Sea Sun Hotel Dahab
US$67
US$62
Dive Urge(Dahab)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Really really want to book here for april but the reviews are putting me off. Can someone give me a honest review (NO FUSSY BEGGERS)

thanks

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura W
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed for 2 weeks bed and breakfast - thankfully not full board as the food is terrible and I gave up with the breakfasts after a week. The pool was freezing with salt water, also all the showers in the rooms have a high salt contant in the water too, so you never feel really clean. There seemed to be a housefly infestation at the hotel, flies in the dining room over the food and even sun bathing by the pool were are so irritating.

The staff are good and and eager to please, but the management do not seem to have any idea on how to run a hotel or of the catering requirements.

If you are in to diving you will probably forgive much of the above - but if you are not and want some nightlife book a hotel in Sharm el Sheik as most of the entertainment is there.

Some nice restaurants in Dahab, but you will need to take a taxi or the once daily shuttle bus from the hotel. Best advice is to hire a scooter from Dahab for around GB£12 per day to get around. There is a shop which is called Most Wanted is near the Lighthouse on the sea front in the shops behind and the guy who rents them is called Osama.

The local shops in Dahab are full of tourist tat and you will get hassled to go in and look at every turn. The same is true for the restaurants. The best restaurant being Shark along the sea front.

Room Tip: Book a hotel in Sharm el Sheik
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank PAD_8
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I have just been on holiday here as a package, and wished I had read the reviews before booking.
The hotel is quite far out from the main area of Dahab itself and is wedged on both sides by the skeletons of half constructed developments that don't look as if they are being finished. It is therefore quite isolated and a real hassle if you want to do any more than stay in one spot for the whole holiday. If you do, the pool is freezing - no one swam in it while I was there bar a very energetic kid! They do have a section of beach and a walkway into some reef area, but there is no bar or food available there.
I only booked for breakfast and they overcharge you if you want to have dinner or lunch there, and the food is fairly basic, a number of people complained about it while I was there - you can get much better fare in Dahab town.
The rooms were not in my view kept up well, I had to change the first room as you couldn't lock the door!
There is a connected diving operation by the hotel, but their moto is "No Stupid Limits!", which frankly says it all. Don't stay here if you want to go diving, you will do much better searching for one of the established dive hotels in Dahab Town.
The staff were a mixture. The lady sorting out trips for people was pleasant, professional and not overbearing. Some of the other staff equally were helpful, but as a negative example, they cancelled the shuttle into town on East European New Years till there were objections, but then I heard them still tell people there was no shuttle - obviously trying to keep people in!
This place looks good on the brochure, but I'm afraid for me it didn't even meet the old adage of you get what you pay for - you don't.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank DivingTraveller101
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Shower pressure was useless, i would have more power myselef after a couple of pints, no sink or bath plugs I requested them 3 times. Food was half cooked and disgusting, the omlette for breakfast, desserts and the bread were the only things that I could say were ok. The pool was freezing, the sea was 8 degrees warmer, by all means come here but bring your own food and entertainment.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fenian007
Reviewed 16 December 2011

If you are going to Egypt for diving, snorkeling or windsurfing Sea Sun hotel probably the best or one of the best places to stop. It’s very close to world-famous dive-site Blue hole. Almost half of the residents of the hotel are divers. In the evening on many balconies you can see wetsuits, fins, masks and so on.
We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel but I’m not sure that everyone would enjoy it as much as we did when you see how in the evening some divers wash their wetsuits in the swimming pool of the hotel . In any way if you are looking for luxury, comfort and excellent service it’s not a place for you but if you are looking for adventures it’s a right place.
When we came to the hotel and they brought us to the first room we were really shocked. Actually the room overlooked a big construction place. I’m not spoiled by luxury but it was too much even for me. The view from the second room we were shown was a little bit better, but the room itself needed serious reconstructions. The third room was really good (at least after first two), had an excellent sea view but it worth us extra $ 20. In any way it’s not too much.
The staff was really very friendly and helpful. Food was OK. Number of camels walking through the territory of the hotel every morning one side and every evening another side impressed me a lot. Being serious the strongest impression was the poverty of locals. Of course you won’t see it on the territory of the hotel but we walked to the nearest Bedouin village and their way of life was more than shocking.
I use the opportunity to say thanks to “Planet Diver” diving center (the hotel has another dive center, but we decided to use cheaper one in Dahab and was extremely pleased with it). Instructors Jane Peskova and Pasha Filatov organized excellent diving for us. They were very professional, very enthusiastic and also very nice and interesting people to communicate with.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple