“Good mid-range hotel, best to pick your room”
Review of Tom's Old Mansion

and 1 more site!
Tom's Old Mansion
Ranked #228 of 467 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel/homestay has some nicely decorated spacious rooms. We had the opportunity to pick the rooms. Most of the rooms downstairs are darker, the upstairs rooms are nicer and brighter. We can tell the owner has put some thought in decor making the rooms rather pleasant. We stayed in 213 which is a brightly lit room. The other room 211 is a larger room and owner has put in two AC and two fans. The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and very helpful. ... they even rush breakfast for us so that we can make it to our tour in time. If wifi is important, note that it's only available in the hotel lobby at the time of our stay.

Room Tip: 2nd floor 211 and 213 are good rooms. The one in the far corner above the kitchen has a very humid...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank globaltrotters55

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed in Tom's Old Mansion for a couple of nights in October, 2012. The staff were great, really helpful and friendly. I rocked up late and stayed on the recommendation of a friend, but as I was on my own, and wasn't going to be spending too much time in, I decided to take a cheap room. My room really was cheap and cheerful ... not much room to swing a cat, the bathroom was average, and there was mould on the walls, but they only have a couple of really cheap rooms, and I did choose to stay in one of them! The other rooms were really spacious, totally the opposite ... I mean really large, and they were soooo much nicer than my room, but you pay for what you get, and I was being cheap, so I'm not complaining. The location was ideal, the bed was comfortable enough, it was quiet, and I enjoyed my stay in Fort Kochi. I would stay again ... but I would splurge on a larger room next time.

Room Tip: If you can afford one of the larger rooms,. go for it, they are really spacious and nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lillypillys
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I enjoyed staying here and did so on two occasions. My first stay I reserved online which worked well. Breakfast was included, and I could choose whatever I wanted (!) which was nice.
The staff are friendly (although the man in the restaurant has strong opinions about people from Israel, Russia and also Indian people who live abroad, opinions that he is happy to share) and helpful if you want to store your luggage over the day etc.
Only problem was that sometimes in the night the water started running outside so it sounded like it was raining.

The coconut pancake is delicious. Apart from that the menu is kind of overpriced though.

Room Tip: If the AC isn't working you might have to turn it on with a switch outside the room by the AC.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank balthazaaar
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This property was pretty much standard for a backpacker spot. The bathrooms and rooms were pretty clean - with the exception of some spots on the sheets. The AC worked really well, as did the fan. The best things about this place are definitely the location, which is central, and the courtyard, where you can get a nice Kerala style breakfast. I'm not exactly sure why other reviewers seemed to love this place so much, but to be fair, I only stayed 2 nights.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Allison B
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We had a great stay at Tom's Old Mansion. The definite highlight is the lovely staff, especially Riju the restaurant manager, who does well to ensure everyone has a good time.
The rooms are simple, huge and spotless, and the ones on the top floor are light and airy. Tom's Old Mansion is located in the heart of Princess St, which is right in the center of Fort Kochi and a perfect location for exploring the rest of the area. Great location, comfortable hotel, fantastic staff.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room on the top floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family