“Tourists in the mist”

and up
Full-Day Abaca Village and Koroyanitu Park Tour
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Lautoka
More attraction details
Owner description: This magnificent park has something for everyone: a chance to explore waterfalls and forests, swim in a mountain stream, picnic, hike or take a rigorous mountain bike trip.
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

If you love a walk & wish to take in a little Fijian highland in.... this is a nice day out. If you drive yourself - rent a four wheel drive at either Nadi or Lautoka where I did from the local car rental company the road can be tricky nearing the village, low clearance will not do. Find your way to the village of Abaca.. yes google maps is a great thing & doesn't detract from adventure. I didn't arrange a tour, but you can - which includes pick up & village ceremony plus a tour guide to take you to waterfalls or up Fijis 2nd largest peak. Google it, its not hard to find information. When you arrive make your way to the information centre of the 94 resident village - a cute colourful wooden structure on the right at the top of the first incline & someone will find you. Pay $15, look at the map & take your pick of directions. The day I was there it rained heavily so I didn't make my way around the whole track, which is only 3 to 4 hours return- wee bit muddy for my slippery sandals, but none the less what I did achieve allowed me to see what a nice day would be like. There is a cute & rudimentary hut that sleeps ten if you want to stay over night, just outside of the village. For huts & tours & ceremonies, book - if you've no experience at finding a track- get a guide, you'll need one. The views on a good day are worth it I'm sure-
what I did see was as expected, a vista of the landscape from high, just in this day with heavy rain, my head was high in mist. Beautiful flowers are to be seen, butterflies, pigeons holla, & the air is tropical clean. Walking is always a joy.

3  Thank hitchenpost
"track"
"forest"
"exercise"

Reviewed 21 February 2017

This place is a little hard to get to. Requires an expensive tour of around $200(Fijian) per person, or a 4X4 taxi can be hired just outside the Lautoka market for $80-$100 round trip total for up to 5 people. It's about a half-hour drive to the village of Abaca where you'll be given a traditional kava welcoming ceremony, charged a $15 fee, and offered a guide, and have the trail options explained. There's a short 30-minute trail to the river with some nice cascades for swimming and an overlook just beyond and across the river of a stunning view of cliffs, waterfalls, and beautiful jungle flora and fauna. This is the only place in FIji where I saw their national bird, the kula or lorikeet. Also saw the bright green and red parrot finches here. This is as far as I got on a rainy and overcast day, but I'd love to return to hike the hour to the waterfall and possibly climb the mountain.

3  Thank MtRainierDave
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I really suggest you hire a guide to lead you to the best places and help you along the route. This is not for amateurs! The steps are steep and often wet. I recommend shoes that you keep on even in the water. Bring bug spray, as there were lots of mosquitos. Our guide took us to
a waterfall for a swim when we were ready to get into that icy water and get rid of the sweat from the hike. It was cool and refreshing!

1  Thank annarc6
Reviewed 28 December 2016

If you are into hikes with rewarding views, this one is not to be missed. We drove to Abaca village from Denarau with our 2 kids (10 and 12) and I recommend a SUV or 4WD but we made it with our sedan, though at times, it was a bit nerve wrecking. Once you get to the village (google Abaca Project), it's $15FJD/person for the entry and $25 for the guide (I highly recommend taking the guide if you opt for the longer hike to the big waterfall) as the trails are not well marked. The views are breathtaking from the beginning to the end. We are avid hikers and this hike was somewhat challenging due to some steep inclines and a couple of creek crossings.

3  Thank Wendy Y
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 October 2016

Koroyanitu National Heritage Park has the most accessible walking trails of Fiji’s two National Heritage Parks. The park was preserves the area’s natural forests and endemic birdlife from clearing for pine forest and encroaching grasslands. At the Abaca visitor centre you can pick up pamphlets and local information, and you’ll find two walking tracks from here. The most challenging (and our favourite!) was the Batilamu Track, which snaked uphill through forest for two hours until it reaching the Mount Batilamu!

3  Thank KarolaRS