US$131
  • Room Service
US$95
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsmid leveltypical chineserooms are cleanairport buspizza hutexcellent locationcarrefoursquarekfc
Reviewed 11 August 2015

We were really looking forward to our visit in Qingdao. Having booked the Copthorne hotel, which is located in a good location, and with generally good reviews, we expected to get some good relaxation. After all, we booked their Executive rooms, with lounge access and what not.. Well, we got it, partly.. but not on the part from the hotel.. but let's start the story..

On arrival, shortly before 3pm, we found a lengthy queue in the lobby. Well, it was sunday, and we expected many guests checking in and out on that day, so we queued too. Not much happened for 10 minutes. 20 minutes. Apart from more people queuing behind us. About 90% Chinese guests, with couple Koreans and some Non-Asian guests in the mix too. No one had a clue whats going on, as actually no one was checked in. Two people at the reception doing some typing on their computer, but no progress.

After 30min, most people (especially those in front of us, waiting slightly longer) got really annoyed. The 2 guys from the hotel behind the counter suddenly vanished. The other hotel personal were "not responsible". So we had to wait longer.. after about 1 hour - it was close to 4pm by now - the first guests had enough, and left. Guess some other hotels in the area got some last-second bookings.

They DID allow some VIP's to check in manually - surprising why they wouldn't (slowly but steadily) check others in manually too.. they had the rooms, they had the personal for it..

We had enough too - but having arrived with plenty of luggage, and while we speak Chinese, not really willing to move - we decided to go for the lounge to wait. The personal there was equally clueless about whats going on, but let us wait.. after a while, all Non-Chinese guests which equally had no clue what was going on found their way up (guided by us) and we waited, at least having some snacks and drinks. The Chinese majority was still standing in the lobby waiting.

5pm came, and we eventually got really pissed. I asked the ladies at the lounge again whats going on - one of them explained that apparently the only staff member that understands their system to checkin people was sick. Funnily enough, it was an extremely old version of Fidelio, which I do have worked before on. So I checked if there was a problem, like a massive overbooking or anything. Nope. All good. About 140 rooms were free, with 39 to be occupied. Well. in theory, parts of the rooms had already parted to other hotels (pun intended)

So I told them, that I can check us in. They almost let me to do it, when their manager came and forbid them. I told him that if he doesn't let me do it, then he better does it himself. We were waiting over 2 hours by now..

Went down for the lobby, and by now a local TV crew has been interviewing other wanna-be guests, and a police car just arrived. Guess now there was enough pressure on the hotel and EVENTUALLY they started to check in guests.. after 6pm!

Of course, they lost our reservation (other guests, having booked the same rate over the same agency were in the system, so clearly hotel's fault again) - and while the eventually gave us the room rate we booked, they denied us all other included packages (free laundry etc.) we've had in the booking. A complaint has been filled with booking.com but the hotel refused to answer it.

In the end, we decided it was not worth to complain further, so I'm just writing this review to inform others about our experience..

So, back to the room: It was actually ok for a 4*. Decent room size, decent bed, old but OK bathroom, nothing to complain here.

The lounge does offer some alcoholic beverages 5-9pm as well as snacks (most tasting "ok"ish but not really nice) and breakfast in the morning. The breakfast in the lounge is limited, but more civilized than the main breakfast area, which is a zoo most of the time.

Breakfast options vary HEAVILY, one day there is quite some tasty stuff, other days, similar stuff just tastes bad, one day they've an omelette station, another day they don't. Bacon is on request only, and if you order eggs sunny side up, they come half-raw, no matter how much you tell them to properly fry them.

The pool is flooded with children at any time, so swimming is quite hard. Besides that, you NEED a "swimming cap" (which they don't have to rent or even sell..)

Besides the checkin-issue of waiting 3 hours, the rate that didn't include everything what we booked, the breakfast that sometimes was OK and sometimes was MEH, we just had to wait 1 hour on the day we left, since apparently the room safe had run out of battery power, and couldn't be opened anymore. Much fun! Luckily we didn't had to catch an airplane..

TL; DR: The location and the rooms of the hotel are good. The lounge is OK.
But there is ZERO crisis management, having ALL guests waiting 3 hours to check in, and 1 hour for us to wait on check out when the safe batteries run empty.

Would I stay here again? Definitely not, unless the management totally changes the way the hotel is run. If there would have been no problems, the hotel would have been a solid 3.5/5, but.. well, if you read my review, you understand why I would give 0/5 if that's been possible..

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2015

Once again met by a smoky lobby and eating area. Our room was relatively smoke free, but not completely. Room was spacious and quiet, with a great view of the busyness of Qingdao. Breakfast buffet was great and varied.

Room Tip: get a smoke free floor and check to see if it really is before you check in.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2015

I booked this hotel thinking it was a five star hotel. Upon arrival I realised it was only four star. HOWEVER, even so, this hotel would not be anymore than 3 star in the UK. This is a dreadfully dated, tired old place. The whole place is designed for a Chinese clientele. Tacky gold lifts, mostly smoking floors, shabby carpets, no free wifi, no iron, not even a shoe horn... very very basic. The furniture is very cheap and old fashioned, much like 1950's motel style and the whole stay was just a big mistake. You can do much better for your money in any Chinese city. i won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Nathan W
Reviewed 30 March 2015

Location
- - not too far from airport
- - close to business district - banks - upcoming subway.

- - very friendly and cooperative staff.

Rooms
- - normal business standard rooms
- - some rooms have very dim lighting - if you need to work then one has to request for additional lamps.
- - washrooms are clean and properly maintained.
- - wifi signal is good and acceptable.

There are gym facilities although i was unable to use it.

Room Tip: Request a room with more lighting and closer to the wifi hotspot if internet is important for you.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Hari_P3
Reviewed 7 November 2014

What do I want of a hotel? Not a lot really - a smooth check in, a clean, dark and quiet room, a comfortable bed, a warm and strong shower, bacon and egg for breakfast, and help with transport away from the hotel. Oh, and perhaps a quiet and comfortable bar in which to wind down after a busy day. Not too much to ask I feel. Unfortunately, the Copthorne Qingdao fails on too many counts.
I grew up close to the village of Copthorne in Sussex, England and know the original Copthorne hotel well. The group has grown substantially and this was the first time I had found myself at one of the extended chain. First the good points: check in was reasonable, the room spacious and clean and, if you like your bed to be on the solid side of firm (as do I), then you will find this one more than acceptable.
However, having recovered from cancer, I appreciate the non-smoking regime that has been adopted over recent years in most major centres. I was most surprised when, sat in the bar in the hotel lobby documenting the day's events and planning tomorrow's activities, for the No Smoking signs to be removed from each of the tables and to be subjected to the non-too-subtle wafts of tobacco from some surrounding tables. It seems that from 21:00 onwards, if I wanted to stay smoke-free, I had to return to my room. Which I did. Not acceptable.
Next, a shower head over a bath with one of those ever so luxurious plastic curtains that took 30 seconds to respond to temperature adjustments even though it had the power of an early Spring shower in the Sahara leaves a lot to be desired. Breakfast offered an empty dish of bacon that required me ( the customer, remember) to chase three individuals to think to begin to cook to order(!) and coffee was served only after being requested. As for transport to the hotel: "Sorry Sir, we can't book a taxi for you. You have to go into the street and wave wildly at 06:30 in the morning". But we will still charge you average hotel rates. WHAT!!!

No, oh no. I might be being unfair, but I will not be returning. Sorry Copthorne, I am severely disappointed.

Room Tip: Sorry, but cannot give any advice.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business