Hotel Republica
The Westin Panama(Panama City)
US$166
  • Restaurant
Ramada Plaza Panama Punta Pacifica(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$186
US$170
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
US$120
US$95
Crowne Plaza Panama(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$77
  • Pool
Radisson Summit Hotel And Golf(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$88
AZ Hotel & Suites(Panama City)
US$61
US$54
Casa Anita(Las Cumbres)
US$75
Dos Palmitos(Panama City)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$203
Hotels.com
All reviewscasco viejouberneighborhoodactv
Reviewed 11 February 2017 via mobile

If I had read the reviews here, I probably didn't make it to this hotel. I booked the hotel tru booking.com and the reviews there wasn't this bad. The price I booked was $35 a night. I can go cheaper booking hostel in old town but I didn't want to share bathroom with anybody and I didn't want to stay in the heart of the city because I didn't want to pay more for transportation. So this hotel is perfect for me.

The hotel is kind of in the middle of the new town and old town but close to old town better. The walking distance is around 15-20 mins and easy to walk. It's right in front of plaza 5 de mayo. If you get lost walking back to the hotel , just say 'cinco de mayo' and people will be able to tell you directions.

Transportation: I took the bus from airport and it costed only $2 maybe(can't remember exactly sorry). You actually has to get a pre paid bus card in order to take a bus to the subway but there is nothing available for me to buy so I got help from the local to take another bus without it. Again you just keep saying 'cinco de mayo' and you will get off to the right place and be able to walk to the hotel. On the way back I tried to go by bus(direct bus to airport) too but it took to long to wait and I had no idea when it's coming so I gave up and took an uber($27). If you wanna go by bus, just make sure you have enough time to wait. The bus takes only 30mins ride but I didn't know the schedule. I also used uber to go to Miraflores lock($5). There is also wifi at the lock so you can be able to use it to call uber on the way back.

The neighborhood is very very local but safe to walk around. I walked back from old town to the hotel like 8pm and still fine. Look scary if you feel insecure to be in local non touristy area but if a solo woman like me can survive, you can do it too. There are local restaurants, street vendor foods and grocery stores around so easy to have cheap food. If you look for the luxury, business area hotel, this is 'Not' the place.

The room is cozy, big and comfortable. The ac is working great but I didn't have warm water. Since I'm from tropical country and live in NYC, I understand both sides that you don't need hot shower in hot weather but somehow once you get used to taking warm shower this will suck. It wasn't that super cold water tho but still I minus one star just for that.

All in all, you get what you paid for. Don't expect 5 star service or luxury room with business rich neighborhood area. It's very local. Still loud and lots of people walking on the street at 4 o clock in the morning but good location to walk to old town which is pretty much all the actions are over there.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Metira C
Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

Better off staying in a hostel! Gross rusty brown water from the shower, broken toilet, electrical outlets falling out, rusty door frame, cockroach, no water in any of the coolers, questionable if the linens were clean, cigarette burn in the sheets, peeling paint, and bad neighborhood! 4 hour rates say enough about this place!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pynhead
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

What must have been once a marvelous Hotel is a shadow of its former glory. My room's lights did not work, no hot water, hard as rock bed with softer than soft pillows. Shower was very average and the complimentary shampoo had previously been used as the container was half full or was that half empty?
Room was cheap and I got what I deserved.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2016

I read about some negative comments about this hotel before, and I booked anyway, as I know that people write a negative review once they find one thing they don't like, and people don't write a review at all when everything is good.

One person wrote a negative review, because his pillow was too hard. which is not a reasonable reason to give a hotel a negative review. So don't be a whiny baby and just asked to change it, if something is wrong, but instead people return home and write a negative review. If the room is not clean, just ask for a different room or ask to clean it. Most hotels have at least 200 rooms, and some of the rooms might be not in the perfect state on some occasions, which can be easily fixed. Hotels are not open for putting people off, every hotel tries their best to keep their guests happy.

Also, people are more likely to write a negative reviews when they faced a problem, and they don't write a review at all, when everything was great. So hotels end up collecting more negative reviews than positive reviews.

This hotel has a great location and gear view, especially from the roof top. Room was clean, it has AC, fridge, safe, TV and many things more. The hotel staff is great. The location is very central, I never paid more than 3-4 dollar to go somewhere with UBER. I visited the main hotel locations in Panama, where hard rock cafe or trump hotel are located, these locations are very boring and very expensive too. Being in downtown is very exciting with many things happening. The area is very busy but safe.

location is great and close to many different points of interest. The old town, fish market, fruits market. The 3 islands, Museums the Mountain. Check on the map.

The old town, fish market, fruits market. The 3 islands, Museums. Check on the map. huge supermarket El Machetazo about 5min walk away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one the upper floors for a good view.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank v t
Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

Cab Driver was surprised I was staying in this neighborhood. Very local area and never did meet another American. But over 10 days and walking neighborhood every day; I never had any problems and enjoyed energy of the Plaza Cinco De Mayo neighborhood.

Casco Viejo is a $3 cab ride away or Google says a 15 minute walk. Downtown was between $5 and $10 dollars.

Room was pretty clean and freshly painted. Newer furniture. No frills at front desk and never did see restaurant or bar open. Odd towel service but that seems to be a Panama standard.

Pictures are view from my room and neighborhood.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo