“Incredible dive resort. AMAZING REEFS! Even better staff!”

Garden Island Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Reviewed 4 September 2017

The staff here really go above and beyond their call of duty to ensure their guests have the best time possible. If you're a diver or just looking for a break from reality, look no further than Garden Island. It is nothing short of paradise.

I have dove all over Fiji. Rainbow Reef is by far the best diving in Fiji (if not the entire South Pacific) and the dive guides- Leo, Anne and Joe- are true veterans and have been diving here their entire lives! These people know every rock on the reef and will take you the best spots without fail. They are also expert technicians when it comes to your dive gear so don't worry about having your gear serviced beforehand. Divemaster Leo can easily fix any problem you may have with your regulator or BC.

Depending on the season, LOADS of manta rays can be found here, usually frolicking on the surface when the current is running out. Many, many reef sharks also live here. Visit during the winter to maximize shark encounters: you can expect to see reef sharks on every dive during the winter (mating season). But also keep an eye out for Hammerheads, Silvertips and even Bronze Whalers. Head to "The Zoo" when the current is running out to see packs of grey reef sharks hunting massive schools of jacks, snappers, barracudas and giant trevally, whom in turn prey on massive schools of fusiliers. You need strong current to see all of this action here, so pack a reef hook. With all the dive sites on Rainbow Reef, more current means more action, and some dive sites really are for advanced divers only (White Wall).

The dive guides here know the currents intimately and seem to have an inbuilt, all-natural GPS system in their heads. They were the first Divemasters on the island and they did in fact discover many of the most-famous spots here ("Annie's Bommie"). I would trust no one but the Garden Island Dive Team when it comes to having an incredible dive holiday.

Make sure to request "Rainbow's End" and/or "Rainbow Passage" if the current is coming in (guides will know). These dive sites are so full of fish it is absolutely crazy! You are truly going to want to dive these sites over and over and over again! No matter where you have been diving, you will never grow bored of Rainbow Reef and it is utterly impossible not to appreciate the diversity of fish and corals here. Expect action-packed drift dives, riotously colored soft corals and intense fish action!

More impressive than the natural beauty of Rainbow Reef, however, is the genuine kindness and love that the local staff radiate. Book here and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: All rooms are fantastic. Rooms on the first floor are a big larger.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ocelot1090

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Went here for a business meeting. The staff is very friendly. They pick you up at the airport and they address your every need. We had a business meeting there, but also had spare time for diving and snorkeling. The food is very fresh and very tasty. Really enjoyed the report. The rooms are clean and well kept. A great experience

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have direct beach access.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Judy W, Guest Relations Manager at Garden Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

We were delighted to have you stay with us at Garden Island Resort and are excited to hear that you had an enjoyable experience.Nothing pleases us more than hearing your nice compliments about our service and food. We sincerely hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back and to offer you a memorable stay next time you are at CHI. Should you need any assistance in your future visit to CHI, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Once in Nadi it’s only a short trip by small airplanes over to the beautiful island of Taveuni, a wonder of nature. From unique flowers to great waterfalls to the most amazing soft coral gardens the world has to offer. Taveuni is the real soft coral capital of the world and the crew of Garden Island Resort is up to showing you even little bit of it.

The flight from Nadi is fantastic along the coast of the main island over several small picturesque islands to Taveuni airport, where the resort’s transfer has already been waiting for me.

After a very short ride along the coast and a very quick, friendly and efficient checkin I got to my room on the ground floor - the rooms are big and nicely furnished. I liked the bathroom with very good water pressure and nice finishing.

The room had a nice terrace and a perfect sea view. Internet was very good too.

Meals are served in an open air restaurant - the food was fantastic - kudos to the chef.

The 30 room resort is cozy with a lovely pool and a mini SPA by the sea.

Sunsets are absolutely stunning to watch while sitting in the pool with a drink in your hand :-)

Land tours are highly recommended as is scuba diving, why I went there in the first place - I am a very experienced scuba diver and thought I have seen it all - but not really - the soft corals are stunning and the dive crew was great.

I was there with the owner Phil on side - it’s nice to see that he really loves to be with his guests - he even took us out diving.

All in all a great experience for divers and non divers, a nice resort, wonderful people, unspoiled nature and great diving.

Could not recommend any place more than Garden Island Resort :-)

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Lakbay_007
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

I don't know where to start. This place is simply outstanding from start to end. When I was in Sydney I rang the hotel so many times as I was unsure of my transport and car rental but every time I rang the hotel I was assured just come and we will take of you and my god the staff took care of me with their heart ❤️ and soul.

On arrival I was picked up by Ciko who is the great ambassador of the hotel picks you up with a smile and straight away you feel at ease. After the beautiful drive to the hotel I was greeted by a welcome song by the staff and hence relaxation started the moment you enter this amazing resort. In the night me being always preplanning asked reception how will I get back to the airport and I was told to be quite and relax, she told me you just got here so go relax enjoy and let us worry about everything else and I was simply blown away by the extend they go to make your stay here a delight.

On arrival you are given a map and activities and sightseeing list to do. I suggest you don't seek activities anywhere simply chose what you like and pick it and get reception to arrange it. For less $300 Australian I saw everything had a 4x4 ride of the island, saw the beautiful falls , lakes waterfalls and waterfall slides so I suggest you book everything at the hotel. It's cheap and safe and you will see what you pay for as private tour providers are more concerned about their private car and may not take you to the destinations so please book all your activities at the hotel the staff the vehicle and the activities tours are great and also the hotel dive shop is simply stunning.

Now let me review the hotel. The arrival was great the pick up was so lovely and friendly the staff were simply amazing and always there to help you to make sure your stay with them is a memorable ☝️ one.

The grounds are lovely and well kept with the ocean front and the pool is lovely. A very well presented outside grounds that you can lay in the sun and just enjoy the wave the sound of nature and the sea. Outside furniture and hammock available. I can't fault the staff in anyway so all I can say is that being an international traveller and frequent flyer I have never seen the staff so loving towards the guests and off course it's a two way street you will need to respect their hard work in keeping you happy and comfortable. The general manager who recently joined the hotel was so hands on and she even joins the staff to sing you a goodbye song and that was so lovely and I was so emotionally touched that my eyes are watering as I am recalling to write my experience. They were all busy with their work as soon as they knew a guest leaves they all get together and sing in harmony wishing you a safe journey.

The rooms were so well kept and clean neat and fresh flowers on you bed toilet everyday and the great thing I noticed that the staff do they things they do because they loved doing it and there was no expectations. Clean linen and the despite the cyclone damage the hotel is constantly striving to be the best accomodation for you in the island. Great shower with great pressure and room with both ceiling fan and AC.

Look I can't fault this place so please stay here and enjoy the beautiful staff rooms and the activities. You need this place to relax. The food my lunch and dinner were so tasty a great job chefs and the housekeeping staff you did a great job with the rooms and thank you all so much that I can't wait to see you all and I hope readers will surly read my review to experience the wonderful time that I had.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank rogers_kumar
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Though not staying at the resort we were very kindly welcomed when we arranged to go diving. They were very professional and had good gear for us. We did two dives with them, the first at the fish factory where the coral was not as good but we saw large schools of fish including a beautiful scorpion fish. The second place there was a lot of beautiful colluded coral and I now understand why they call it the rainbow reef and we saw several white tip sharks. Thank you for the amazing experience!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple