“Eat at the bar!”
Review of Totoro

Totoro
Ranked #290 of 605 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 23 September 2016

Really neat experience to eat at the bar and watch the rolls being made on site! Definitely best to go early in the week or during the summer to avoid school crowds.

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Went here on a Monday night and it was just ok. I think the big picture here is that I am not a very picky eater and most of the food was good. However, I have spent my fair share of time in Japan and other local Japan Sushi shops to know that this was not very authentic.

Atmosphere - Very good. It actually has the feel of a Japanese place with small / narrow dining room. Of course the name itself is famous in Japan based on the cartoon characters that are known globally. I was satisfied.

Service - No complaints. Staff was attentive and prompt.

Quality / Taste - Ok, so I might get a little picky here but I think you have to at places that claim to offer authentic fair. I got some Gyozo which I have had many times. Although they were good, they were cooked as long as I would have liked and therefore were not as crispy on the outside. Besides that taste was ok. Got the sashimi sampler and for the most part was good especially the salmon. Finally I got the bento box with Ton Katsu. All of the tempura was good especially the vegetables but the pork was tough and stringy with fat. Most pork has a little, but this one went way overboard.

Cost - When the bill came, it wasn't a big surprise and no major heartache. However, what sealed the deal was they didn't take America Express! Unfortunately, that is my business corporate card, so that is a deal breaker in the future.

Bring cash or master card if you decide to go.

Reviewed 26 June 2016

The place is decent and nice. The price is good and the sushi is pretty nice. No matter what you order, they bring some snack and soup at the beginning and then the main food.
The sushi was good. We were a group of 12 people and we tried almost everything.
They also have a fixed percentage of tip included in the check, which I liked.

Reviewed 25 June 2016

Greasy food. Far from authentic. It may look like a Japanese restaurant, but the taste is off. Avoid it if you could.

Reviewed 26 April 2016

I am a frequent visitor to this restaurant.Had a family dinner there as all of my family
members decided to go to Totoro.As usual, food was par excellence & service too was
good.
Prices are moderate.Only drawback is its seating area which is too small considering
the crowd it attracts .Bento is a good choice to order as you not only get a variety of
dishes but plenty to eat.Sushi also is fresh & enjoyable.