“Very delicious and authentic Guatemalan food”

La Casa de las Sopas
Ranked #28 of 399 Restaurants in Antigua
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Small intimate restaurant that make homemade dishes. We specialize in soup and Guatemalan CALDOS, which is like a soup on steriods! We buy all of our produce fresh from the local market and cook everything from scratch. For our customers that arent too interested in soup, we have plenty of options you will like. Our soups are served with a salad and large local heavy bread w/garlic mayonaise pesto. Come in and try our local dishes, you wont be disappointed.
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I've been living in Guatemala for almost a year now, so I've had a taste of the food and culture long enough to be able know a good restaurant when I experience it. La Casa de las Sopas is a real gem. Great local food at a reasonable price and very nice atmosphere. Muy sabroso!

Reviewed 15 June 2017

My wife and I went for a quick lunch before we explored other parts of the town. We were not disappointed. The restaurant has about 8 tables and a small kitchen. It's easy to find on 7th avenue so you shouldn't have any problems. We looked at the menu and the restaurant specializes in a variety of local Guatemalan soup specialties. They have a collection of broth based soups: chicken, beef, and beef hoof. All of these are filled with ample amounts of meats, veggies, and potatoes. They also have a bunch of traditional Guatemalan stews like Pepian: which is a spicy stewed chicken with potatoes. Everything is served with fresh warm tortillas. Each soup runs about $8 dollars. That's cheap by American standards but $8 is a bit pricey by Guatemalan standards.

Reviewed 3 June 2017

It's a fairly simple menu and concept but it is well executed, nicely presented and the price is right! I tried the Caldo Tlalpeño, which I highly recommend and the Black Bean soup which was also very nice. The caldo, however, was my favorite. Rice, chicken, garbanzo beans, avocado and veggies are served in a light broth with garnishes of chopped tomato, red onion and cilantro served on the side so you can add just as much as you like. Warm tortillas and the tasty house hot sauce round it out. Loved it! Paid 50Q for the food and 20Q for a nice cold Cabro beer -- great value!

The caldos all come in a single size but for the soups you can choose small or large portion. I chose the small size of the black bean soup when I returned and could hardly finish it, it was so generous! That one is served w/ garlic bread and is a little lighter than the black bean soups I am used to seeing on US menus, which I actually appreciated.

Highly recommended and would eat here again in a heartbeat if I found myself in Antigua again (fingers crossed!)

Reviewed 6 May 2017

Although not usually a fan of soups, the glowing recommendation from our hotel needed a follow-up. We were not disappointed! On the first visit we had meatball soup, later on lentil soup, and minestrone soup. All delicious.

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

The friendly warm atmosphere makes you feel like you are visiting grandma with delicious soup smell in the air. Both my wife and I had the chicken soup. Most delicious we ever had. Huge portions serve with a basket of tortillas. If you are in the area you must visit La Casa de las Sopas. Traditional Guatemala soup.

1  Thank Rene1919