“Great sushi, poor service, dishonest bill”
Review of Sakura Cafe

Sakura Cafe
Ranked #154 of 372 Restaurants in Annapolis
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Thai
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

They require a reservation so we made one and waited for our alotted time. When we got there they had no table for us, which I know happens. But the strange thing is that they also have no book recording the reservations. We just tokd them that we had one and they went scurrying about to create a new table. I dont think they realky understand the concept. It was a busy Saturday night and they clearly did not have enough wait staff. Ours woukd disappear for prolonged periods and proved difficult to flag down, even as he walked right past the table.

The edemame and seaweed salad were good, but there is usually not much to be done with them. The double tuna roll was generous and excellent. The Godzilla roll was huge and one of my favorites but the sauce was too sweet for my wife. It was not especially sweet but she dislikes mixing salty and sweet tastes. The yum yum was small and too rich for our tastes.

When the bill came my wife was perusing the little tipping guide at the bottom of the credit card receipt when she noticed that the price was higher than what had been on the original bill. I checked it and all of the items were correct but they had added a 17.5% gratuity.

So, without saying anything, they added a gratuity to the check of a party of two and then also made suggestions on how much to tip ?!?! That's just wrong.

1  Thank Chris I

Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

First time visiting Annapolis, we where going to grab a quick bite. The family and I decided that a sushi roll would be light. As I walked by Sakura Cafe I noticed the price and they where pretty good. To keep story short....we ended eating full meals ....there menu is extensive and delicious. We had sushi and bento boxes.....dessert was great...recommend the red bean ice cream. Very friendly and great price....recommend..

Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

This was a surprise find to me. If you are okay to try the Asian cuisine, then this will work for you. Do try the shrimp hibachi in this restaurant. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Went to dinner a few nights ago. My wife had acceptable sushi and I had chicken udon soup. The soup had no taste and a gamey back taste. The chicken was tasteless. Terrible, don't order this

Reviewed 7 August 2016

After a long discussion on business opportunities in Central & South Asia, my friend and I were hungry for some Asian cuisine. Mary suggested Sakura Café in Old Town Annapolis, just off the circle near the yacht club. This was an inspired and, as I learned, expert choice – she had been here before. For our appetizer, we split the Sushi-Sashimi Combo – a great idea since it’s a large plate with a wide variety of fresh & fabulous offerings. For main courses, Mary went for the Pad Thai; I chose the Basil Chicken. Again, the portions were as tasty as they were huge, permitting Mary to have a three-course meal the next day. One of the real draws is the family atmosphere. This a surprise – you don’t expect such attention at a small, storefront café. It’s also not a surprise, since Jade (the owner) prefers hiring her own family who share her warmth and genuine pleasure in serving. At Sakura Café, her sister and her daughter-in-law serve guests while her son – a decorated Navy seaman – serves our country. It’s true that the menu is a bit pricey: with tax and tip, we exceeded US$80 for essentially three full meals. (Note: We had no alcohol – this is a BYOB location.) But, being right in downtown Old Town for a really great meal on a lovely summer evening was worth every penny.