We have experienced impeccable service and spectacular scenery at many top resorts and lodges around the world, but we have NEVER received the level of genuine kindness and sincerity we received at this resort and the experience was the highlight of our trip to Fiji.
That intangible quality is hard to explain. Certainly nothing was too much to ask, but it was the accompanying generous attitude and earnest desire to respond personally that was amazing, much like one wants to please and take care of friends and family. We would have missed the most valuable lessons that Fiji has to offer if we had not left the tourist areas near Viti Levu and come to Taveuni and stayed at this resort.
The resort's tropical garden are full of colorful flowers. The grounds and public buildings are immaculate and in good working order, as was our bure. The walls of glass in the bedroom and living room opened up completely to the outdoor lanai so we could enjoy true indoor-outdoor living. Placement of doors and windows ensure cooling breezes through the bure during the day. At night, we closed the doors and turned on the bedroom a/c, allowing us to get a good night's sleep. The layout of the bure is both glamorous and efficient: every little detail has been thought of. Fresh tropical flowers were placed everywhere.
Although Matei is still without state-run electricity, the resort's generator runs 24 hours/day. Wifi is sufficient to handle basic e-mail and web sites, but don't expect to stream video. The resort has access to spring water, so water from the tap is potable.
We were assigned to the bure named "Seni Bitu". It sits slightly farther out towards the ocean than the other units and has the best, most spectacular view of any bure. The tradeoff is that it requires the longest walk to and from the restaurant or when you want to leave the premises. You may be carefully watched as you walk to and from your bure by many, many large frogs that dot the lawn of the resort after it rains.
The food served at the resort is carefully prepared, served, and of high quality much like you would find in a good restaurant. I am assuming it caters to Australian and New Zealand visitors, but we found the flavors too bland and needing more zip. The view from the restaurant is spectacular, overlooking the Somosomo strait and framed with the resort's pool, gardens and butterflies. The resident Doberman dogs and two charismatic cats visited us during our meals when we called them over, providing pet-petting therapy to help us further relax. If you need more animals, the owners also have two parrots in an aviary you can visit. All the animals are very respectful and well-behaved.
The cost of having spectacular views is that it is a (very) short hike down the hill to the resort's beach. While snorkeling is possible here, if you are not doing serious diving during your stay have the resort take you to Honeymooner's Island, a brief boat trip away and totally worth snorkeling for an intro to the multi-colored soft coral gardens and "Nemo" clownfish to get just a glimpse into why this area of the world is so famous for diving. The currents here were a bit strong for me, but not dangerous.
I'm sure it took the entire resort working together to ensure our seamless experience, but a special call-out to our guide Percy who accompanied us on most of our island and ocean travels and to our head housekeeper Bale...two quality human beings we were especially honored to get to know during our brief visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This award winning resort is a perfect destination for those seeking a luxurious, romantic, adventurous location. This jewel of the Pacific accommodates just 14 privileged couples in large, private, beautifully appointed bures, each enjoying unsurpassed panoramic views. This is a verdant paradise for nature lovers and lovers of nature, home to dense rain forests, 100's of waterfalls & rivers, white sand beaches, world class fishing and diving and wonderful cultural experiences. Enjoy our friendly staff, organic foods and homemade pasta's & gourmet island cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Taveuni Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taveuni Island Resort And Spa
- Taveuni Island Hotel Taveuni Island
- Taveuni Island Resort & Spa Fiji