“Back to the Kumala Pantai”

Hotel Kumala Pantai
Ranked #30 of 252 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We returned for the third time.Everything was the same as last time.A good place to stay and do day trips from.Two pools and a great breakfast.We noticed that lots of people where stopping for their evening meal as we did once, propably because they have groups or dancing every night.We would certainly recommend the KP and will return in the future

Room Tip: Beware of construction going on next door (behind the white horse) and ask for another block
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Stayed here for 8 nights in August
The room needed a paint job, but then doesn't everything in Bali

The only improvements I would suggest is perhaps the pool bar could have 1/2 price drinks and also some music.

The breakfast was great, but perhaps fresh juice for breakfast would be great instead of the syrupy mix you get.

Apart from that it is great value for the money you pay, will be back next Setpember

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Enjoyable experience! Pool and service great- fab location and security- just wish they exchanged money as I was always having to go out and find decent places to exchange. Lovely breaky - comes recommended :)

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank 21,368
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The ambassador Suite consists of a junior suite and single room connected together by interconnecting door.

It is very spacious. You walk into a large room which has a dining table and then a lounge area. Off to one side is a twin room with bathroom and the other side is a king room with own bathroom too.

For a family of 5 it was very big. It’s $250 Aussie a night and then an extra $31 a night for extra bed which easily fits into the twin room. If you want to avoid the extra bed charge one of your children could sleep on lounge.

There is long balcony that goes right across the rooms and if you can see through the trees and palms it looks onto one of the pools.

Now as for the rooms appearance there is a split decision on this one. We traveled with friends and both the boys (my husband and friend’s husband) thought it was great, but as for us girls we weren’t completely sold. It’s more the traditional Balinese look which means a lot of wood which if done nicely I like, but unfortunately I think wood can date quickly or look tacky. And that’s how I felt about these rooms. It didn’t have that fresh clean feel about it, even tho it was reasonably clean.

However upon saying that, I did stay there happily enough, where as i refuse to stay somewhere like The Jayakarta or melasti. And if I had to stay here again, I wouldn’t be distraught, I just wouldn’t be overly excited about it either.

The grounds are very lush and tropical but we all agreed that they could do with a little pruning as it’s bit overgrown. The pools were great. Both are nice and big with plenty of room to have a spot to yourselves. The kid’s eyes nearly fell out of their heads with all the chlorine but I’d rather that than being dirty. Pool towels look very tired but they’re clean.

The breakfast I felt was very average. They have the normal egg station that cooks omelettes and fries eggs. In the corner you have the over cooked crispy bacon, a few little dishes in the warmers like potatoes, noodles etc. Breads and croissants and some cut up fruit. But no pastries which I found amusing since they have a cabinet with bakery goods in it for sale. No muesli, no different flavoured youghurts or mixed fruit salad. The juice tasted like cordial.
If these hotels want to see what a real breakfast looks like, they should take a look at the Padma. Or even the All Seasons Legian has a nicer breakfast and that’s a really cheap hotel.

The wifi was shocking. You had to pay for it if you wanted it anywhere besides the breakfast area. They need to keep up with the times. And the free wifi in the breakfast area was useless. Most mornings I couldn't load any images on instagram or the like.

Other people have commented on the friendly staff here but I actually beg to differ on this one. Out of all the hotels I've been to in Bali (which is 9 different ones) I found the staff here the least friendly. The security guys up the front were really nice but everyone else was not you normally super friendly bali style.

To sum up, I was happy enough staying here but I would definitely look for somewhere different next time. When you have three children it’s not always easy to find somewhere to stay at a reasonable price so if you are on a budget, and don’t mind the older look then it’s a good option.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank 5_star_baby
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This is going to be a quick review as we only stayed in this room for 5 minutes before changing but since no one seems to have any reviews for the apartments then I thought I would do this separately to our other review.

The apartments are at the very front of the hotel. So you go down the driveway to the reception area to book in, and then back up the driveway to near the road for apartments. They are apparently new since 2009.

I was told beforehand that these rooms have no balcony or opening window which didn’t bother me. It’s nice to sit on a balcony but if you don’t have one then so be it.

When we opened the door the musty/mouldy smell hit us instantly. It was very, very strong and the porter told us this is because no fresh air ever comes in. So there you go, that’s what happens when no balcony or windows can open.

Now whether it was because I had a preconceived idea that the rooms were only 3 years old so was expecting more, I’m not sure, but I was greatly disappointed. The chairs, the doona covers, the wooden furniture is very old fashioned in my opinion. The bathrooms were ok.

You walk into the lounge room with a little kitchenette at end of it, and then either side of the lounge room is a bedroom and both have their own bathroom.

It was $250 Aussie a night booked directly through hotel . When booking I was told that this was all they had left but when going to the reception to change rooms they had an Ambassador suite and Presidential suite available aswell. I’ll review the Ambassador suite and hotel facilities in my next review.

To sum up, the apartment stinks and I can’t see how you could get rid of the smell as you can’t allow any fresh air into the rooms, and personally definitely not my taste. I doesn’t have to have the ritz but there does have to be a certain standard and for me, it just didn’t cut it. Apparently a 4 star hotel, but I would definitely only give it a 3.

Photo's included for your own opinion

Room Tip: Don't pick the apartments. For the same price you can have an Ambassador suite.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Im_Too_Fussy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
0.1 km away
3 km away
Kuta Paradiso Hotel
Kuta Paradiso Hotel
#42 of 252 in Kuta

Been to Hotel Kumala Pantai? Share your experiences!