The staff here really go above and beyond their call of duty to ensure their guests have the best time possible. If you're a diver or just looking for a break from reality, look no further than Garden Island. It is nothing short of paradise.
I have dove all over Fiji. Rainbow Reef is by far the best diving in Fiji (if not the entire South Pacific) and the dive guides- Leo, Anne and Joe- are true veterans and have been diving here their entire lives! These people know every rock on the reef and will take you the best spots without fail. They are also expert technicians when it comes to your dive gear so don't worry about having your gear serviced beforehand. Divemaster Leo can easily fix any problem you may have with your regulator or BC.
Depending on the season, LOADS of manta rays can be found here, usually frolicking on the surface when the current is running out. Many, many reef sharks also live here. Visit during the winter to maximize shark encounters: you can expect to see reef sharks on every dive during the winter (mating season). But also keep an eye out for Hammerheads, Silvertips and even Bronze Whalers. Head to "The Zoo" when the current is running out to see packs of grey reef sharks hunting massive schools of jacks, snappers, barracudas and giant trevally, whom in turn prey on massive schools of fusiliers. You need strong current to see all of this action here, so pack a reef hook. With all the dive sites on Rainbow Reef, more current means more action, and some dive sites really are for advanced divers only (White Wall).
The dive guides here know the currents intimately and seem to have an inbuilt, all-natural GPS system in their heads. They were the first Divemasters on the island and they did in fact discover many of the most-famous spots here ("Annie's Bommie"). I would trust no one but the Garden Island Dive Team when it comes to having an incredible dive holiday.
Make sure to request "Rainbow's End" and/or "Rainbow Passage" if the current is coming in (guides will know). These dive sites are so full of fish it is absolutely crazy! You are truly going to want to dive these sites over and over and over again! No matter where you have been diving, you will never grow bored of Rainbow Reef and it is utterly impossible not to appreciate the diversity of fish and corals here. Expect action-packed drift dives, riotously colored soft corals and intense fish action!
More impressive than the natural beauty of Rainbow Reef, however, is the genuine kindness and love that the local staff radiate. Book here and you won't regret it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wake up to beautiful panoramic views of the ocean and be lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves at award-wining Garden Island Resort on Taveuni, Fiji. With world class dive sites only moments away, and a coastal 9-hole golf course at your pleasure, there are a bevy of recreational pursuits to be enjoyed including coastal walks, bird watching, hiking, natural waterfalls and horse riding to name a few. Comprising of 15 Ocean front suites with a private patio, and 15 Ocean view rooms fully refurbished with private balconies, each room offers a private space for luxurious comfort and personalised service making Garden Island Resort your home away from home. Garden Island Resort is a PADI 5 Star Dive Resort with a fully equipped dive centre on site with professional and friendly dive crew offering PADI courses, and nitrox for advanced divers. Only 15 minutes away from the Rainbow Reef and over 20 dive sites, you are only moments away from world class diving and amazing soft coral. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Garden Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Island Hotel Taveuni Island
- Garden Island Taveuni
- Garden Island Resort Fiji/Taveuni Island