“Best Resort”

Belmond La Residence d'Angkor
Ranked #40 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

This is the best resort I have stayed in! Gardens, location, pool, gardens, rooms and amenaties are wonderful. The staff are the friendliest I have encountered from all areas of the resort. The food is first class. We will definitely be staying with the Belmond chain of hotels again. Do yourself a favour and stay in this hotel. You will not be disappointed.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Thomas H, General Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

What a wonderful review, it is truly an honour to be called the best resort you have stayed in! I am thrilled that you had such a great stay with us and that all of our team looked after you so well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the wonderful world of Belmond at our other hotels, trains and cruises around the world.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel provided excellent service and accommodations. The pool was incredible with a wonderfully friendly employee who manned the pool area. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our time in Siem Reap. We would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Thomas H, General Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Abby R,

Thank you for your five star review, we're all delighted that you enjoyed such a great stay with us. I am so pleased that our team went above and beyond to create a memorable stay for you and we hope to welcome you back next time you are in Siem Reap.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

After our last visit in April, we had a few days to kill and get away from busy Yangon and enjoy more qauint Siem Reap

The Hotel did not dissappoint and all we had mentioned in our last review still counts,great place,great peole and great product

Well done to Belmond and the Siem Reap team

Room Tip: Go for the Pool side Garden Suites,great ambiance
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear uncleho69,

We were delighted to welcome you back to Belmond La Residence d'Angkor and it's great to know that your stay was as good as your last visit. I do agree that Siem Reap is more quaint than Yangon and I'm delighted that you enjoyed a relaxing stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home in Siem Reap.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

I have written many hotel reviews for TripAdvisor which I consider fair assessments of my experiences as a paying guest; unfortunately I now submit my first ever 1* review (all my ratings of other reviewed hotels have ranged from 3* to 5*). We're your average mum, dad and child family who saved up and dropped a lot of coin on a trip from Aus to Asia and were really looking forward to our holiday. The Belmond La Residence D'Angkor is indisputably a beautiful hotel, an oasis in the still-developing and hectic city of Siem Reap. First impressions are fabulous and it is clear that the staff are well-trained in the hospitality industry. If you're staying for a couple of nights, you'll likely have a wonderful time and remember this place fondly (food is great; rooms are beautifully appointed and clean; turn-down service at night is a special treat; ambience is peaceful; staff are friendly and attentive; decadent spa on-site). The 5* reviews from many other travellers don't surprise me and I'm sure are reflective of their experience.

Stay for longer and you may start to notice some inconveniences that take the shine off a bit but probably won't affect a high review rating....(bed doesn't seem to be comfort zoned so a restless night for one means a restless night for two; nowhere to dry wet swimming gear or clothes that get soaked in the rain; no guest laundry and the hotel laundry service charges $30 per small bag (and that's apparently a special deal; commercial laundries on the street advertise $1 per kilo); exorbitant price for small soft drinks in the cocktail lounge (you can buy these cold at the local shops for 60c a can); a terrible and persistent smell in the lift after rainy weather; and for us, no porterage service at checkout. The prices are not unusual for high-end hotel chains and, as always, guests can choose to pay these if they wish or opt for cheaper off-site options for meals, drinks, laundry and spa services (also note that advertised prices at this hotel are subject to an additional 7.5% Service Charge and 10% Government Tax). As we had found an accounting discrepancy in our confirmation emails with the Belmond and our package supplier, we monitored our expenses carefully.

It all started well, but things went downhill fast for us when we were at the pool on our second day. A heavy potted plant that was partially submerged on the steps of the pool (but, as we now know, was not affixed or stabilized in any way....holy dooley!!) toppled in when our teenage son pushed off to swim underwater to the opposite side.....he was the only person in the pool at the time and immediately prior had been enjoying a quiet relax on the steps after having been asked by a pool attendant to take care around the pot (the staff member was right to be concerned about this pot!!). Despite doing everything possible to help rectify the situation (retrieving the pot and moving it to a safe area, collecting stones from the bottom of the pool, apologising to the pool attendants), we were subjected to being publicly berated by the General Manager and, in the same interaction. were falsely accused of causing a different pot to topple in the previous day. We did not know anything about a pot falling from the steps into the pool the day prior, which was the day we arrived, and told the manager this.....he seemed to find this incredulous (we didn't see any other children/teens in the complex during our stay.....perhaps he thought we were an easy target??) and persisted with his line of questioning before delivering a lecture about appropriate parental supervision (both parents were at the pool at the time; should we ever need parenting advice GM, we'll be sure to let you know!) Different countries no doubt have different standards of safety but clearly, heavy pots that are not affixed, top-heavy and tumble into pools are not a good or safe idea, regardless of how beautiful they may look. This was an accident waiting to happen and had it not happened to us, it would have happened to someone else (.....apparently it did, the day prior according to the GM.....so why was the known safety risk not proactively addressed and removed from the pool??) Suffice to say that the whole incident put a dampener on our holiday. Husband attended the cocktail event a couple of nights later and was greeted by the General Manager with, "I see you've brought the rain with you," before turning away and walking off (hmmmmmm.......exit stage left......I don't think I'm welcome here!) Also during our stay, a poolside tree uprooted and fell onto a deck chair (.....we were on the balcony of our room when this happened and no blame was apportioned our way for this one, but a safety audit of foliage in and around the pool area does sound like a great idea!!)

On our last morning, we sought to initiate contact with the General Manager to ensure that all was fine from his end and ours before we left, but were advised that he was absent due to a day off. We did, however, meet with the person in charge that day who organised, upon request, a printed copy of our invoice. We discovered then that we had been charged, without notification, a significant amount ($250 USD) for apparently breaking 2 pots, and cleaning fees (my husband would like his cut for the clean up thanks as he lead this!!) The person in charge tried his best to sort everything out for us, and did decrease the charge by 50% as we were not responsible for the first event. During our conversation we were told that the pots had only been placed on the pool step that week and that they were 'very special pots', hence the hefty price tag. He advised that the General Manager had been unable to be contacted by phone; we have since learned that the General Manager is also unresponsive to our email (.....looks like he's trying to dodge us.....we emailed our feedback survey over a week ago; there was provision in the survey for guests to request contact from the GM......haven't heard a peep.....). We are gobsmacked to have had these events unfold at a Belmond hotel.....a name synonymous with high standards and a price to match, but in this case, not high safety standards with regard to the pool (see attached verifying photos if you're similarly gobsmacked!).

Honourable people will do what they can to rectify and problem solve when unintentional incidents happen; it is inexcusable to make false accusations, publicly humiliate people and blatantly seek to capitalise beyond what is reasonable. It is also incumbent on hotels to provide safe environments.....consider the worst case scenario of a heavy pot toppling onto somebody in a pool.....not good. We now refer to our Cambodia holiday as our Scambodia holiday. So it's a resounding 1* from me, and unless guests can guarantee themselves an incident-free stay (which from my experience may be a risky exercise !!), I cannot recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen B
Thomas H, General Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear Karen B

Thank you for your long and detailed review

While we obviously appreciate receiving constructive feedback in any form it is always nice to receive this while on property since we did meet several times and I spoke to your husband just 2 nights before you checked out.

After the first incident involving your son and the breakage in the Pool was reported to me I did not think it was necessary reminding you that parents are responsible for their kids, you did come across as responsible parents after we first met and chatted during the Managers Cocktail, hence I left it there.

When it was reported to me that the same incident happened again the very following day I started to be concerned about the safety of your son and our other guests and hence went to speak with you at the Poolside.

I appreciate that this marred your experience with us and your stay but surely this can't be blamed on the Hotel or the Manager.

We took good note on your other comments regarding the laundry and drink prices and can assure you that they are in line with any Hotel of this standing and appreciate that you can find better deals outside the Hotel, no question about that.

Last but not least we would be pleased to welcome you back at any time for an incident free stay enjoying true Belmond and Khmer Hospitality.

Should you like to discuss your experience further feel free to mail me directly at thomas.henseler@belmond.com

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Few hotels I have been I felt so much harmony, elegance and light. Like a zen temple. Wonderful, discreet attention from all the staff.
Comfortable, elegant rooms with everything one need
Huge choice at the breakfast, wonderful staff
Good central location - walking distance to the markets - altough I highly recomend Artinsans d'Angkor - either the shop at the hotel or go to the factory in Siem Reap. As usual, Bemond is some of the finer products in the tourism industry - wherever there is a Belmond, I stay with them. It's art - from A - Z. Thanks to all of you at Résidence d'Angkor.

Room Tip: I think, the rooms near the pool area are quieter - before you arrive, send a mail to the hotel the...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank andrejoho

Dear andrejoho,

What a wonderful review, I am delighted that you were able to appreciate the art of Belmond. It's great to know that our team looked after you so well and that you were comfortable in your suite. I do also agree that Artisans d'Angkor offer some of the best shopping in town.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Siem Reap.