“Better than expected”

Alexandria Zoological Park
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1926, Alexandria Zoological Park has shared the wonders of the natural world with generations of zoo-goers. Get face to face with 500 animals including lions, tigers, crocodiles, monkeys, bears, otters and many more. Come explore a natural world filled with hoots, howls, and roars right in the heart of Central Louisiana. Alexandria Zoo is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. It is the mission of Alexandria Zoological Park to promote understanding and conservation of the natural world in which we live. It is the mission of Alexandria Zoological Park to promote understanding and conservation of the natural world in which we live.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Certainly small compared to many zoos, but we were impressed by the variety of animals and the setup. They also put on events for kids, like for Mardi Gras. I recommend it.

All reviews
"larger zoos"
"interesting animals"
"animals seem"
in 4 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
"entire park"
in 25 reviews
"enclosures"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 4 July 2012

The park is small and very shady. Nice for a quick 1/2 day trip.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Great place to bring a young child if you are passing through Alexandria.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

My wife and I bought an annual zoo pass at our local zoo in Monroe, La. However, it allows you to visit a long list of zoos in Louisiana and the surrounding states - with the exception of some of the larger zoos like Audubon in New Orleans. We decided it would be a lot of fun to travel around and visit as many zoos as we could with the pass during the summer. I have to say, there were some great zoos on the list, and I highly recommend making the "tour"! With that being said, my wife and I both agree that the Alexandria Zoo was our favorite. This little zoo has the best feel to it. It's surprising, really, how cozy and clean it was. One of my favorite things is feeding the gold fish by the train depot. I've seen gold fish at some of the other zoos, but these fish in Alexandria literally make the entire body of water rumble when you thrown in the feed. But that's not nearly all that makes this zoo great. It is well taken care of, shaded, clean and the animals look happy which I think is a sign of good maintenance! We'll be sure to go back when we're back in town!