“Great Sushi. Great Service Resaonable Prices”
Review of Totoro

Totoro
Ranked #256 of 613 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 12 March 2017

This little gem was recommended by a student that we stopped in when walking down Main Street in Ann Arbor. It was about a half mile walk on this sub freezing sunny day. The walk was a worthwhile. Our party was three - two adults and a preteen.

This is a small hole in the wall place but was full even at 1:30 on a Saturday. We were seated fairly quickly and presented with a menu that included all the Japanese traditional noodle and hot items as well as a wide assortment of sushi. We started with Miso soup and salad. The soup was unusually good -full of flavor. The salad as well was fresh and tasty. Our appetizers to share included Soft Shell Crab and Tempura. Both were hot and crisp but the crab tasted a little fishy. We also shared some Zaru Soba - cold soba noodles. Outstanding!

We ordered lots of sushi and sashimi which came quickly and was awesome. The sashimi tasted extremely fresh and was served with shiso leaves, a real treat. We also ordered spicy tuna hand rolls. Speaking of rolls, you could have rolled us out of there we at so much. The delicious food was accompanied by hot tea, authentic Japanese green tea.

The service was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. We even had a visit from the restaurant manager to check on us. The restaurant is operated by a Korean family. Parking is on the street if you can find it or in one of the parking structures in the downtown area. Prices were reasonable for sushi this good.

We will return to Totoro on my next trip to Ann Arbor.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

Totoro is our favorite sushi spot in AA and never disappoints. The Oishii and Michigan rolls are my favorite and their regular rolls are always great, too. If you're not a sushi fan, the noodle bowls and chicken dishes are delicious! The staff are always friendly and service is fast.

1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

So... I went here with my wife, as it was raining and most other places were packed after the U of M football game. I should have went hungry and gotten wet. I ordered the deluxe sushi plate (not cheap). Every single piece of fish was borderline inedible. I spit out half of it, begrudgingly swallowed a few pieces of flavorless fish, and left 4 pieces of the plate (untouched). Long story short, if you want good sushi, skip this place. If you want chicken teriyaki, give it a try. The employees were all very nice. Unfortunately, it didn't justify blowing that amount of money of bad raw fish...

Reviewed 23 September 2016

Really neat experience to eat at the bar and watch the rolls being made on site! Definitely best to go early in the week or during the summer to avoid school crowds.

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Went here on a Monday night and it was just ok. I think the big picture here is that I am not a very picky eater and most of the food was good. However, I have spent my fair share of time in Japan and other local Japan Sushi shops to know that this was not very authentic.

Atmosphere - Very good. It actually has the feel of a Japanese place with small / narrow dining room. Of course the name itself is famous in Japan based on the cartoon characters that are known globally. I was satisfied.

Service - No complaints. Staff was attentive and prompt.

Quality / Taste - Ok, so I might get a little picky here but I think you have to at places that claim to offer authentic fair. I got some Gyozo which I have had many times. Although they were good, they were cooked as long as I would have liked and therefore were not as crispy on the outside. Besides that taste was ok. Got the sashimi sampler and for the most part was good especially the salmon. Finally I got the bento box with Ton Katsu. All of the tempura was good especially the vegetables but the pork was tough and stringy with fat. Most pork has a little, but this one went way overboard.

Cost - When the bill came, it wasn't a big surprise and no major heartache. However, what sealed the deal was they didn't take America Express! Unfortunately, that is my business corporate card, so that is a deal breaker in the future.

Bring cash or master card if you decide to go.

Been to Totoro? Share your experiences!