“Great location but...”

Civil Aviation Hotel
Ranked #728 of 2,748 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Good things first:
- cheap considering the location
- room is large,
- bed and pillows are comfy,
- free wifi in the room,
- breakfast is fine,
- very good location in Chengdu (walking zone with all the shops, restaurants etc. ...) so it is convenient to walk around and only it takes a 10 minutes walk to the subway
- friendly staff despite very poor English but at least they tried

Then comes the improvement points:
- room smelt strongly cigarettes and bathroom smelt sewer so we asked to change room. Next one was less smelly but still quite strong (was on our clothes next morning) and the bathroom still smelt badly sewer. View was ok but the window did not close properly, and since Chinese honk quite often, we diminished the noise by blocking our luggage in front of the window. Thankfully it was not winter time despite already cool.

Overall I would recommend for one or two nights because of the great location and the reasonable price.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 June 2012

I love this hotel so much and I very much like to come back on my next visit. The location of the hotel is right at the city center. Restaurants and shopping complex are within walking distant and it's very safe to walk around at night around the areas too. The hotel rate is very reasonable and most importantly the services are excellent and staffs are friendly with smiles. Rooms are alright and cleaned.

Room Tip: Rooms are mostly quiet at night as the hotel is away from the main traffic. Air condition and TV are...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I travelled to Chengdu with my girlfriend. Having read good reviews here, we expected more. At first look, the lobby seemed like this hotel was promising. We paid 240 yuan for our room. Once we got out of the elevator, the hallway had a very strong smell. The hall was poorly lit and everything was old. Once we entered the room, it did not smell of cigarette, but it did not look very comfortable or appealing. The walls are all yellow and cracked. The bathroom is not very clean. Every thing is old.

I would not recommend this hotel, besides as a last resort.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OuterLimitTraveller
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I have stayed at this hotel three times as extensions of business trips. Basically I stay here because of the price (cheap) and location (central, and across the street from the Crowne Plaza where I go if I'm on biz).

Location. Central, just off the main road. A 2-minute walk to Chunxi Road. A 15-minute walk to Tianfu Square. Taxi from the airport should be between 50 and 60rmb.

Rooms. Worn and dated. On one stay the bedsheet had holes in it. Free internet.

Food. I've only tried the included-in-price breakfast and that was pretty spartan. Chinese veggies, some buns, plain porridge, Tang-ish juice. Chengdu is a world-class food city so I would recommend you explore the area for better food.

Service. Don't expect any. The front desk staff was nice enough, but the language skills weren't there and as such they more or less ignore you.

Tip: There's a lot of luxury shops around (one complex across the street at the Crowne Plaza, several department stores on Chunxi, and more at Tianfu), but if you're looking for more market-type stalls where haggling comes into play, try the Kowloon (Jiu Long) complex a block away from the hotel (take a right out the front door).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BB_in_BJ
Reviewed 23 February 2010

stayed here in June 2009 for 1 week. I was happy with my stay there.

While it's not the cheapest hotel in Chengdu, the location couldn't be any better. It's on a small street which intersects with the ChunXi pedestrian mall, making it about a 1 minute walk away from the central shopping area. For that reason alone, I'd recommend it.

The room was clean and *huge*. Perhaps too big. I booked a twin room (the cheapest room on Ctrip), and there was a fairly big empty space despite having two beds, a desk, side table and two comfortable arm chairs in the room. I had quite a nice street view from my room.

The hotel is showing its age, but at this price for the location, what do you expect? Just some small things such as
the wood on the bottom of the closet door needs re-sealing, and the bathroom felt well worn (but clean).

The service was adequate, although the staff on the front desk always seemed stressed out and over worked. I didn't try speaking English to them. Every night at about 10pm I got a call on the phone from a girl... I suspect selling special services... but this is to be expected in any hotel, and at least they didn't come to the door like in some other places.

The hotel has a free shuttle service from the hotel to the airport when you leave, which was very useful.

All in all, I don't hesitate to recommend this hotel if you want a 5-star location at a 2 or 3 star price and are willing to keep your expectations realistic. I have already booked a room here again for my next trip to Chengdu.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo