Free cancellation until 01/08
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$438
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 August 2013

our experience at hotel samara was not such a bad as we were waiting according to reading reviews. Staff was very friendly, cleanliness in the bathroom and toillet was poor, but room was nice. Beach was good, but many cigarette ends in the sand. One week was enough because of the same diet each day for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank offca
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I am just back from a weeks stay at Hotel Samara. On arrival at 2am, we were met by unhappy receptionist. He gave us no information about the hotel or where anything was or times of breakfast etc.
After security guard showed us the way to room. Which was 3 flights up with no lift or anyone to help with luggage. We find our room which is very basic. On further inspection the bathroom was not the cleanest with no plug in sink and broken tile at the shower.
Due to the hour of arrival I along with my daughter (11yrs) went to reception to find where I could purchase a drink. To which the unhappy receptionist points me to a takeaway shops 150m down the road. Not impressed!!!
The food was horrendous to say the least. It was pasta (tasteless) and rice at every sitting. There was also constantly no cutlery or crockery. The staff all looked unhappy.
The pools were nice but the slides within the hotel were only on for about an hr each day. Not good when you have a child with you.
The private beach was lovely but even for all-inclusive guests, you have to pay for sun loungers. Plus the bar on beach had no coco- cola at it one day and was offered only sprite. Be aware there is no diet soda of any kind both within hotel and on private beach. Not good.
The entertainment was terrible and not very well organised. The kids disco was the exact same every evening and was entertaining to those under the age of 6 only.
I had a watch stolen from within a beach bag in my room. I am not the only one who had stuff removed from their room. Money had gone missing from other guests on the same week. Staff were not interested.
Staff were not to be trusted and were only interested in you buying excursions. Would not stay here again.
This is a 2* max.

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Bytoruk
Reviewed 7 July 2013

When arriving at the hotel at 2am we were told that our rooms were not ready and that we had to have three double rooms (being a family of 6). These rooms were very basic and had not been cleaned! I had other peoples rubbish sticking to my feet from the floors and there was no toilet paper or towels. The same situation had also happened with three other british families at this time. When arriving at breakfast the next day I was besotted to find that there was no plates or cups! Food was most definately not catered for the british! A diet of rice and pasta was simply boring after a week! The rooms we were finally correctly given however were very clean and maids changed the bed sheets and towels daily, could not ask for a better room! Pools were excellent! They were cleaned daily and of a great size. Slides were manned by life guards at all times. Bar Staff and the Animation team were very friendly and excellent with the children. As for the entertainment, what entertainment? Other hotel staff however, I would not trust with my nannas teeth! Packets of cigarettes went frequently missing from our room, all the other british families also had watches and money stolen and reported that their suitcases had been tampered with. One british family returned to their room to find a member of staff searching through their suitcase to which he replied he was looking for water! Your constantly hassled by people trying to sell you excursions at the pool side who simply dont take no for an answer! I often walked into the poolside toilets to find that they had been soiled or that people had done their buisness on the floor, and im not on about urine!! If like us you get fed up of pasta and rice, then i recommend the pizzeria opposite and the saloon steak house. I believe that a holiday is what you make of it, soo as an outcome we did enjoy the majority of the time, however some things just could not have gone not noticed in this hotel, I do strongly believe that you get what you pay for, and im not snobby as ive previously stayed in some great 2 star hotels, but this was definately not a four star hotel, it was more like a 2-3!

Room Tip: City view rooms are very noisy!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Two best things about this hotel are rooms and the beach.
Rooms with tile floors are very nice, in oriental style... however there are some other rooms with carpet floor which are closer to the pool and are not so nice (loud at night). Rooms have hair driers (it was actually working), and TV (did not work, but who goes to Tunisia to watch TV). Also, for more than three days there was not hot water in the shower, which wasn't a big problem though because the weather was very warm and taking a cold shower was not a big problem.

The hotel beach is maybe the best one in that part of Sousse. Quiet and never too crowded. However, since the hotel is not located directly on the beach, there is a 8 minute walk (about 500 meters) every day to get to the beach. For all inclusive guests it is a bit of a hustle to go back to hotel for lunch, and then back again to the beach so many of the guests stayed by the pool most of the time. All inclusive guests have available water, beer and soda drinks at the beach bar. The sea is nice, even though sometimes not so clean of algae.

All inclusive guests in the hotel have available drinking water, sodas (Coke, Sprite), local bear and all other alcoholic drinks (Russians appreciated it much). I would personally never again take all inclusive arrangement because I personally do not like alcohol and sodas... so I only drank water! They do not offer any juices without gas.

Food in the hotel was terrible. Maybe the worst food I ever ate (or did not eat at most parts). They need to change that old cook! Tasteless, hard to swallow, disgusting on sight. I give them zero for food. Plus there are not enough plates and silverware, so there are always lines for either forks, or coffee cups, or knifes... always waiting in line for something.

Pools are nice, they look kind of kitsch but still nice. Children love the slides. Also, every evening the animator shows by the main pool are fun...sometimes hilarious.

More than 90% of guests were from Poland. Even the signage in the hotel complex are in Polish. There is not an international feel in the hotel, as most of the tourists do not speak English.

Overall, the hotel has its good sides and bad sides. For the price paid, this was fine enough.

Sousse, in general, is a great place to have vacation. It is completely safe for tourists who prefer to travel single or those who travel with families.

Besides regular content, I would like to recommend quad bike ride (they offer it in the hotel). Costs about 18-20 EUR and is a lot of fun. The track is kind of demanding, and for real adventure seekers, it offers some adrenalin rush. Highly recommend.

Also, there is a cabaret show "Changing Ladies" very close to the hotel in Casino Caraibe, a drag queen show that lasts for more than two hours. It is funny. Although I've seen many better drag shows, this one was specifically interesting because it was happening in Tunisia where homosexuality is illegal. Of five entertainers (drag queens), only one is Belgian (or Danish, I'm not completely sure), others are local drag queens. My respect!!! It was worth every penny (I mean dinar)! :) They had popular hits, belly dance... and African theme. Colorful costumes with lots of feathers... what else to expect for a drag queen show... in North Africa. Highly recommend!

And for single men who travel alone... don't be surprised if random guys approach you on the street to offer "shisha for twenty dinars". Those are male hustlers who actually offer you oral sex for twenty dinars. Most of them are actually straight (or at least they think so), but they are ready to give you a pleasure of giving them oral sex for money. Kind of disgusting, but very usual in Sousse. I accepted this as a part of the Sousse charm, but still haven't learnt how to completely protect myself from those guys who approached me every few minutes.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with tile floors, they are much nicer and cleaner.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Dejan D
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Hotel needs a bit of an update, however friendly staff, good choice of food and nice evening programmes make up for it.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple