and 1 more site!
Tom's Old Mansion
Ranked #225 of 464 Kochi (Cochin) B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We recently stayed at Tom's Old Mansion during our time in Fort Cochin. The building has a lot of character and has a lovely courtyard where you can relax. The rooms are large (high ceilings). The only problem we had with our room was that there were no windows and the bathroom smelt of dirty drains. We managed to put up with that for the 2 nights we spent there but anymore and it would have been too much. I've no idea if this was a problem in every room. As with many places in Fort Cohin, hot water was limited.

On the positive side, the hotel were really helpful when it came to booking a trip to the mountains. We were able to leave our back packs there whilst we sent a night away. They also booked taxis for us and answered any questions we had about the local area.

The breakfast was reasonable.

Room Tip: There were some lovely large rooms upstairs
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 April 2013

This is a well located guest house with nice-enough rooms set around a pretty little courtyard. Although every room appears to have air con units you have to pay more for the management to switch them on. We didn't want to pay the extra so just looked at the units longingly. Otherwise though, staff were pleasant, wifi worked, the rooms and surrounding courtyard were clean and it's well located. The attached restaurant is overpriced though, so seek out your meals elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Neesh_F
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This hotel/homestay has some nicely decorated spacious rooms. We had the opportunity to pick the rooms. Most of the rooms downstairs are darker, the upstairs rooms are nicer and brighter. We can tell the owner has put some thought in decor making the rooms rather pleasant. We stayed in 213 which is a brightly lit room. The other room 211 is a larger room and owner has put in two AC and two fans. The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and very helpful. ... they even rush breakfast for us so that we can make it to our tour in time. If wifi is important, note that it's only available in the hotel lobby at the time of our stay.

Room Tip: 2nd floor 211 and 213 are good rooms. The one in the far corner above the kitchen has a very humid...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank globaltrotters55
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed in Tom's Old Mansion for a couple of nights in October, 2012. The staff were great, really helpful and friendly. I rocked up late and stayed on the recommendation of a friend, but as I was on my own, and wasn't going to be spending too much time in, I decided to take a cheap room. My room really was cheap and cheerful ... not much room to swing a cat, the bathroom was average, and there was mould on the walls, but they only have a couple of really cheap rooms, and I did choose to stay in one of them! The other rooms were really spacious, totally the opposite ... I mean really large, and they were soooo much nicer than my room, but you pay for what you get, and I was being cheap, so I'm not complaining. The location was ideal, the bed was comfortable enough, it was quiet, and I enjoyed my stay in Fort Kochi. I would stay again ... but I would splurge on a larger room next time.

Room Tip: If you can afford one of the larger rooms,. go for it, they are really spacious and nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lillypillys
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I enjoyed staying here and did so on two occasions. My first stay I reserved online which worked well. Breakfast was included, and I could choose whatever I wanted (!) which was nice.
The staff are friendly (although the man in the restaurant has strong opinions about people from Israel, Russia and also Indian people who live abroad, opinions that he is happy to share) and helpful if you want to store your luggage over the day etc.
Only problem was that sometimes in the night the water started running outside so it sounded like it was raining.

The coconut pancake is delicious. Apart from that the menu is kind of overpriced though.

Room Tip: If the AC isn't working you might have to turn it on with a switch outside the room by the AC.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business