“Favorite sushi spot in AA”
Review of Totoro

Totoro
Ranked #168 of 624 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 17 February 2017

Totoro is our favorite sushi spot in AA and never disappoints. The Oishii and Michigan rolls are my favorite and their regular rolls are always great, too. If you're not a sushi fan, the noodle bowls and chicken dishes are delicious! The staff are always friendly and service is fast.

1  Thank Melissa M

Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

So... I went here with my wife, as it was raining and most other places were packed after the U of M football game. I should have went hungry and gotten wet. I ordered the deluxe sushi plate (not cheap). Every single piece of fish was borderline inedible. I spit out half of it, begrudgingly swallowed a few pieces of flavorless fish, and left 4 pieces of the plate (untouched). Long story short, if you want good sushi, skip this place. If you want chicken teriyaki, give it a try. The employees were all very nice. Unfortunately, it didn't justify blowing that amount of money of bad raw fish...

Reviewed 23 September 2016

Really neat experience to eat at the bar and watch the rolls being made on site! Definitely best to go early in the week or during the summer to avoid school crowds.

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Went here on a Monday night and it was just ok. I think the big picture here is that I am not a very picky eater and most of the food was good. However, I have spent my fair share of time in Japan and other local Japan Sushi shops to know that this was not very authentic.

Atmosphere - Very good. It actually has the feel of a Japanese place with small / narrow dining room. Of course the name itself is famous in Japan based on the cartoon characters that are known globally. I was satisfied.

Service - No complaints. Staff was attentive and prompt.

Quality / Taste - Ok, so I might get a little picky here but I think you have to at places that claim to offer authentic fair. I got some Gyozo which I have had many times. Although they were good, they were cooked as long as I would have liked and therefore were not as crispy on the outside. Besides that taste was ok. Got the sashimi sampler and for the most part was good especially the salmon. Finally I got the bento box with Ton Katsu. All of the tempura was good especially the vegetables but the pork was tough and stringy with fat. Most pork has a little, but this one went way overboard.

Cost - When the bill came, it wasn't a big surprise and no major heartache. However, what sealed the deal was they didn't take America Express! Unfortunately, that is my business corporate card, so that is a deal breaker in the future.

Bring cash or master card if you decide to go.

Reviewed 26 June 2016

The place is decent and nice. The price is good and the sushi is pretty nice. No matter what you order, they bring some snack and soup at the beginning and then the main food.
The sushi was good. We were a group of 12 people and we tried almost everything.
They also have a fixed percentage of tip included in the check, which I liked.