“Over Hyped”
Review of The Monk

The Monk
Ranked #31 of 2,880 Restaurants in Gurugram (Gurgaon)
Price range: US$10 - US$100
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

I really don't know why this place was one among the top restaurants in Gurgaon from 2010-2015, the food is fine, but the restaurant is not that amazing looking, neither the location is great, not many people would have even known about this restaurant back then.

I would say it is over Hyped, nice PR but nothing that great. A lot of good Chinese restaurants have come up in the city, even some of the takeaways are good. Overtly priced for the service and food they give.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Monk is one of the most amazing fine dine oriental cuisine restaurant I have come across in recent times. I went to this place for lunch and began my meal with one steaming hot bowl of vegetable thukpa noodle soup. It was a sight to look at and tasted even better. Next came Crispy Duck Wonton with pickled vegetables, these were nicely fried and had a juicy duck filing, tasted delicious. Chicken with shredded ginger dimsum, thin outer layer stuffed with juicy chicken filing accompanied with spicy dip, again a fantastic dish. These dishes were accompanied with Long Island Iced Tea which was quite strong and beautifully made.

Coming to the main course, I ordered two of their chicken rice bowls. One was in Sichuan sauce with red chillies and roasted peanuts and other variation was with mushroom in chilly garlic basil sauce. And both of them were delectable but my personal favourite was the Sichuan sauce variant because of the sheer spiciness. In desserts I ate Chocolate & walnut nems with vanilla ice cream, nems is essentially the texture of a spring roll stuffed with chocolate and walnut, quite good in taste. Coconut Caramel Ice Cream topped with mixed nuts, this was my favourite and a perfect way to end my meal.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

You really have to know it exists to reach there. Thus we went through friend references. The ambience is nice though at the first look it looks like a temporary space in a hotel corridor.

The food was highly recommended by friends and it turned out to be a good excuse to go there.

The put off is that with half the restaurant empty, it took them 20 minutes to ask us for water and provide us with menus, after 2 reminders. The order taker was least interested in our orders - no smiles. The servers were as bad. Damp, no interest, no smile or enthusiasm.

The food turned out to be great. This single reason left me ok with my time spent reaching the place and going through my lunch with friends.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

The Monk is quite an old restaurant which got opened 10 years old restaurant. After its opening, it created a space in the hearts of the people for its lipsmacking chinese cuisine.

Recently I paid a visit to this place with my gang. The moment you step into this restaurant, you see live kitchen and 2 different section of sitting area. I tried their chilly chicken and honey chilly potato. Both of them turned out to be so awesome.

Will visit this outlet soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

The monk is located inside the shopping mall of Galaxy hotel in Sector 15, Gurgaon.
It is indeed a nice option to enjoy pan asian food in this area. Loved all kind of dimsums here. A good variety of veg and non veg dimsum offerings they have. Spinach and fresh coconut, dims, pokchoy and wild mushrooms dims, white fungus crunchy dims, oriental veg crystal dims, juicy poach chicken dims, prawns and spicy asparagus dims, schezwan spiced lamb dims, housi kai pao dims. I personally liked spinach and fresh coconut, schezwan lamb, oriental veg crystal and juicy chicken dimsums. One can avail some special offerings on dimsums which runs time to time.

In main course I loved the Teppan style udon veg noodles which consists of seasonal vegetables, roasted sesame seedsin spicy chilli asparagus, bamboo shoots, baby corn and onion cubes in black bean sauce and with it yunan style crispy chicken was heavenly.

In the dessert, the coconut caramel infused ice cream topped with nuts was a crazy and awesome one.

I would love to visit this place again for their authentic and delicious dimsums !