“Not the best ”

Baku's African Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 116 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: African
Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

I love Nigerian food and I am picky since my in-laws make great Nigerian food. I was very excited to try this place but it was not as god as other Nigerian food that I tasted. The service was o.

I was

Reviewed 11 September 2015

I had the pleasure of eating delicious food at Baku's with my co-workers. The owner was lovely. We felt link we were enjoying a meal in her home. I highly recommend going to Baku's

Reviewed 17 October 2014 via mobile

I loved this place. It's local & delicious. The own knows fun & is a great companion. I came in alone for lunch & left feeling happy & satisfied like I'd been at a family table We are All Relatives. Food is the diplomat & translator.

Reviewed 7 September 2014 via mobile

The Nigerian food was marvelous! Very homey, owner explained the food, her culture and was very friendly. The service was like your grandmother's kitchen, so don't expect fancy, snooty or fawning.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

We wanted to try a restaurant with food you couldn't get in the dorms, thus ended up at this African (Nigerian) restaurant. At first, we were wary. It was early for dinner and we were the first customers. The lady who ran the restaurant was overly nonchalant, which we didn't know was cultural or non-confident of the food, which we had no clue of what to expect. The kitchen was empty, no pre-made sauces/foods were visible, just like walking into someone's kitchen and dining room. After a bit of explanation on the menu options, which were quite limited, we settle on the curry goat and the akara along with a ginger beer and mango juice.

The ginger beer and mango juice were delicious. The ginger beer was sharp and spicy with the strong taste of ginger and heavy carbonation. Similarly, the mango was rich, just like freshly squeezed mango, with carbonation.

The plates both came with a seasoned rice pilaf, plantains (fried bananas), and green beans, which were flavorful, closest resemblance would be Cuban food. The goat curry was the most unique, with hunks of goat meat/skin which had a slightly gamey taste but neutralized with the curry sauce, which wasn't close to the typical Indian/Japanese curries, rather more like a beef stew type of curry. The Akara, which was black been fritters, were a bit dry, but ok when dipped in the curry sauce.

Overall, a great unique meal and experience, definitely something the UMass dorms will not serve (btw, the UMass dorm food is excellent, over 15 food stations with quality offerings mixing ethnic foods with specific needs/tastes such as gluten free, kosher, ...).