“Such a special place!”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Taveuni Island
Los Angeles, California
“Such a special place!”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at Ronna's beautiful little Coconut Grove for just 2 nights during our honeymoon and totally loved it. We had plans to stay at another hotel (Paradise Taveuni) on Taveuni for the diving during our trip. Once we arrived at the 2nd hotel we immediately contacted Coconut Grove to see if we could go back.

The hotel is very small (only 3 Bure's, no pool), which is intimate and great - it's right on the beach and has a wonderful breeze coming through all night. I was worried that I would be too warm because of a lack of air conditioning, but my wife and I were very comfortable - during the Fijian summer.

The beach is small, but beautiful, the water spectacularly clear, and there is very nice snorkeling right there. You can also rent kayaks and take a little trip to some private islands - maybe a 15 minute kayak trip. They will arrange scuba diving or hiking trips for you as well.

The Bure that we stayed in (Banana) was very cute and clean, with a little stereo and cd's that are provided. Also, a little selection of books left by other travelers. It's not a 4 star resort, but the value is really excellent and the bure was very charming.

The food is excellent! Really the best we had in Fiji and we stayed at a 5 star resort later during our trip. The food here is better. They have their own organic garden and they prepare as much from their own selection as possible with fresh fish coming in daily from local fishermen. All the meals are served on their veranda overlooking the ocean (gorgeous). We never wanted for anything there - whatever we wanted they could not wait to provide. My wife has a severe allergy to dairy and this could not have been less of a problem or an inconvenience for Ronna's kitchen.

All of these things make Coconut worth visiting and certainly worth recommending to our friends and family, but there is something else that is actually more important. There is just a great vibe at this place that is unique and it comes not just from the location, but really from the people. Ronna and her staff are so incredibly warm and genuine - it really is a labor of love for them and it shows in what they do and you feel that when you're there. Thank you Ronna! We'll be back!

Room Tip: Banana Bure - just steps to the beach
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sebastian R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This place is great! We stayed at Coconut Grove for one week in late November and absolutely loved it. The setting is spectacular, with a view through coconut palms, over the reef and out to a number of offshore islands. Our bure was spotlessly clean and the staff were excellent. I strongly recommend the meal plan - the food is outstanding. The snorkeling from the property was the best I've ever done. We didn't even bother going anywhere else. it was especially good off the third little island, which you can kayak out to and land on a secluded little beach. And Taveuni itself is exactly what we were looking for - the natural, pristine South Pacific of legend. We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Get the banana bure and the meal plan
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GregH85737
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I live in Fiji and when I travel to visit the USA, I always spend a couple of nights at the Coconut Grove on Taveuni Island.I have stayed in both the Banana Bure and the Papaya Bure they were spotless and the bed was very comfortable.One of the reasons I keep going back is because Ronna and her staff treat me like a friend and not just like a guest.Plus the food is great I can't say enough about their fish curry, and the coconut and papaya bread yum!They also serve espresso a big plus for me.I really love the dining area over looking the beautiful Pacific Ocean a nice and relaxed way to enjoy your meal.And the dogs and cats who live there add their own special touch.The gift shop has a lot of hand make items wood carvings,jewelry,cards,etc, very beautiful and good prices. And the rates are very reasonable.I can't praise the staff enough they always make me feel welcome,and it really feels real,and that is something sad to say is becoming harder and harder to find in the world today.If you go to Fiji I highly recommend staying at the Coconut Grove

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Ronald H
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Staying at the Coconut Grove was really nice. I was on my way back from another island in Fiji and stayed at this resort while I visited Taveuni. Their service is excellent and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Their food is also delicious and they even have green smoothies!

On my next trip to Fiji I will definitely be staying at the Coconut Grove again. I already miss waking up to the view of the ocean and the sounds of nature, sitting on the hammock to read a book while looking at the ocean and stepping out from the room and going swimming !

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Lidia D
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed 14 December 2011

When it came time to plan our October honeymoon, we had no idea where to start. We wanted to find someplace that neither of us had been before, where we could relax, but also have a lot of adventures and get some good exercise. And most importantly, we wanted to be in a place that offered us the opportunity to learn about a different culture and experience something new everyday. After much research, we stumbled upon Taveuni and Coconut Grove. After reading the description in Lonely Planet and then visiting the website to see what activities and amenities were available, we were sold.

When we arrived on Taveuni, things just got better and better. From the door to door transportation from the airstrip to the welcome song, leis and delicious fruit shakes, everything was perfect and so very welcoming. We stayed in the Papaya Bure for 10 nights; although we were in the smallest bure, we found it to be plenty spacious and enjoyed the privacy that it offered. Coconut Grove is located on a beautiful piece of beachfront, with fantastic snorkeling available just outside your door- its hard to break away and go exploring outside. But we did-- the lavena coastal walk, bouma falls hike, viillage visits, and trip to Sunday services at the Catholic Church are all a must. We had such a wonderful experience exploring all there was to see-- and we have Ronna and her staff to thank for that. Everyone was so knowledgeable about all there was to do, and so willing to help us plan out outings.

Aside from the activities available at Coconut Grove, I should mention that the food was absolutely spectacular! We are both vegetarians and I am a pretty picky eater, but they always made sure that there was plenty on the menu for us to choose from. Delicious fresh fruits and potatoes for breakfast, yummy grilled cheese sandwiches and greek salads for lunch and the best curries and handmade pastas for dinner-- couldn't have been better. In addition, the massages were the best we'd ever had (and very affordable for massages under a thatched roof, on a white sand beach, next to the most beautiful blue water you've ever seen). Finally, all of the animals on the property-- Millie, Popsicle, Harry and Tonto were so much fun to have around-- really completed that 'home away from home' feeling!

Thank you Ronna, Bimla, Rosie, Vina, Kata, Fina, Lagi, Petero, Joe, Talei, Alisi, Popsicle, Millie, Harry and Tonto- we had a wonderful time and can't wait to come back!

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
17.2 km away
Garden Island Resort
Garden Island Resort
#8 of 10 in Taveuni Island

Been to Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages? Share your experiences!