“Accomodating, good food, nice people, great scuba diving”

Garden Island Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We are professional PADI dive instructors and visit at least 10 new exotic dive locations every year. This newly renovated hotel is a great value. The rooms are clean, the beds very comfortable and big, the showers warm and strong, the diving exceptional, local knowledge very good.

The last time we visited Fiji, we went to the Micheal Cousteau Resort, it was also fantastic in a more upscale way. We would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 February 2011

We spent a week at this wonderful resort, with a group of scuba divers from Colorado. From the moment we walked in, the place felt like home! The staff MAKE the experience. They are wonderful people who call you by your first name and treat you like family. We especially loved Theresa, Tracy, Ili, Eta, the entire wait staff, the band, the house keepers, and our diver masters Nia and Paulo. They all work together harmoniously to create a relaxing environment and the best possible experience. I really liked the food a lot, the accommodation were great and I slept like a baby, the place was spotless, the dives were top notch. It was a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I booked Garden Island Resort because it was one of the cheaper packages available on Taveuni, and it had the closest boat rides to dive Rainbow reef. I knew they had recently gone through rennovations, but still did not expect too much out of the resort other than a basic ammenities and good diving.

All I can say is, wow! What a pleasant surprise. Here are some of the highlights:

- The entire staff was so helpful and accomodating through the entire stay. From the hotel manager to the people that cleaned your rooms... EVERYONE made you feel like family.

- The guest rooms are great!
> King size bed is pretty firm and very comfortable
> Great bathrooms - Shower has new multi-showerhead option, and main shower head is big and puts out a lot of pressure - and hot water too!
> Small flat screen (for dvd watching only - no TV signal at the moment)
> Couch and balcony were both usable.

- Dining / Lounge area is fine, nothing special - it has lost its tiki theme and is a little more plain.

- New lounge furniture by the pool is very nice

- Wifi is available in the lobby (not in the guest rooms which is stated on their site) - speed quite snappy for basic web surfing.

Dive Center Highlights:

- Dive center is very professional, with very knowledgable dive staff that takes care of setting up your gear, switching tanks, breaking down and cleaning your gear each day.

- Dive masters have intimate knowledge of how the currents change throughout the day, and how that will impact your dive on each site.
- Guides give divers enough leeway to shoot photos and explore at a reasonable pace once they have proven capable divers.

Downsides

- The food, although not bad at all, it wasn't great. We didnt have a meal plan for lunch and dinner, and actually we were happy that was the case. There are a couple of other places that you can order in, or go to and try out. You get to explore a little more of the island and a few of the places had better food for cheaper prices.

- Some of the local residents in Taveuni are fruit bats - They hang out in the trees by the pool / lobby, which is actually really cool. But, even though the guest rooms are pretty quiet, some guests did complain that the bats woke them up. I didn't have this problem, but it's worth noting. Bring some ear plugs just in case.
I really expected a more bare bones experience prior to coming here. I would go back in a heartbeat assuming I could get a decent price on the flight back.

Some other miscellaneous notes:

- For US travellers - all outlets are Australian. The resorts have some adaptors for you to use, but pick up a few extra on Amazon. You can get AUS to USA adaptor for under $1 each. Each hotel room has A LOT of outlets. This is really good if you happen to be lugging a lot of computer & camera gear with you.

- If you are thinking about hooking up your laptop to the little flatscreen TV in your room, there are no HDMI inputs, but there is a VGA input, so bring the proper adapter.

- Water temperature over Christmas was around 81 degrees on every dive. A 3/2 wetsuit was plenty warm for us.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I would not hesitate to recommend the Garden Island Resort to anyone, especially divers. The welcome was genuine and warm and it just kept getting better. Special tanks to the GM, Mark, who makes it his business to get to know every guest and ensure they have a great stay. This resort is all about community and family and when you stay here, feel a part of it. The rooms are spotlessly clean and are all newly renovated. Ladies... the bathrooms are great (spa style). Fresh flowers are placed in the room every day. Meal times are quite rigid and menus limited, which they have to be given that this is not a large resort. But the food is fabulous. Lots of wonderful seafood dishes served with fruit and a touch of spice.

For divers, it is especially good. The dive operation is extremely professional, well equipped and well managed. The Dive Masters are strict with divers and have a 100% safety record. All the dive guides are locals, a critically important fact because they know the reefs and understand the local tides. Tides are strong here....local knowledge is important.

Quite often, the staff play beach volleyball outside the resort with the local community which is great to watch....... all foreigners are very welcome......

I really didn't want to leave the friends I made here at the resort......

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This is the second time I've been to Fiji and was happy to make up to the northern part this time, which I heard is more beautiful.. and it is!!

After being weighed in at the domestic counters and taking a short flight out we were met at the small airport by the resort manager Mark, and at the resort itself, the rest of the staff had gathered around to welcome us with a song!! They all greeted us by name - it was like coming home!

Unfortunately our bags were only arriving on the next flight, but we were settled into the uber comfortable rooms. They are surprisingly big, with a king sized bed, ensuites and couch/lounge area. The lighting in the bathroom took a while to brighten up, but I didn't mind this too much. We had the oceanfront spa suite, and I loved being able to lie in bed and have the view of the ocean. Most nights we slept with the sliding door open (there's a mosquito screen) and I love hearing the waves. Though there were bats in the trees just outside, they were more entertaining than annoying.

Of course being in Fiji you have to dive and this area was famous for it - the Rainbow Reef. I did my open water with the dive instructor Tawake and he made it very comfortable and easy to understand everything and we finished it within 3 days. The diving itself was amazing!! The dive staff were great and knew the sites well so I was totally at ease and they always set up all the equipment so we just had to suit up and jump in. I managed to get in 9 dives in total, but was a little disappointed not to see any sharks though there was a turtle and blue ribbon eels and many more other creatures.

Also, I have to mention the amazing staff!! They were all smiley and friendly and Teresa and her team remembered your drinks and special diets (no wheat) which was nice not to have to keep explaining each time. Enjoyed a few massages and the lady, Paachi was very good and the coconut oil was divine (I bought some back to remind me of the holiday).

The island itself has lots of things to do, unfortunately we didn't have time to do them all but managed to do the Lavena coastal walk and see the Bouma Falls (bring mosquito repellent!), go up to the date line and the pearl farm (got a beautiful pearl for my mother's birthday).

All in all, it was an amazing relaxing yet adventure packed trip. I really did feel like I was at home and I'm looking forward to going back soon.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends