All reviews rice paddies nearby village no electricity beautiful trip mekong river living conditions day cruise traditional laos food attached bathroom rural laos the open air restaurant rainy season villagers insight accommodation banks humbling
Reviewed 25 September 2013

A good way to get to know rural life in Laos. Lovely jungle setting. Picturesque village and restaurant. They should tell patrons before they book that electricity will be rationed and there is no plug anywhere to recharge a battery or phone or anything. It was ok, but some warning would be better. The guide was excellent, the food plentiful.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear Denmelb,

We would like first to thank you for your comment, and we are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Kamu Lodge.
The experience we provide is possible thanks to the Kamu people, and they are the one who make it enjoyable.

We thank you again, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in one of our property.

Warm regards,

A. de Boynes
AppleTree Hospitality Laos: Villa Maly, Nava Mekong, Kamu Lodge

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I am shocked to read the reviews of this place - think we went somewhere else! I will start by saying we went in the 'rainy season' - not a good idea! The solar power was limited so ... we had no hot water, the lights and fans did not work at the same time and the electricity ran out very quickly. Mosquitoes were in abundance and no effort was made by the lodge to discourage them, ie. fans in the bar / restaurant areas; coils in the rooms; citronella based soaps and shampoos, (all in keeping with the environmental awareness, personnally I would use anything to keep the little blighters at bay!). We went for drinks in the 'bar' before dinner, mai tais were good but the margarita was served in a tumbler - poor! The food was edible but that's all I can say. Breakfast was aweful! Bread and eggs. The activities in the afternoon were weak - I felt for the guide, Lee, who tried his best, with little success. This was our second night on the Mekong on the way to Luang Prabang so we had a comparison! Luang Say cruise and lodge could certainly give Kamu Lodge a few pointers!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 25 July 2013

If you are staying in Luang Phrabang and had enough of streets and night markets it is well worth splashing out (haha) and booking an overnight trip to Kamu Lodge, a beautiful tented camp 3 hours up the Mekong through spectacular bamboo and teak forest. The camp itself is solar-powered and Internet-free, providing a truly peaceful, ecologically responsible but very comfortable haven. There are opportunities to plant rice and visit the local village or simply relax and enjoy the forest noises from your tent verandah overlooking the river. The food is excellent, with a selection of local cuisine and the staff hospitable and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank EETT65
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I make my way down to the banks of the mighty Mekong and board a motor boat that will take me up the Mekong for an adventurous night in the jungle. We pull away from the makeshift pier and start the cruise. The sediment-thick waters glide past as massive limestone cliffs and the jungle of multi-green hues sedately sashay before us. Towering blue-green ruggedly peaked distant dusky mountains are set against a blue sky. We pass fishermen and boat builders and children cavorting in the cooling waters.

We stop at the Pak Ou caves, a shrine filled with Buddha statues too many to count. I look at one in a no conflict pose and notice a coronet of guano, another whose tiny robes are caked with the dirt of ages and yet more were dusty and candle wax smeared, some were standing on one leg, others had no arms, a few no heads all blindly staring at the life giving river. The Buddhas seemed like an allegory for the country; maimed and ravished by time and history but now standing in peaceful contemplation of the present and future.

The serenity was shattered when approached by a tourist official who asked me what tourists wanted. I replied with a simple sentence: “Nothing more than this.”

At the Kampu Village Lodge I was greeted by an excited gang of village boys, shouting the traditional welcome “Sabaidee”. An elephant and its mahout appeared from a bend in the dirt track and continued onward to its destination. Cresting a small hillock the village came into sight, a huddle of bamboo huts clustered around a small stream sat on the edge of a mountainous jungle, lush and verdant the view from the hillock was mesmerising.

Below a small paddy field provided rice for the community, flat and vibrantly green, galumping around the edges a couple of buffaloes lazily grazed an unplanted plot and then chewing the cud they wallowed in the cooling mud bath churned by their heavy hooves.

Settled into my tented accommodation we toured the small village as our guide, led the way. Chickens, ducks, dogs and a giggling gaggle of kids formed a Pied Piper procession as they followed this stranger in their midst.

The village contained a disused Buddhist chapel, rice and corn store rooms, a school and stilled houses. During a demonstration I was shown how the men hunted using cross bows and home adapted rifles that were used in a nightly wild boar hunt. I even had an attempt at firing a cross bow at a suspended apple. I am afraid to say that William Tell was a better marksman than I.

Down to the river and a demonstration of traditional fishing and gold panning followed, I cast the net but did not catch a fish and was just as unlucky in gold panning. No chance of my finding my fortune on the Mekong.

Dinner was taken in the open-sided bamboo restaurant, the traditional Laos food was plentiful, hot and delicious. I then retired to the open stilted bar and quaffed gin and tonics as dusk fell, slowly the pathways were illuminated with a processional way of kerosene lamps that twinkled and blinked their soft amber beacon-light through the darkening skies. The village was quiet with not one light to penetrate the darkness.

I looked at the heavens only to marvel at the canopy of stars, bright and shining like silver buttons on a cloak of the deepest black. Orion, the Plough both large and small were clearly visible as was Pegasus. Now and then rapid flashes of light streaked across the void as meteorites burned up in their earthward death throws.

The now fading lamps flickered the way to the tents. Unzipping the entry flaps I flicked on the solar powered light and fan, secured the flaps again and showered before settling in for what was a fitful sleep. Pulling aside the mosquito net and clambering into bed I switched off the light, not a single shaft of light penetrated the darkness of the tent. I blinked at the unfamiliar blackness and strained for some illumination no matter how little, but none came.

Sleep came as I listened to the unfamiliar sounds of the jungle, crickets and cicadas, distant bird calls and whoops from monkeys, the rustling of branches right outside the tent provided the night’s sound track. Then a crack of a rifle shot, the men of the village were on a hunting expedition, gathering the village dinner.

The adventure was over all too soon. While eating breakfast I saw two lines of village teenagers wander into the jungle, I asked my guide what they were doing? He said that one group was gathering bamboo for food and the other group tending to small gardens of wild vegetables, everything from kale to wild garlic and egg plants. Nature I thought provided all that this small village required for their sustenance.

Then time to leave, as I boarded the boat for the return journey the same group of children appeared to wave goodby as they did so they gladly accepted handfuls of sweets and lollipops. Two hours later Luang Prabang hoved into sight and a great adventure was over but not easily forgotten.

Room Tip: The tented accommodation is not luxurious but comfortable, shower and toilet are good. The tents are pitched on a small rise it may be best to choose a tent near the ridge.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Suanphlu
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Pictures or reviews cannot do Kamu Lodge justice, you simply must go to experience it yourself!
My husband and I did a 2 night/3 day stay, which I am glad we didnt just do the 1 night like alot of people do.
We met our english speaking guide (Lee, who was exceptionally helpful and so kind, I didnt wan to say goodbye to him!) and started the 3 hour boat ride up the Mekong, with a stop at the Pak Ou caves along the way. The Boat was a good size and life jackets are on every seat, and a toilet and plenty of bottled water on board.
We were greeted by Oliver (there french manager) on arrival, who was a great host and taken to our glam, thatched roofed tent with ensuite and patio. The beds are all king singles, and they pushed our ones together. The Mosquito nets however were only suited to a single bed so when the beds were together there was a hole in the middle, but we just put our one over the top.
Our guide took us though the local activities which was a walk through the Kamu village, which is located right next to the lodge, cross bow shooting, net fishing and gold panning on the river and rice planting.
All of the food was lovely and tasty, they have drinks that you can purchase (beer Lao, wine ect.)
The next day we went on a trek with our guide and some one from the village. You have 2 options.... the easy one on the river bank or the hard one up the mountains...... we did the mountain one and it was incredible. Bring sneakers that you can throw away and plenty of sunscreen. We had a packed lunch brought with us that we enjoyed by a stream, went to another village, and walked back along the river. The trek took about 5 hrs and was a highlight of our whole trip.
We had a full body massage at the perfectly situated "spa" overlooking the river ($12 pp for an hour!!!).
On our last evening the Lao-Lao was pulled out and we had a drink and dance with the locals that came over from the village with Olivers battery operated speakers.
I really cant rave about this stay enough!! Please keep in mind, this is an eco lodge stay, no wi-fi limited electricity and is staffed by the people who live in the village next to the lodge, so some of them are learning as they work and may have limited english, but do everything with a smile and great enthusiasm. You are really off the beaten tourist track here and will have an unforgettable experience if you get out of Luang Prabang and visit this great lodge and village.
Thankyou Olivier, Lee and all the staff for an amazing stay :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank holidaydreamer932
VillaMaly, General Manager at Kamu Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear holidaydreamer932,
Sunny greetings from Luang Prabang...
Well what to say ? It is not everyday that we receive such nice comments about the experience of our guests at Kamu Lodge. We are delighted to read that you loved it so much. I will personally convey your message to Olivier, Lee & team.
Thank you very much again and I hope that you will grant us the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.
Warmest regards,