“Great to hike Mt. Batilamu/see Abaca”

Koroyanitu National Heritage Park
Book In Advance
More Info
US$117.46*
and up
Full-Day Abaca Village and Koroyanitu Park Tour
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Lautoka
More attraction details
Owner description: This magnificent park has something for everyone: a chance to explore waterfalls and forests, swim in a mountain stream, picnic, hike or take a rigorous mountain bike trip.
Reviewed 13 May 2017

I was coming to Fiji and didn't want to do all the stereotypical touristy-type stuff so I found this as a day trip. I spent the overnight in Latouka at an Air BnB and then arranged to go up to Abaca in the morning.

There's a lot of different information out there about who to book through and I wanted to make sure that I was going to booking through a place that would give the money right to the village and support their tourism project. I got in touch with a woman named Kalolaini (phone number= 8610 394) who arranged a 4WD return pick up from Latouka and the tour through the village and a guide up the mountain for $159 FJD.

The hike up to Mt. Batilamu took about 3 or so hours, with a nice guide from the village and even one of the kids who went barefoot up with us the whole way. The two thirds of the hike I would say are high grasslands (no shade, walking through a field, basically)-- your legs will get scratched up from this!! The last third is rainforest which is cooler temperature wise. The day I went, it was overcast/bit rainy so I didn't actually see anything from the top which was a little disappointing but I enjoy hiking and the exercise.

Then when I came down from the hike, one of the locals cooked me lunch and we ate in their home.

I considered trying to rent my own car and save money but I'm so glad I didn't. The dirt road to Abaca is VERY rough so you definitely need a truck or something with high clearance and I don't think busting up a rental car is worth it. Also not sure about the cell signal/directions to get there.

I would suggest bringing lots of water and a small snack.

6  Thank Sam S
in 5 reviews
"track"
"treks"

Reviewed 11 April 2017

It was nice to get away from the industrial port of Lautoka and see how the locals live.
Booked a tour through Abaca Village for a 3 hour waterfall hike with the best guide ever- Melissa!
Came back to have a local meal with a host family and meet the villagers and children in the area. Abaca has only 100 people in the village and they truly live off the land. Makes you appreciate nature and the hard work the people do for one another to live in the terrain of Koroyanitu.
Amazing experience- great views, moderate hike

2  Thank ADoucy1211
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

If you love a walk & wish to take in a little Fijian highland in.... this is a nice day out. If you drive yourself - rent a four wheel drive at either Nadi or Lautoka where I did from the local car rental company the road can be tricky nearing the village, low clearance will not do. Find your way to the village of Abaca.. yes google maps is a great thing & doesn't detract from adventure. I didn't arrange a tour, but you can - which includes pick up & village ceremony plus a tour guide to take you to waterfalls or up Fijis 2nd largest peak. Google it, its not hard to find information. When you arrive make your way to the information centre of the 94 resident village - a cute colourful wooden structure on the right at the top of the first incline & someone will find you. Pay $15, look at the map & take your pick of directions. The day I was there it rained heavily so I didn't make my way around the whole track, which is only 3 to 4 hours return- wee bit muddy for my slippery sandals, but none the less what I did achieve allowed me to see what a nice day would be like. There is a cute & rudimentary hut that sleeps ten if you want to stay over night, just outside of the village. For huts & tours & ceremonies, book - if you've no experience at finding a track- get a guide, you'll need one. The views on a good day are worth it I'm sure-
what I did see was as expected, a vista of the landscape from high, just in this day with heavy rain, my head was high in mist. Beautiful flowers are to be seen, butterflies, pigeons holla, & the air is tropical clean. Walking is always a joy.

4  Thank hitchenpost
Reviewed 21 February 2017

This place is a little hard to get to. Requires an expensive tour of around $200(Fijian) per person, or a 4X4 taxi can be hired just outside the Lautoka market for $80-$100 round trip total for up to 5 people. It's about a half-hour drive to the village of Abaca where you'll be given a traditional kava welcoming ceremony, charged a $15 fee, and offered a guide, and have the trail options explained. There's a short 30-minute trail to the river with some nice cascades for swimming and an overlook just beyond and across the river of a stunning view of cliffs, waterfalls, and beautiful jungle flora and fauna. This is the only place in FIji where I saw their national bird, the kula or lorikeet. Also saw the bright green and red parrot finches here. This is as far as I got on a rainy and overcast day, but I'd love to return to hike the hour to the waterfall and possibly climb the mountain.

3  Thank MtRainierDave