travelocity
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I was there in December for a couple of days and the first room was sparse. No hot water and the air conditioner remote consisted of unplugging the unit from an unprotected, uncovered receptacle. No screens on windows and pretty noisy. I could not get the safe to open and after the receptionist mocked me for not being able to figure out why, the manager finally came and decided to give me another room because the batteries in the safe were low and it was not functioning correctly. The rooms were clean and the beds were okay but I feel anything over $30 is too high for the spartan surroundings. I went across the street to the Veracruz which has a decent restaurant downstairs and they showed me a nicer room for only $25 a night. I will stay there next time.

Room Tip: The neighborhood is fairly safe and this is within one block of a large supermarket (El Rey).
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I cannot say enough about Jose Carlos and his staff.

I was moving from Los Angeles to Bocas del Toro, with an overnight stop in Panama City. The Hotel Benidorm was one of two hotels I was looking at, based on the fact that they both accepted pets. After exchanging a couple of emails with Jose Carlos, it was very easy to choose the Hotel Benidorm.

I arrived at the hotel on a Monday with four enormous bags, one terrified cat, and a backpack. Checkin was fast and easy, and the bellman very happily transported all of my luggage to my room. My room was clean and comfortable, and the perfect place to spend the night.

I had an emergency on the way to the airport the next morning and Jose Carlos immediately checked me back in to the hotel; no complications, no delay, no questions. The staff was hugely helpful in getting me out on time the next day. Jose Carlos even gifted me a towel to cover my cat carrier with.

Truly a fantastic stay. I have traveled the world and have never had better service or more help from a hotel staff.

Michelle

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Michelle V
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We were very glad to find a hotel which accepted us with our dog. Also it was very kind to help us by calling with copacargo and prinzing the mails for us. We will recommand your hotel to other travellers looking for a friendly hotel during their stay in Panama City. Sincerely, Ulrike Sonthof and Gerhard Beysel with dog Charly

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gerhard B
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The staff at this hotel were fabulous! The front desk staff were always helpful and had big smiles for their customers. We could not get Wi-Fi in our room and Jose personally came and worked with us until we were up and running!! Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable. Only had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, but it was good and again - happy staff! This is a very reasonably priced hotel and major reason we chose it was that it was pet-friendly. The overall cleanliness needs to be improved - washing the woodwork, door in the elevator, etc but I think this is a place to watch. The owners, Jose and Patricia, are obviously interested in the customer experience and was impressed that I was sent a survey to solicit our suggestions and feedback. Not much of a restaurant selection within walking distance, but centrally located so you can reach lots of great places to eat with just a short taxi ride. Convenient to have nice grocery store right across the way. Find during the day, but would NOT walk around the area at night. Lots of police presence, but still be very aware of where you are. Love Panama City!!

Room Tip: For best WI-FI choose room 305!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Coloradorealtor40
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Coloradorealtor40,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed our hotel, and as you could see is a pleasure for us to make our guests happy. We will take into account your suggestions in order to improve our services and hope to see you soon again.

Best Regards / Jose

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel meets all of the basics: clean, not a violent neighborhood, wifi. It is located in a very working-class neighborhood. A meet-the-basics kinda place like this needs something to set it apart to make it feel like you could come back again, but it doesn't.

What killed it for me were two events. 1 although I had asked the same staff not to clean my room in the 4 days I was there, they still knocked on my door at 8am several times, entered once when I was there without knocking - AND entered and cleaned as I was away getting breakfast.

Killer # 2 On the day of my checkout I was asked to give a deposit before going to breakfast, with the manager giving me a sour face from her office. I got the impression that they've had some people run out on them without paying and I think that the manager summed me up as much. Wow. What an insult. I bet I've been around the world 30 times over than she has - oh, and always payed my way - even in 5-star hotels.

One thing that could've avoided any grievances is simply a Do Not Disturb sign: this is the first hotel I've EVER stayed in that doesn't have one. I cannot suggest anything that would help them trust their Guests more.

Overall, the place is clean, the showers work well, TV is small and 90's style and there are few channels, but they are clear. They have very reliable, easy-to-access internet in the rooms, which I rely on completely. The staff is decent: If you ask a question they try to answer with whatever knowledge they have in their heads but do go beyond that. The receptionist did kindly ask me for any other comments. With regards to sleep: it's all relative. The street is rather busy with cars if you want to sleep early, but other than that there is no noise. I was able to sleep just fine.

Taxi's know Hotel Benidorm. If they don't, you just tell them "Avenida Perú, delante del (in front of) Machetazo" Machetazo is a well-known department store.

The working-class neighborhood is about a 45-minute walk ($1.50 taxi) to the Casco Antiguo and also from the hotel area with all of the nice restaurants. You will find you are only 3 blocks from the pedestrian bridge that takes you over to the "Cinta Costera" or the boardwalk. From there it's a straight, pleasant zip down to the Old Town or, conversely, up into the high rises.

If you like to feel the working class and get the sense of what real life is like in Panama - that was my mission here, actually - then this isn't a bad area since it's also not far from major city areas. You cannot expect foofy food options in this area. But mom-and-pop places and medium-sized older restaurants abound.

The best that I found in this area was a street food permanent kiosk (meaning, it doesn't have wheels and actually has a cooker) where the 4 ladies working at it refer to you affectionately as "cariño" (sweety). This is can be found on the hotel's main street, Rd 29. If you have Machetazo in front of you and the Hotel to your back, go right. A few blocks down you'll have the National Archives building and then to your right a park. Just after the park you'll see this little shack. Stay away from food under the lamp anywhere, but at this kiosk they have a steaming hot "sopa" that in Puerto Rico would be called "sancocho" a soup with, in this case: pork, corn and roots such as carrot and yucca.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank artedalia
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Artedalia,

First of all we want to thank you for your review and to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

We have already had a conversation with the maid in charge of the floor in which you stayed. She acted in good will but we informed our personnel about following the guests instructions above all other considerations. We also have already got those "DO NOT DISTURB" signs. Sorry for the inconvenience.

About the payment policies in the hotel I want to tell you that we ask for an advanced payment to all our guests without exceptions. That is because as a familiar small hotel the bank does not offer us the same credit card services as a big hotel, so we cannot open a credit card guarantee voucher that allows our guests to pay for the whole stay at the end of it. Also sorry for this inconvenience.

I am sure that the face of my sister, on the other hand a very cheerful person, did not have any connection with your payment status at that moment. Anyway sorry for that too.

Best Regards