“Beautiful boats and wonderful guides”

Galapagos Alternative
More attraction details
Owner description: At Galapagos Alternative we specialize in personalized land-based tour packages. We offer unique experiences of the islands the way we see them: as locals. Choose the sights and activities most interesting to you, stay at local places, eat at local restaurants, and of course, get up-close experiences with the amazing animals that make the Galapagos Islands so special. We can help you find the best options to fit your timeframe, budget and preferences. We can help with all aspects of your trip, from booking unique accommodations to daily activities and transport between the islands. We are Jill and Javier Moreno, and we'd like to welcome you to our home. We look forward to treating you like family, showing you our favorite places, and ensuring that you have the experience of a lifetime in the amazing and beautiful Galapagos!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Our day trips through Galapagos Alternative were fantastic. A representative met us at our hostel the day of our arrival to go over some details about the boats and she gave us great recommendations for dining options in Puerto Ayora. She even went and rented wet suits for our family, at $5 a day, and had them dropped off at our hostel while we went out to dinner. The boats were big and very clean, the group numbers were low, the food was delicious, and the guides were knowledgeable and friendly. Our guide to Bartolome, Alejandro, even went snorkeling with us and took video that he later airdropped to everyone in the group with an iPhone. The footage was beautiful. I would highly recommend this company for day trips throughout the Galapagos.

1  Thank Kim K
in 4 reviews
"pick ups"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Never having booked a tour myself to another country and unsure of details to consider, I choose Galapagos Alternative after reading reviews. I was not disappointed! The trip was organized according preferences for my husband and I, and Maria did a great job seeing to it that everything was included as well as suggesting a few extra activities for us to consider. I went with her suggestions, and it was fabulous! Maria and Emilie checked with us every day to make sure things went smoothly. The hotel recommendations,Cucuve Suites and La Casa de Marita, were wonderful with friendly, accommodating staff. The wildlife is incredible; we learned so much about the unique environment of the Galapagos Islands from our tour guides! We hiked, kayaked, snorkeled, ate fabulous local food, and enjoyed the gorgeous scenery and wonderful people of the Galapagos community. Thank you Galapagos Alternative for helping us have such an amazing trip!

1  Thank SJ_Koc
jilapagos, Owner at Galapagos Alternative, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. We are very pleased to know you had such an amazing trip and that we were able to exceed your expectations! It´s comments like these that make our day. Thanks again!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had a wonderful time at Galapagos with the assistance of Galapagos Alternative team. I was travelling on my own and it was all very organised from the moment I stepped off from the plane. When I arrived at the hotel, Maria was already there greeting me at the lobby. She came every evening to brief me for the next day's itinerary which was very thoughtful.

I was recommended to visit North Seymour and Bartolome Island as I am not familiar with water sports. It was an amazing experience to see blue-footed boobies, iguana, sea lions and dolphins in such a close distant! With the help of the guide and nice new friends in the tour, I got to try how to snorkelling for the every first time in my life. If not, I would have missed how beautiful the sea underworld, penguin and sea turtles! I would highly recommend whoever is planning to go Galapagos to contact them for personalised tours.

Thanks for the kind recommendation and positive feedback! We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your visit and that our team was able to make it extra special. And good for you for trying something new! The underwater world in Galapagos is just as amazing as the dry side. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Galapagos Alternative was wonderful to work with! Maria came to our hotel every evening and went over what we could expect the following day. Everything was so well organized and high quality. We wouldn't use anyone else!!

jilapagos, Owner at Galapagos Alternative, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Thanks, Nancy! Our pleasure. :)

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 June 2018

Oh. My. God. This is all I can say about my experience with this company. From the moment we stepped off the plane in Baltra, to the time we headed back to the mainland, Galapagos Alternative provided us with the best travel experience I've ever had. It all started from the first e-mail that I sent back in January letting them know I wanted to cross off the islands off my bucket list for my 33rd birthday. The folks in the Puerto Ayora office were quick to respond and work with me to make sure that I had a unforgettable experience within my budget.

Every single aspect of the trip was taken care of. When we stepped off the plane, there was a sign with my name (because who doesn't love that) and a friendly smile waiting to usher us into the VIP lounge while they retrieved our bags and I enjoyed a refreshment. In transport to our hotel in Puerto Ayora, we completed three tours in the highlands with a certified guide who gave us an interesting history of the islands and it's intimate relationship between inhabitants and nature. And that was only the beginning.

We stayed a day in Puerto Ayora with some great suggestions from Sabine to visit Tortuga Bay where we did some independent snorkeling and relaxing in the sea. Her food suggestions were on point a well. She even told us where to sit on the boat from Santa Cruz to Isabela to avoid sea sickness (the seas are rough, so follow their instructions).

We were greeted in Isabela by Emilie who whisked us off to the best hotel on Isabela. Isabela was a stark contrast from the "hustle" of Santa Cruz. It was true island living. The food was even better. Emilie reflects the spirit of the island; a carefree, no rush, take it all in attitude. Ecuador is lucky to have such a wonderful woman helping visitors to discover the spirit of the island. We kayaked with sea lions, penguins, rays, turtles, sharks, sea horses, endemic fish and more. Most people will think you are lying about the biodiversity, but it's all true. I saw it with my own eyes and my Nikon D3400!

Please believe people when they say that a sea based cruise cannot provide you with the service and experience that a land based tour from Galapagos Alternative can. I honestly do not think I can travel to any other islands in the world and not expect the same level or service. They set the bar - and it was only my 33rd birthday!

I was actually sad to leave. After two weeks of traveling, I am always excited to get back to my own bed, but not this time. They've forever made me a fan of spending more time in nature and to appreciate and respect our impact on the only Earth we will ever have. For the next week I'll dream of dozing off in the hammock of Casita de Maria listening to waves crash against the beach. And special mention to Casa de Judy back on Santa Cruz. Judy was the happiest person I’ve ever met. That’s island life for you.

And on top of it - we made some great new friends (from the US, Scotland, Chile, Columbia, Italy, Germany, England, and more) that I hope will become travel buddies for the foreseeable future (a shoutout to Tim and Kim who left a review as well, they made the trip even more rad). Maybe a reunion in the Galapagos!?

Use this opportunity to practice your Spanish. Though everyone speaks English, challenge yourself. Everyone will smile and make sure you get everything you need.

Don’t book a trip to the island without talking to these folks first. You’re doing yourself a disservice! Thank you again Galapagos Alternative!

Oh my! I hope we didn't spoil you too much. ;) We do our best, the animals do the rest!
We find that the positive and adventurous travelers attract the animals to them.
I agree it's certainly difficult to do the regular tourist thing after visiting Galapagos.

Thank you so much for the glowing review. One of the best reviews yet!
Here's to many more amazing birthday trips!