All reviews breakfast vouchers in town cubby hole historic downtown area chestnut street private bathroom extensive knowledge first floor other guests small fridge the ground floor rooms are comfortable morning coffee guest house perfect spot common room location is ideal
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We recently stayed here after the inn reopened under new ownership. Not much has changed and we like that because HH has been a welcome economical option in the heart of Nantucket.

Located on Chestnut St, the inn is within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants, and attractions. Rates are much less than neighboring inns. Accommodations are not as plush but the rooms are comfortable. The bed was particularly comfy. Some have balconies or private sitting areas overlooking a back patio and nearby restaurants. It’s a lovely spot to relax.

We will be back. The only thing that we’d wish is for a small fridge and room safe to add to the room.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2018

The room we were in was what felt like a shed that was converted into a room very claustrophobic. Tiny bathroom with a tiny shower. Musty, really damp, lots of spiders in the house ceilings are really low. Price for staying was not in line with the overall condition of the room. Like I said the only positive is the location, the rest was dismal. If you are staying for 2 nights max this might work for some people. We were only here because we we couldn't get into the house we rented for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Room 9 is awful
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank calyx910
Edward Henry S, General Manager at Hawthorn House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Room 9 has been a apartment cottage for many years and been enjoyed by travelers who need a studio apartment setup in a downtown location for an affordable price. I am 6 foot 7 inches tall, so I can relate to low ceilings being a problem, but I feel comfortable in the room. Our pictures show the lower ceilings near the bed accurately. August is very humid on Nantucket, we try to fight that by putting a dehumidifier in the room as well as window AC unit. Spiders... I wish I could control ever insect on the property, but it's just impossible. We spray the edges of our building on regular intervals with organic repellant. But alas, some of our eight legged friends get through. Sorry you didn't enjoy your stay as much as we would have liked, maybe it's better you stay at a higher end establishment next time. We offer no frills accommodation at the entry price point on Nantucket.

Reviewed 9 August 2018

My wife and I stayed at the Hawthorn House over the 4th of July weekend. What can you say? We expected "good" and got "great." Expectations, upon reading other reviews, were limited, but we had a wonderful experience. The new management has totally re-invigorated the property. The proprietor, Henry, is a Nantucket native and was there upon check-in. He even offered to drive us to the airport at the end of our stay! Henry and the lobby were full numerous ideas for our trip - local tips. July 4th on the island was one of the best vacations my wife and I have ever had!
With regards to the physical lodging, the bed was super comfy - a place where you are happy to take a nap and unhappy when the sun is up because it is so wonderful. The water pressure (which is important to some, as told to me by my wife) was incredible - like a fire hose!
The Hawthorne House is clean and affordable. It was a perfect little getaway for us. We will certainly be staying there again, and if anyone who reads this knows of another slice of heaven somewhere else, please let us know! We will keep coming until we find our next little spot.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CTag4
Reviewed 29 July 2018

I have been coming to Nantucket for many years and have stayed at some of the nicer hotels/inns on the island . This year, I heard good things about the Hawthorn House from a friend. We stayed for a long weekend and loved it. The place is under new management and has been spruced up - but the price is still extremely reasonable. Its also hard to beat the location smack in the middle of town. I will definitely be back to stay again!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here with another couple for a week at the end of June and we loved it. The new owners have been upgrading the property and they were incredibly responsive when we contacted them. The inn could not be in a better location and the bed was unbelievably comfortable.

Not only were the owners on the ball, Henry (one of the owners) heard my friend and I talking about getting a cab to the ferry and offered to give us a ride! Great inn, great location, great service. We’ll be staying there next time we’re in Nantucket.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elliottjwhite
Edward Henry S, General Manager at Hawthorn House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Hi Elliot! Thanks so much for the great review. Can't wait to have you back!