“Great Home-stay, Casa Eva Luna.”
Review of Casa Eva Luna

Casa Eva Luna
Ranked #2 of 103 Varkala B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2017

We really enjoyed our stay at Casa Eva Luna. The owners are great people and very helpful. The homestay is off the main road so its very quiet. The rooms are nice and clean. We stayed in the main house which was real nice and there are new rooms in a building out back. Its an easy 10 to 15 minute walk to the cliffs and beach, we felt safe walking even at night. Breakfast was really good, with fresh made bread at the homestay. We came in mid March at the start of the slow season were it starts to get hot, but there were no crowds at the beach and cliff areas. We highly recommend Casa Eva Luna.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but the new rooms are larger.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

There is a gentle homestay in South India's Varkala, a sort of eye in the middle of the storm, secluded and colourful, and both reserved and welcoming, bearing the singing name of Casa Eva Luna. The grounds were like an oasis for us refugees from the Great White North. Mornings were like an enchantment, having my coffee brought to me as I read the newspaper headlines, cuddled by the buzz of a nearby civil conversation in foreign intonations. A few stores and the beach were within walking distance, but returning to the homestay patio, in the shade of the bamboos or palmtrees, was my real goal of the day. And then, I would let myself be transfixed by the cyclical moan of a mysterious animal, as in some of these movie epics of the bygone Raj days. By nightfall, as I sat by the pots of basil and hot peppers, I liked to watch the gardener sweep the leaves and water the plants in respectful silence. Thank you Katia and Esther. From BrendaLee and Jean.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2017

Perfect place to stay in Varkala. Esther and Katrina are fabulous hosts and the house is so beautiful it's a great place to hang out between excursions. Easy walk to the beach, shops and amenities etc. Great food too. Comfortable rooms. No mosquitos. Cannot praise highly enough.

Room Tip: Any room will do as there are great balconies.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2017

I spend a week in January 2017 with my two children and their grandparents at Esther and Kathrin's fantastic homestay. It is a real gem. Peacefully, green and with so many small details taken care of by the hosts. For example, I personally love the fact that you can get filter water (also ice cold!) all the day free of cost. It is great for the environment as well as for us guest. We truly had a wonderful stay. Playing in the hammocks in the garden and getting many good advices and a helping hand whenever we needed it. We felt so much at home. And the place is really value for money. You have a little way to walk to the beach, but it is worth it all. I have been a frequent traveler to India for almost 20 years now - Eva Casa Luna is now top on my favorite list of places to stay in Varkala! I hope to be back in a not too far future.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

First time in Asia, having travelled extensively elsewhere, this was my very first stop. Not sure I could've picked better.

Lovely clean double room with en suite at a price affordable for solo travellers. Mixed crowd at the homestay, which here was a villa set in the jungle right between the temple and the beach, perfect for all the amenities.

WiFi, free water, excellent travel and medical advice (with assistance if requested), will break high denomination notes for you (very useful at the start of a trip) and provision for drinks/ meals if desired. Friendly people, lent me an iron and ironing board and were able to very affordably wash clothes had I needed it.

It's a beautiful enough place that many simply sit out on the terrace in the garden in the evening instead of going out. I had some great conversation there myself. An aryuvedic practice is inside with a separate room so if necessary you can be seen there. One guest used it and spoke highly of it for price and quality. Only downside I could see is that the mosquito net had some holes that I sealed with tape, but that's it. Enjoy!

Well recommended.