All reviewshaitang baypoolsbbqforeignerscons
Reviewed 4 March 2018

We stayed there for three nights including the Chinese New Year. We loved the understated elegance of the architecture and indoor deco, and the private tub on the patio. Very peaceful, as the hotel is quite empty. Most were Chinese seniors from the Northeast with their small grandchildren. The staff was friendly and courteous. Ther are only two restaurants open including a buffet. The buffet food selection looks mediocre and very expensive (especially the New Year’s Eve price), and since we are not big eaters, we decided to use the other Chinese restaurant mostly. We didn’t like the chicken dishes as they have chicken bones, but the eggplant dish was good. The service was slow, though. We walked to the much better rated resort nearby, hoping to find more food choices, but we didn’t like the environment and the menu there had nothing special. The other resort is much larger and has more shaded walking trails. Doubletree doesn’t have walking trails, but you can take a taxi or bus to a nearby mountain park. We didn’t do it because we thought it would too hot to climb a mountain.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Infinitetraveler81
Richard G, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Dear Infinitetraveler81,

Thanks for the review.

Great to read that the staff was friendly and courteous but sorry that the service was slow during Chiense New Year.

Neverthelss, we do hoep you will consider our hotel for your next Chiense New Year holiday in 2019.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 February 2018

I stayed in double tree Sanya during the Christmas period 2017. It was not a pleasant experience at all considering the premium I was paying compare to all other local hotels. I’ll try to be fair on my comments. So I will do the pros and cons.

Pro:
- Remotely located therefore you get your peace and quiet from the main tourism on the island.
- Family friendly
- Great effort on the Christmas themed buffet for dinner. The selection of food at the buffet is huge. Have variety of BBQ food, Asian food and Caucasian food. The food quality had a great standard.

Cons:
- First it was a long waiting time to get serviced. Then bad experience when they try to pull up my booking. First they got it wrong, said I booked 5 nights instead of 3 nights and a much premium room. Then took 10-15minutes to figure out my actual booking.
- As I booked an Ocean View Room, I expected to see at least some water. When I arrived at the room, looking out from the balcony, all I can see is trees and building. There wasn’t even a glimpse of water in sight. Reported to the management, they said that is the “Ocean Room”. This is even when I showed them the photo I took attached that I can't see any water, all they said is sorry, this is the room. I did know want to get into an ugly dispute with them on Christmas day, thus let this one go. However, I’m very disappointed with the service Double Tree provided in this situation.
- Last thing, when I asked for the room service food menu to be provided to the room, as the room seem to be missing one. It did not come even after I requested 3 times. At the end I just had to walk to the restaurant.

Overall, terrible service and misleading accommodation information. Location is good for family, but out of the way for the main part of Sanya.

Room Tip: Confirm your room is ocean room when booking
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo

Dear Kevin D,

Thanks you for your review of our hotel.

Whilst I was happy to read of the remote location for peace and quiet, Family friendly, Christmas buffet, huge buffet and food quality had a great standard, it was of course disappoint to read of the long waiting time to get serviced, the room booking and view and the room service menu.

Please rest assured that all your comments are noted and we still hope that you will consider returning to the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang bay, should your travels ever bring you back to Sanya.

Best regards,

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

The weather in January is very bad; cloudy, windy and cold. We basically sat in our room the whole day and when we tried to leave early they did not agree to cancel our reservation. It was a terrible experience

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear elmarzouki. I was really sorry to read that the weather impaired your holiday experience with us. Whilst we try to achieve high quality in the hotel and service that we provide, the weather in Sanya is normally delightful but I was sorry to read that it was not so during your stay. Best regards, Richard.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We booked 2 nights at double tree sanya to stay with our 2 kids. Our panoramic view was actually very spacious, with very nice view on the pool, the garden and of course the sea. Room was well arranged, clean but not spotless. Service in general is good but catered to Chinese mass tourism. On the good side, I would say, pools were nice, garden well arranged, hotel has a nice access to a private beach and the outdoor are somehow not to crowded. On the wrong side, beach is not clean, you can't swim in the sea (forbidden in haitang bay), breakfast is decent but so crowded it looks like a war scene, restaurants options are average and pricy. One more things, kids playground are as well quite limited. To sum up, it is a good middle upper hotel for family but no where near a luxury hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank teleM6
Richard G, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Dear teleM6,

Thank you for your kind comments, especially the very nice view on the pool, the garden and of course the sea, in a room that was well arranged and clean, where the service in general is good.

We look forward to having you stay with us again, should your travels ever bring you back to Haitang Bay.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Our rooms were perfect! We booked garden view and two rooms, they were interconnecting with a shared balcony. Our friends booked the same, we could put the kids to bed and then relax on the outdoor space. Although a little tired, the functionality was more important to us.

The breakfast buffet was lovely, and despite the number of people (a long weekend) all stations were well replenished. A good selection of Chinese and western food.

The pools were great, due to low season not all were open, but enough for us and the kids to enjoy a whole day poolside!

The kids did some craft activities and despite the ages ranging from 5-9 they loved it... some great take home crafts.

There was live music every night, our girls enjoyed dancing to the music!

Throughout our stay the staff have been wonderful and very helpful, even with the occasional language barriers :-)

The only disappointment was the government has closed all beaches in Haitang Bay for swimming.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Richard G, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Dear RogeresEm,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback on your recent stay.

I was glad to learn of how you enjoyed your 'perfect' rooms and to read about the other aspects of your stay, which all seem to have hit the mark, most certainly our live band, if it had your girls dancing!

Thank you for your understanding of the local authority beach restrictions and we do hope that this will not deter you from future stays as we certainly look forward to the opportunity of accommodating you once again in DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Sanya Haitang Bay, should your travels ever bring you back to the South Coast of Hainan.

Yours sincerely,