“Bad Food”
Review of Totoro

Totoro
Ranked #288 of 605 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

I went to Totoro for lunch. It was a rainy day and a bowl of udon (Japanese noodle soup) seemed just the ticket. I ordered the tempura udon. It came with a cup of tepid tea and a small iceberg lettuce salad. The udon arrived with two pieces of ersatz tempura on a separate dish. The broth was fairly tasty-- rather like a doctored-up version of the instant powdered broth you get in instant udon. The noodles also had the same just-add-hot-water-and-serve quality. They were doughy and hard-- the right texture for easy shipping and long shelf life; the totally wrong texture to have been freshly made. In quantity and texture they were exactly like the udon noodles that you can buy in one of those plastic-wrapped packets in the Asian Food aisle of the supermarket. The shrimp was not tempura-- it came encased in an over-crisp, impenetrable armor of what seemed to be the kind of batter usually used for deep fried katsu dishes. I took one bite of the shrimp and had to leave the rest, along with most of the noodles. I will not go back again.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

This little gem was recommended by a student that we stopped in when walking down Main Street in Ann Arbor. It was about a half mile walk on this sub freezing sunny day. The walk was a worthwhile. Our party was three - two adults and a preteen.

This is a small hole in the wall place but was full even at 1:30 on a Saturday. We were seated fairly quickly and presented with a menu that included all the Japanese traditional noodle and hot items as well as a wide assortment of sushi. We started with Miso soup and salad. The soup was unusually good -full of flavor. The salad as well was fresh and tasty. Our appetizers to share included Soft Shell Crab and Tempura. Both were hot and crisp but the crab tasted a little fishy. We also shared some Zaru Soba - cold soba noodles. Outstanding!

We ordered lots of sushi and sashimi which came quickly and was awesome. The sashimi tasted extremely fresh and was served with shiso leaves, a real treat. We also ordered spicy tuna hand rolls. Speaking of rolls, you could have rolled us out of there we at so much. The delicious food was accompanied by hot tea, authentic Japanese green tea.

The service was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. We even had a visit from the restaurant manager to check on us. The restaurant is operated by a Korean family. Parking is on the street if you can find it or in one of the parking structures in the downtown area. Prices were reasonable for sushi this good.

We will return to Totoro on my next trip to Ann Arbor.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

Totoro is our favorite sushi spot in AA and never disappoints. The Oishii and Michigan rolls are my favorite and their regular rolls are always great, too. If you're not a sushi fan, the noodle bowls and chicken dishes are delicious! The staff are always friendly and service is fast.

1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

So... I went here with my wife, as it was raining and most other places were packed after the U of M football game. I should have went hungry and gotten wet. I ordered the deluxe sushi plate (not cheap). Every single piece of fish was borderline inedible. I spit out half of it, begrudgingly swallowed a few pieces of flavorless fish, and left 4 pieces of the plate (untouched). Long story short, if you want good sushi, skip this place. If you want chicken teriyaki, give it a try. The employees were all very nice. Unfortunately, it didn't justify blowing that amount of money of bad raw fish...

Reviewed 23 September 2016

Really neat experience to eat at the bar and watch the rolls being made on site! Definitely best to go early in the week or during the summer to avoid school crowds.